Reading Material

What are the the books, blogs, articles and other links that have helped you in recovery?

1. Anonymous 11 months ago

“Understanding and learning from relapse” by Stan West. It looks at relapse : why it happens and getting past it. It explains all about triggers and cravings. There’s a free download free on the “Lying Minds” website: https://bit.ly/2OObvs3

2. Matt 11 months ago

“Alcohol lied to me” by Craig Beck. He also has some good YouTube videos as “The stop drinking expert” Helped me reframe my thinking about alcohol and made me realise that it is actually a highly addictive poison that is attractivly packaged and marketed to get me hooked on buying it over and over again. Once I understood this I could rationally make a decision not to consume it anymore. It’s been over a year since i stopped drinking and now see alcohol and the alcohol industry in a whole new light and would never go back to it.

3. Winterz 12 months ago

I find that some books on alcoholism get too bogged down with the negative aspects. Alternately I really liked the positive messages in ‘ The Unexpected Joy of being Sober’ by Catherine Gray.

• Nowlearnon 12 months ago

Yes I listened to the audio version, brilliant book.

4. Eola 12 months ago

Spiritual seeking, Addiction and the Search for Truth, Dr. Gabor Maté

5. Anonymous 12 months ago

We know that a car can’t run on soy milk, or on vinegar. Likewise, if our hearts are meant to strive with love and honesty, why did we feed it with the ephemeral lies of the alcohol? Just some food for thought. x

6. Eola 12 months ago

DR GABOR MATÉ > WHY YOU ARE ADDICTED > LONDON REAL

• DaveH 11 months ago

This lady is a scientist that really understands addiction/alcoholism. It’s always worth listening to what she has to say.

7. Anonymous 12 months ago

That is truly a wonderful video!! Thank You 4 days sober.

8. morgan 1 year ago

https://www.tarabrach.com/from-human-doing-human-being/ – Tara Brach talk about letting go for a bit. Excellent encouragement if feeling like a failure, a problem.

9. WinterZee 1 year ago

My favourite book on alcoholism at the moment is ‘The Naked Mind’ unlike many others books on this subject, it’s very positive and full of lots of interesting research.

10. Chris C. 1 year ago

I recently read “The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath” by Leslie Jameson. It is part memoir and part biography of famous writers/singers who struggled with addiction. I found Ms. Jameson’s story riveting but I skipped through some of the biographies when they felt tedious to me.. The author also gives an exhaustive account of Bill W. and the founding of AA. Overall a good read.

11. Destyni 1 year ago

Book by John Alaric MY PRISON BECAME A PALACE

12. Author
    Mrs D 1 year ago

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12074238 – Fantastic article with great quotes from Doug Sellman

• Jasmaine 1 year ago

That was a good article Mrs D ….very encouraging when you hear someone who drank 2-3dozen a day stop….those urrrrrrgessss though ….sigh 🙁

13. SisterC 1 year ago

I recently read “Integral Recovery – A Revolutionary Approach to the Treatment of Alcoholism and Addiction” by John Dupuy. It takes a holistic approach to addiction and looks at deeper effects of addiction on the brain and the biological, emotional, cognitive and spiritual factors that may need to be addressed. It’s pretty interesting as it’s an evolving practice, and I was able to pick out what I could manage to do. It just gave me another way to understand what’s been happening to me and how my reptilian brain can kick when I least expect it, talking me into old ways!

14. gingermonkeymind 1 year ago

This article by Amelia Hill in The Guardian really got me thinking about the drinking culture and motherhood. Like the author, I don’t remember anyone in my mother’s generation bragging about drinking, and I never once heard the other mothers in her circle referring to wine as “mommy juice.” Regardless of the current culture, there is no shame in being sober, but there is so much joy!

15. Pdxallie 1 year ago

BLOG: Tired of Thinking about Drinking
    BOOK: This Naked Mind by Annie Grace
    PODCAST: The Bubble Hour

• Bert 1 year ago

Pdxallie, thanks. So glad I found Mrs D courtesy of The Bubble Hour. I consumed the first 2 months of her blog yesterday and really relate to Mrs D’s experience and approach. Thanks Mrs D! I’m also on The Alcohol Experiment with Annie Grace. I treasure the support these communities offer.

