Reading Material

It's very important that we throw everything at getting sober in the early days, and that includes soaking up as much material as you can related to recovery. This Sober Toolbox is a space for telling others about the great books, blogs, podcasts, articles and other resources that have helped you on your way. If you're looking for more discussion, interactions and feedback, head inside our Members Feed. That's where the real-time conversations take place.

1. Tedthedog 1 year ago

Oh opps posted too soon. Do have a look at Clare Pooleys Sober Diaries and her blog. Middle aged women of the world unite – she is pretty much my age and my story and I go back to her blog often.

2. Tedthedog 1 year ago

I have just finished reading ‘We Are The Luckiest’ (Laura McKowen) and am mid way through How To Quit Like a Women’ (Holly Whitaker). I came across these two women and there podcast Home (they aren’t doing this anymore). They are really different women and have quite different opinions. Laura is the more feeling and spiritual of the two, only my opinion of course! She really spoke to the deep shame I felt about drinking – as if she was in my body and head. She spoke to my heart. Holly sees feisty and really taking on the idea we get alcohol shoved down our throat. Her book is full of strategies and particularly focussed on the things you need to think about doing to strengthen yourself. Its not just about the booze.
    These books are quite new and I would recommend them if you are doing a read-a-thon.
    For me Alan Carr was the man – never doubt the decision.
    Go well all.

3. true555 1 year ago

Books: this naked mind, sober curious, drink, alcohol explained
    Podcasts: addiction unlimited, this naked mind and sober curious, Tara brach
    Apps: insight timer

4. Soup 1 year ago

Alcohol and the addicted brain: New hope for alcoholics from biogenetic research- Kenneth Blum
    This is an in-depth look at the effect of alcohol on the brain and the brain changes that can occur with regular consumption. Scared me sober.

5. pgc1 1 year ago

Allan Carr”easy way to control alcohol”(Don’t let the title fool you).
    This book really worked for me but it’s still just down to you to never drink another drop.

6. AndyMack 1 year ago

I’ve read and am a member of Alcoholics Anonymous .
    The literature is old but effective .
    The part which has been the most effective has been the fellowship of having and being surrounded by like minded people .
    It’s not for everyone but if you reach a point where you have no other option I would personally reccomend it .
    I would suggest trying all other options first because once you come it’s hard to walk away

7. Trace3 1 year ago

Annie Grace’s The Naked Mind
    The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober – Catherine Gray
    Alcoholics Anonymous – Bil Wilson
    Alcohol Explained – William Porter
    Recovery: Freedom From Addiction – Russell Brand
    One Breath at a Time – Kevin Griffin
    Between Breaths – Elizabeth Vargas
    Drinking: A Love Story – Caroline Knapp
    Blackout – Sarah Hepola
    Alcohol Lied to Me – Craig Beck

8. delgirl68 1 year ago

Rachel’s Holiday by Marian Keys. Not a sobriety book as such, it is fiction. Marian is a lovely and hilarious writer. I’ve just listened to this on audiobooks and omg it hits me hard. I read it 20 years ago and recognised myself in there, I always knew the time would come one day where I would have to commit to being clean and sober. Listening to this book again I have (re)learnt much about myself. It’s about a chick who ends up in rehab and her denial with her addiction. It’s not a dark heavy read, some parts are laugh out loud funny, but the underlying message in there is crystal clear. I can’t recommend this book highly enough!

• Shellbells 11 months ago

Just finished this book. Great read, and yes saw myself frequently.

• Whos-The-Lush 1 year ago

I agree, great book and I also saw myself in it.

9. Anonymous 1 year ago

List of recommended books: The Lost Weekend; Blackout; Dry, Drinking: a Love Story; Girl Walks out of a Bar

10. Gidget99 1 year ago

SBS Australia had an excellent interview called Wine O’Clock about 2 years ago. It was a huge wakeup call for me. Not a book, but definitely worth watching.

