I had the good fortune to meet @Watergirl at my Drug Foundation talk and I can confirm she gives good hugs and wears lovely jewellery…! She is also a very brave sober warrior who is grinding her way through early sobriety. She wrote this wonderful post in the members feed this morning, it’s so good I’m going to feature it here. Please feel free to add your own ‘Success Reminders’ at the bottom.
From @Watergirl: Good happy sober morning to you all. I spent a fair bit of last night reflecting on where I am at in this process of recovery, a reminder is to myself that it is not just about taking the booze away, it’s also about dealing with the rawness of life, that I am now facing the rawness of my emotions. I have however learnt (through life coaching) to observe my emotions, or as one lady said on ‘The Bubble Hour’; “learn to observe your emotions, pretend you are sitting in the back seat of a car and they are in front of you.”
I also have to remember that emotions are like rain storms – they come and go.
I am going to share with you my success reminders from my life coaching – some people might find this a bit wishy washy, but it has certainly helped me and is definitely a work in progress.
* I will commit to my goals and make them achievable, including career, health, family, spiritually and finance.
* I will be true to myself.
* I will expand my life with new experiences.
* I understand others may not see life as i do and that’s fine.
* Respect others opinions , but I don’t have to own it.
* Surround myself with people who inspire me and are interested in me.
* Have a Mentor.
* Do not judge another, be open.
* Small hurtful words can have huge long term impacts.
* I choose to have empathy with wisdom.
* I will speak well of myself and others.
* I choose to hold myself with the greatest love and respect, and in doing so, I do forgive others and especially forgive myself.
* I resign and release my past with the deepest respect and gratitude.
* I choose to live my life in complete awareness and authenticity.
* I choose to respect protect and nurture my body, mind , soul and emotion.
* I will do my best to be present in my life, and to live by my values and beliefs.
* I will listen to my inner voice and trust it’s guidance.
* I will do my best to think only the best for myself and others, to be conscious of a higher choice.
Thank you for listening It feels good writing that down and reminding myself. Have a great day everyone, stay safe and sober out there.
These would all make good inspiring posters. Or maybe just pick your faves, write down on post-it notes and stick around house ( for all to see and take their own inspiration).
Thanks Watergirl and Stacey for sharing.
I will be true to myself,, love that as never really looked after me,, and I will listen to my inner voice for trust and guidance,, this is working for me also.. this post is fab thank you. xx
Thanks watergirl. I print alcohol-related articles and inspiring blog posts and keep them in a binder, so I can refer to them when I’m feeling “weak”. Not very high-tech, I know, but I’m old-school I guess 🙂 I will be printing this and adding it to my collection. Thanks for posting! xx
This is such a great idea. I love the accessibility of it. I know what I’m going to start doing 🙂
@Lori K , thank you. Xx
Hi Lori K. I’m old school too. I have a binder with all my print outs, means I can pick up at an instant . otherwise things get lost in my computer
@Lori K I do the same. Usually add some relevant images too, to aid with visual inspiration. And put the quotes/text in bold colours
Wow – fantastic and so appropriate for me to hear today. Thank you Watergirl. You are amazing or as our guru would say “you are brave and amazing!”
Thank you so much for sharing this, Really useful and inspiring xx
Ooh I love all your success reminders. I do so love an inspirational quote. Here are a few of my favourites:
* ‘Remember you are a different person now than before. You are wiser and stronger for the trials that you have been through’ – Leon Brown
* ‘Success is liking yourself, liking what you do and liking how you do it’ – Maya
* ‘We are what we repeatedly do’ – Aristotle
* ‘Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy’ – Anne Frank
* ‘Do not dwell in the past,
Do not dream of the future,
Concentrate the mind on the present moment’ – Buddha
* ‘Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway’ – John Wayne
* ‘Your time is limited so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other people’s opinions drown your inner voice. And most importantly have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already knew what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary’. – Steve Jobs
Thanks Stacey , that’s awesome, will add it to my folder. Xx
Oh yes Stacey!! Just awesome, more for my list of inspiration, I need this. Thank you so much xx
I am definitely going to write these done and refer to them daily. Thank you ! Xx
‘Smart hurtful words can have huge long term impacts” That’s going on the board at home. Gotta love not having those alcohol fueled spats. Thanks
That’s so amazing and true. I will write it down and put it up on my wall to remind me to keep going alcohol-free!
Wow! So much there, I think I will copy and print out to put somewhere. I will have to work pretty hard to be that forgiving and kind I’m embarrassed to say but it definitely a goal of mine to only think well of others and not harbor dark feelings because I know they only come back on me.So much growing going on here it blows me away everyday.Thank you so much.
That’s so beautiful. Nothing wishy-washy there! I especially like the second-to-last one. So much easier to hear that inner voice when it is not being constantly drowned out by alcohol.