16. Carol48 1 year ago

The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray
    Tired of Thinking About Drinking by Belle Robertson
    Unwasted by sasha Z Scoblic
    28 Day Alcohol free challenge by Andy Ramage and Ruari Fairbairns

17. SeaWee 1 year ago

I always find myself back here. Alcohol destroys. I go for very long times ‘normal’ meaning, I can have a few drinks and not overdo it- and then…..BOOM!

I have to much, and act totally 100% stupid.

This just happened Friday night. With my wonderful boyfriend of 3 months.

There has been a lot of stress in my life lately, moving …buying an apartment… dealing with the fact my new BF suffers from ED. Being scared entering a new relationship and etc.

Simply put, i drank to much and said a bunch of terrible things that sober SeaWee never would- including pushing the relationship and all that stupid stuff.

We talked it through and he wants to leave the evening in the past, but I am having trouble believing that, and not thinking the worst…. as in…. he’ll dump me over it. He has reassured me everything is ok and he just wants to move on- saying ‘It’s okay, it’s the past’ and etc.

This is fresh though, and I know if it ends it’s all on me.

Alcohol sneaks up and hurts you. It just does.

And I will have to live with the consequences of my actions if this wonderful man leaves me.

• pinnerp 7 months ago

How are y U going now?

18. Trace 1 year ago
  19. Woolfred 1 year ago

The Alcoholism & Addiction Cure
    (A holistic approach to total recovery)
    By Chris Prentiss

20. Anonymous 1 year ago

Personal Reflections: On Quitting Alcohol and Quitting “Alcoholic”
    (a blog post on the Inner Compass Initiative website)

21. Kirst 1 year ago

https://amp-smh-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.smh.com.au/national/how-much-booze-can-you-drink-before-it-starts-killing-you-not-much-20180412-p4z9a9.html – How Much Booze Can You Drink Before It Starts Killing You – Not Much! – Sidney Herald article 12/4/2018

22. DaveH 1 year ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqtZjpI1oVQ – Fabulous recovery story. Specifically focused on women.

23. SteveF 1 year ago

Calm your mind. Not sure where to post this but this music video is incredibly calming for the mind. Since going alcohol free my anxiety is raw.

24. Elsa1202 1 year ago

This link was shared by one of our lovely members and I got so much out of reading it I thought it should be here. Thanks so much for sharing it @begoodtomyself ! http://www.hipsobriety.com/home/2018/3/24/not-an-alcoholic

25. Redbird 1 year ago

my favorite drinking a love story by caroline knapp and diary of an alcoholic wife by Brenda wilhelmson

26. Anonymous 1 year ago

Also the good house
    !

27. Anonymous 1 year ago

Great book and it’s a MUST read !!!
    Two other books I highly recommend are
    A Happier Hour by Rebecca Weller
    Blackout remembering the things I drank to forget by Sarah hepola
    Funny moving and so well written. All three gave me a voice to my feelings . Day 18 !

28. Kelly 1 year ago

I have read 3 of those books ; very good; will plan on reading the others–every little bit helps; congratulations on reaching day 24! I hope u have made it to day 25… Best wishes

29. Anonymous 1 year ago

I liked his smoking book but I didn’t like his drinking book so much. I read his autobiography he wasn’t a big drinker and he didn’t ever stop drinking, he thought he could apply his smoking method to drinking but didn’t feel up to writing the book himself to tried to get an ex alcoholic to do it but didn’t like the result, so he did it himself but reluctantly. For me Alcohol Explained is a much better application of the Allen Carr approach to drinking than Allen Carr did.

30. Carrie4 1 year ago

Hi, I have just read Allen Carrs’ book for women on alcohol and also listened to his easyway stop smoking. I find his take on the addiction quite refreshing. Has anyone else read his books and if so what are your thoughts I would love to know?

• gottlob 1 year ago

I read his book on drinking and couldn’t get on with it – it just seemed too simplistic and dogmatic. Having said that obviously it does suit some people – Chriss Hynde of the Pretenders being a well-known example, but she seems an all or nothing kind of person. My feeling is give it a crack. There is no one size fits all solution, and it might work for you. Me, I’m currently reading “Alcohol Explained” as recommended by several people here. So far it seems pretty good.