11. McLynnie 2 years ago

This Naked Mind by Annie Grace (totally changed my mindset).
    Kick the Drink… Easily by Jason Vale (pretty much repeats what Annie says but worded differently).
    Mrs D is Going Without by Lotta Dann (it’s a memoir).
    A Happier Hour by Rebecca Weller
    The Sober Diaries by Clare Pooley
    Lit by Mary Karr
    Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola
    The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray
    Dry by Augusten Burroughs
    Girl Walks Out of a Bar by Lisa F Smith

A friend of mine recommended Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist Path to Recovering from Addiction, which I’m going to take a look at.

12. Jonas1116 2 years ago

Hi all
    Day 14 and starting to struggle. Any recommendations for podcasts to motivate me to keep fighting the good fight?
    J

• DavidFS 2 years ago

Hey @jonas, how are you doing now?

• Jonas1116 1 year ago

Hi David
        I am alright. I broke on Friday and drank 5 beers after 21 days off. I am not beating myself up though. It’s a tough time of year to kick this habit! Managed to not drink today despite going out for dinner last two nights so I will take that point!
        How are you going David?

13. MichaelrpG 2 years ago

Until recently I read a lot of AA literature. However I find their negativity difficult to cope with so I am trying other avenues.
    I like Eckhart Tolle although it can be quite hard work.
    I have recently read Alcohol Lied to Me by Craig Beck. This is really worth a read because he makes the point over and over that alcohol is actually poison an the biggest con trick / illusion known to man.
    I have also read The Naked Mind and The Alcohol Experiment by Annie Grace.

For me after many years of trying, some very difficult and painful, I am now of the mind set that I just DON’T WANT poison in my body.

• AndyMack 1 year ago

Could you explain to me what parts of AA literature are negative ?

• truthangel 2 years ago

Agree totally. When I got it that alcohol is a lethal poison, a con trick, it wasn’t hard for me to quit. I dont like being conned.

14. Shewolf38 2 years ago

Thank you all for the recommendations. I started reading the sober diaries. Funny how her story rings true…..

15. AllesNeu 2 years ago

Alcohol Lie to Me by Craig Beck

16. PabloArg 2 years ago

Alcohol explained
    Alcohol lied to me
    The unexpected joy of being sober
    This naked mind
    The alcohol experiment

17. Maureen 2 years ago

I think William Porter’s Alcohol Explained is the best for a simple easy to understand explanation of what alcohol does to the body and mind. I’ve read a lot of the others. Catherine Gray really is good for the nitty gritty of her worse times and the joy of her sobriety. I’m now listening to Mrs D on audible and doing Sober October. Well done to everyone who has cracked it. ??

18. healthyishnix 2 years ago

Thanks to recommendations on here. I just started listening to Annie Grace’s podcast “This Naked Mind”. Have started at episode 1 (episode 210 has just aired this week) so that I could listen to the whole “journey”. Just finished episode 2 and it’s really great, she’s speaking my language, my behaviour, the relevance is uncanny and scary when you think how many millions of us are in this same boat.

19. maude023 2 years ago

Mrs D is going without : Lotta Dann
    Kick the Drink ….Easily: Jason Vale

20. mkusch 2 years ago

The Sober Diaries by Clare Pooley, Alcohol Lied to Me by Craig Beck

• mkhum 2 years ago

I love The Sober Diaries I will probably reread as soon as I finish, which sadly will be soon.

21. Simo 2 years ago

Alcohol Lied To Me … I found this book really encouraging

22. Betsy19 2 years ago

The Unexpected Joy of being Sober – Catherine Gray

23. MrsFruitTea 2 years ago

The Sober Diaries by Clare Pooley
    Alcohol Lie to Me by Craig Beck

24. Jessica0676 2 years ago

Friends I was 8 days sober n relapsed on day nine. But that was only one day. I still counted the 8 days sober n I counted day 9 the day after I relapsed.. Out of 14 days I’ve been sober 13 days n that’s progress. You don’t have to start over at 1 day. Count your sober days n if u relapse during that time just don’t count that as a sober day but please continue to count your sober days.. That’s what’s kept me going is knowing there is no day 1 again even after a relapse.. We all at the beginning relapse but don’t take away your success with one relapse.. It’s worked 4 me

25. hugh mcfadden 2 years ago

Booze Musings BOOM

26. Hugh McFadden 2 years ago

This Naked Mind

27. ditchick 2 years ago

Pinterest Affirmations on recovery plastered throughout the house..