31. Kit 1 year ago

“Alcohol Explained” by William Porter. “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace

32. TipsyToeGal 1 year ago

Not sure if this counts but it is a video I ran across recently that just totally uplifted me regarding Day 1 start overs.

It is literally called “Day 1”. (of the rest of my life). Lyrics are included. It is upbeat and motivating! Take a listen!

33. SteveF 1 year ago

“Waking up he Ghost” is a wonderful blog by Marilyn Spiller. She is brutally honest about her relationship with alcohol. She has been alcohol free for many years now and works as a counselor for those going through rehab. You can learn a lot from her posts. She was interviewed by Mrs D. I highly recommend checking it out.

34. Kamie 1 year ago

Day 6: I did it! My cravings hit hard at 3:30. I was so nervous because I had a party to attend at a bar. I went to the party and drank Diet Coke. There is no doubt the first 40 minutes were awful and I had lots of “sober life is a bore” chats going on in my head which I did my best to squish down. But then I found some modest drinkers and sat and joined them. I knew if I hung to much my usual boozy friends I would lapse so I said hello but didn’t linger. I was once asked if my glass was tall because it was a double to which my husband replied “no double we are having baby #4” LOL I think he was actually wondering (I am far to old for more babies LOL) anyway we stayed about 2 hours and I left to drive my son to a event. I am so freaking proud of myself!

• Nowlearnon 12 months ago

Brilliant stay strong not drinking seems, to bring out the worst in some drinkers. They have a problem with there, own drinking, so they attack others.

35. Anonymous 1 year ago

Alcohol Explained is phenomenal, it explains everything, every chapter is like a light bulb moment. It makes you see alcohol completely differently. You can read the first 5 chapters here:

36. Kamie 1 year ago

The alcohol experiment has really encouraged me to stop drinking and to change the way I think about drinking. I also love the science and evidence she provides to back up her information. I also enjoy the podcast the sober sassy life. She got me at the intro with “are you tired of your wine belly, embarrassed about your booze boobs, looking for something different than your evening rondez vous with the Chardonnay?” Everyone one of her podcasts has made me look at things differently.

37. gottlob 1 year ago

One of the books I’ve found most helpful recently is actually a novel – “Nina is not OK” by Shappi Khorsandi. The subject matter is grim, not just on the drinking front, but it’s a really accurate portrayal of the drinking mindset, and I found it really uplifting and oddly cheering.

38. NotLookingBack 1 year ago

This Naked Mind by Annie Grace (also doing the 30 day Alcohol Experiment)
    Mrs D is Going Without by Lotta Dann
    Tired of Thinking About Drinking by Belle Robertson (also doing the 100 day challenge)
    The Sober Diaries by Clare Pooley
    Blackout by Sarah Hepola
    Alcohol Mastery by Kevin O’Hara (outstanding youtube videos)
    Kick the Drink Easily by Jason Vale

Whew….my Kindle is smoking these days. 🙂

24 days sober and not looking back.

~NLB~

39. Kit 2 years ago

Day 10 alcohol free at this time. I am finding the resources on this site of tremendous help. Also, “Alcohol Explained” by William Porter. Also I am following the 30 Alcohol Experiment by Annie Grace. Also, Dr. Amy Johnson online is tremendous for me. We are all different and our journeys and paths will certainly vary, these are some of the most poignant areas of help for me at this time on my journey. Many thanks! Pease to All!

There’s an easy to read article here on the same topic.

• ariesmac84 2 years ago

loved that article !!! thanks for sharing

Alcohol and metal health. It seems not even the experts are clear. This is a journal from North America which tries to explore alcoholism and mental health and how doctors should investigate alcoholism, alcohol induced mental health issues and independent mental health conditions that are inflamed by alcohol. Having been through this process it starts to break out the difference, it’s a long read and the diagram at the bottom summarises all the words clearly. I found this insightful. https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh26-2/90-98.htm

42. Frog 2 years ago

Here’s a quick site on Alcohol Withdrawal: http://hams.cc/odds

Living Sober by NZ Drug Foundation is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Built with love by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel. 2019.