28. Ryantaiji 2 years ago

“When things fall apart” Pema Chodron

29. Dylan 2 years ago

“Recovery — Freedom from our Addictions” by Russell Brand

30. Bisok 2 years ago

This Naked Mind
    The Alcohol Experiment
    The Biology of Desire

• Maxie 2 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to go on the Barnes and Noble site today and order one or two.

31. brendab 2 years ago

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, tells my story in a hundred different ways, no sugar coating about the affects of my drinking on family, relationships, work and of course me..shows a way out and the importance of connection with others, having a support group of other people who are sober was so important for me, once I stopped drinking for 9 years but didn’t know anyone else who didn’t drink so felt very “other” and ultimately went back to drinking to belong ..that worked out as badly as you would expect..now I have that through AA and it makes me so much more comfortable and resilient…I love the stories at the back of the book, particularly the Australian edition, as I am an Aussie too…take what you need and leave the rest…also Dry by Augusten Burroughs, humorous but also tells the deadly serious story of alcohol addiction and the benefits of sobriety..good luck to everyone…doesn’t matter where or how you find a sober community, but to me it is critical to getting through the darkness..addicts are v sensitive and isolation kills us IMO..B

32. Dixiemama 2 years ago

This Naked Mind by Annie Grace
    Alcohol Lied to Me by Craig Beck
    The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray
    Drink by Ann Dosset Jones(?)
    Alcohol Explained by William Porter
    Blackout by Sarah Hepola

33. mollyroxanne 2 years ago

This Naked Mind.

34. nessibnzl 2 years ago

Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book & Daily reflections
    The unexpected joy of being sober – Catherine Gray
    Mindfulness and the 12 steps – Therese Jacobs-Stewart

35. Dylan 2 years ago

Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism, by James Robert Milam and Katherine Ketcham (Amazon). Provides compelling insights into the physical and mental effects of alcoholism. Reviews: “The most important breakthrough in alcoholism since the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous in 1935.”—Ron Fagan, founder & director, Ceder Hills Alcoholism Treatment Center; “A landmark . . . A must for anyone concerned about drinking.”—Alcoholism, Journal of the American Medical Society on Alcoholism and the Research Society on Alcoholism; “Vital, simple, world-changing information.”—Co-Evolution Quarterly

36. bestself 2 years ago

New member and I want to thank all of you for these recommendations. I will need these books and pod cast’s as I enter this bright new world.

37. Redheadrocks 2 years ago

This TED about addiction is a goody too! https://youtu.be/OJY4GkpRc7U

38. TheBee 2 years ago

I’ve also read Kristi Coulter’s ‘Nothing Good Can Come from This’, Sacha Scoblic’s ‘Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety’ – all harrowing and amazing journeys of self-discovery and courage, but by far and away my favorite as it resonates completely with my own journey is Ruby Warrington’s ‘Sober Curious…’ biography – how to give up something one loves and that hasn’t destroyed our lives or anyone else’s, but just made us realise that life without it IS probably better but it is, after all, a potent drug.

Thanks for the tip. ? Will download it tonight on my Kindle. ?

40. AmyB 2 years ago

This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol by Annie Grace (she also has a podcast)

This book has seriously changed my life. It has changed my life more than any other book, therapy, counselor, class, doctor, or addiction specialist ever did, combined.
    One of my initial hesitations with the book was the fact that it contradicts a lot of the central tenets of Alcoholics Anonymous. I did get sober with AA at one time of my life, but never liked that I had to introduce myself as an “alcoholic” like I was a flawed human being and could only be saved with a “higher” power. Well, the truth is that AA operates on the assumption that there is nothing wrong with alcohol, only with alcoholics. If AA works for you that is wonderful, but for some of us that’s not the case.

There’s something about Annie’s book that almost immediately caused a complete shift in my thinking. She talks about how society and the liquor industry have manipulated us into thinking there is somethings wrong with us if we choose not to drink. When we chose not to drink alcohol we can sometimes be pitied, questioned, thought of as a prude when in reality we are choosing to be healthy and not pour deadly poison into our bodies. Her book introduced me into a complete psychological mind shift.

She’s genuine and talks about her own experiences. I am so thankful that I found this book and her podcast.

• hugh mcfadden 2 years ago

Same here… Fantastic and liberating…

• Gingergal 2 years ago

Allen Carr has a very similar approach and has helped me stay sober for 9 months in the psst

• truthangel 2 years ago

It has changed mine too . Its painted a whole new picture of alcohol by revealing the deep truth about it. No doctor or counselor could explain it like she does. I tried AA years ago and It wasn’t for me at all. Was sober for 3 years but always felt defective and abnormal. Works well for some though.

41. 4wards 2 years ago

The very first book I read was Mrs. D is Going Without- a classic. The Sober Diaries from Claire Pooley is also very good.

42. Julielynn 2 years ago

One of the first books I read was Mrs. D is going without. Now iI am listening to the Unruffled Podcast while driving to and from work.

43. Julielynn 2 years ago

One of the first books I read was Mrs. D is going without. Now i am listening to the Unruffled Podcast while driving to and from work.

44. morgan 2 years ago

DOPAMINE – FEEL GOOD BRAIN CHEMISTRY A must read if feeling low or just setting out on the A/F journey. A wealth of information.

45. Torontosoberina 2 years ago

Drinking: A love Story by Caroline Knapp and Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola are two fantastic reads. They are both brilliant writers.

46. Jocord 2 years ago

Here is a book written by one of our sober tribe, @Daveh.

• DaveH 2 years ago

There are three eBooks that can be downloaded freely from my blog. They are “Alcoholism in a nutshell”, “How to help your alcoholic”, and “Understanding and learning from relapse. They can be downloaded here: https://lyingminds.sixboats.co.nz/links/

47. Seni 2 years ago

I was very impressed by Amy Liptrot, Catherine Gray and Clare Pooley. Fortunately I could read them in my language, in german. Two wonderful german authors are dominik schottner (he lost his father through alcohol) and Susanne Kaloff (she writes about one year without drinking alcohol, after that experience she stayed sober). I’m searching for more books translated into my language, but they are difficult to find.

• Metoday 2 years ago

Hello Seni,

Nüchtern by Daniel Schreiber
      Blackout by Sarah Hepola
      Timm Kruse

Warm regards

48. Sonic 2 years ago

The sober diaries…brilliant

49. Susabelle 2 years ago

I’ve read a few but the following hit home for me. This naked mind by Annie Grace & then the 30 day experiment. Other books prior included Elizabeth Vargus’s story & Gabrielle Glaser’s book “Her Best-Kept Secret”.

50. 71luck 2 years ago

First book I read during my rehab was given to me by my support worker. Highly recommend it, although its not your average “rehab” book as its warts and all : “A Million Little Pieces” by James Frey. Not only eye opening, but real, down and dirty, entertaining and not a whiff of any “how to’s…”
    g

“At the age of 23, James Frey woke up on a plane to find his front teeth knocked out and his nose broken. He had no idea where the plane was headed nor any recollection of the past two weeks. An alcoholic for ten years and a crack addict for three, he checked into a treatment facility shortly after landing. There he was told he could either stop using or die before he reached age 24. This is Frey’s acclaimed account of his six weeks in rehab.” From Amazon

Licensed by NZ Drug Foundation under Creative Commons 4.0 2021. Built by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel.