Reading Material

It's very important that we throw everything at getting sober in the early days, and that includes soaking up as much material as you can related to recovery. This Sober Toolbox is a space for telling others about the great books, blogs, podcasts, articles and other resources that have helped you on your way. If you're looking for more discussion, interactions and feedback, head inside our Members Feed. That's where the real-time conversations take place.

1. NewStartSteph 1 year ago

Highly recommend “Kick the drink… Easily!” by Jason Vale. Makes you realise how messed up our beliefs about alcohol are. Seeing it clearly for what it is for the first time in my life. This book may be the one that makes me truly never want to go back.

• maude023 6 months ago

I felt exactly the same by the time I finished his book the first time I had stopped drinking. When things got tough after a couple of weeks I reread and it so helped to keep me sober

2. 75sober 1 year ago

I struggled in AA with reaching my higher power “as I understood it”. I read a book called ‘We Alcoholics, The Luckiest People On Earth’ pretty intersting approach, it’s a short book but cool for me since i struggle with religion

3. Kirds 1 year ago

Definitely ‘This Naked Mind’ by Annie Grace 🙂

• delgirl68 1 year ago

I haven’t read her book but I really enjoy the podcasts

4. SandyA 1 year ago

I’m hoping to stay sober today, can anyone recommend some good books, blogs or other links that were helpful to your recovery. Thank you.

• lealor 1 year ago

The book living sober. Also on you tube their are affirmations for recovery and they sure help me

• Michael6 1 year ago

I am finding The unexpected joy of being sober by Catherine Grey helpful.

5. jamieann 1 year ago

craig fergusen speaks from the heart on you tube. 12 min. Funny and thought provoking at the same time

• barnmomma 12 months ago

Oh my gosh, I’d never heard of him, but this video was awesome! Thanks so much for the tip.

• Travelbug 1 year ago

OMG, Hilarious. I just watched this.

6. Mongoose 1 year ago

My first books that got me through this sober life of 46 days was Sober Diaries by Clare Pooley, The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray and Glass Half Full by Lucy Rocca. I am in the middle of This Naked Mind by Annie Grace and also Mrs D is Going Without which got me onto this site. I have found these books to be my friends over this initial sober period and made me realise what I am gaining instead of what I am giving up. Complete shift in thinking, so positive in really seeing the benefits of this sober life and really seeing what alcohol was doing to my life and my poor brain. Such humour and humility, I have loved every page and each page has got me stronger and stronger.

• Sonic 12 months ago

Read Sober Diaries I’m 87 days AF will read othersx

7. Siouxs 1 year ago

http://sobersassenach.com – A blend of book fandom and sobriety!

8. sonicgirl 1 year ago

http://www.hipsobriety.com/home/sobrietyisfabulous – Huge positive reinforcement

• Genesis 1 year ago

how much does hip sobriety cost? is it really expensive?

9. Anonymous 1 year ago

1. ‘This naked Mind’ by Annie Grace – currently listening to the audiobook on audible.

2. hipsobriety.com – I am currently on week 2 of the 8 week Hip Sobriety School, I also received a scholarship for this course, this can be applied for once you join the waitlist and start receiving emails etc.

Here is Hip Sobrietys 15 essential books to build a holistic recovery: http://www.hipsobriety.com/home/2016/2/19/the-hip-sobriety-booklist-1-the-11-essential-books-on-n6syb

2. lauramckowen.com https://www.lauramckowen.com/

4. Laura and Holly also have a podcast called HOME, you can listen to free here https://soundcloud.com/thisishomepod

5. Join the sobersphere on Instagram and follow all the kickass sober warriors like Laura and Holly for daily inspo.

4. ‘Chasing the Scream’ by Johann Hari – this booked changed everything I thought I knew about alcohol and drugs.

6. Slowly reading my way through ‘A Course in Miracles’ http://acim.org/

5. Looking forward to reading ‘Nothing good can come from this’ by Kristi Coulter, Finding Joy by

• becc 1 year ago

Love “This Naked Mind”!!! thanks for all the great resources.

10. Anonymous 1 year ago

I listened to it as well just on audible. I hope it works. feeling like there is more to the little monster though than they make out. ie you feel tired etc when you stop drinking.

11. ylang-ylang 1 year ago

http://www.thisblewmymind.com/the-most-powerful-drunk-driving-ad-ever/ – Why we need to be 100% sober on the road.

• Timidwarrior 1 year ago

Umm…..wow…this is so confronting. Thank you for sharing this. I fear that if I drink I will purposely drive in to a power pole….Everytime I have those thoughts I am going to watch this…

• jamieann 1 year ago

OMG i need to watch this every day

12. Amy 1 year ago

I reread Allen Carr’s book for alcoholic woman this past weekend. I feel empowered. This is not an easy time to be a woman and we need to stay strong.

• lealor 1 year ago

How are you Amy?

13. Soberkiwi 1 year ago

OMG….just seen all my replies to my own ‘wrong post’ – didn’t think they had come up … gawd..admin, feel free to delete some…. awkward….!! (last post…promise..)

14. Soberkiwi 1 year ago

I posted the wrong link and it won’t let me change it – but you can find my Sober Doodles on my I.G account which is @soberdoodles

15. Soberkiwi 1 year ago

When I became sober, I doodled and shared them with my sober tribe at the time – sharing in case others are starting out and find them useful. I have been sober 6 months tomorrow…..

16. Kirsty 1 year ago

Yes Allen Carr in my opinion is a genius and the one who started the whole approach to quitting not using willpower. His books on smoking and drinking truly changed me. I’ve read others since and The Naked Mind is great but a lot of it is based on Allen Carr’s ideas – which is fine and she refers to him etc. Plus I like how she (Annie grace) goes deeper and explains the science of what happens to the brain on alcohol. Very eye opening.

17. Ladyhawke 1 year ago

Raw and honest video from Kevin O’Hara on How to Make the Final Decision to Stop Drinking Alcohol Stick?

• @Freeofit 9 months ago

Have now watched a couple of his. Really useful commentary; talks straight in language I understand. Thanks for sharing.

• Megnesium 1 year ago

Thanks for sharing I enjoyed it

• joanna-c-l 1 year ago

Very helpful Thanks

18. Misti1970 1 year ago

I read the Sober Diaries. I really enjoyed it.

19. Ellifant 1 year ago

Very excited that after a long wait, Kristi Coulter has released her book ‘Nothing Good Can Come from This.’ It features her essay ‘Want Not’ which was what started to challenge my ‘drinking thinking’ last year! She is a beautiful writer with wonderful insights…

20. MJK56 1 year ago

To date Ive found Kevin O’Hara, Alcohol Mastery videos very useful. I’ve just listened to the utube content and not registered for the mastery course however. The free videos alone have been very helpful.

“Understanding and learning from relapse” by Stan West. It looks at relapse : why it happens and getting past it. It explains all about triggers and cravings. There’s a free download free on the “Lying Minds” website: https://bit.ly/2OObvs3

22. Matt 2 years ago

“Alcohol lied to me” by Craig Beck. He also has some good YouTube videos as “The stop drinking expert” Helped me reframe my thinking about alcohol and made me realise that it is actually a highly addictive poison that is attractivly packaged and marketed to get me hooked on buying it over and over again. Once I understood this I could rationally make a decision not to consume it anymore. It’s been over a year since i stopped drinking and now see alcohol and the alcohol industry in a whole new light and would never go back to it.

23. Winterz 2 years ago

I find that some books on alcoholism get too bogged down with the negative aspects. Alternately I really liked the positive messages in ‘ The Unexpected Joy of being Sober’ by Catherine Gray.

• Nowlearnon 2 years ago

Yes I listened to the audio version, brilliant book.

24. Eola 2 years ago

Spiritual seeking, Addiction and the Search for Truth, Dr. Gabor Maté

We know that a car can’t run on soy milk, or on vinegar. Likewise, if our hearts are meant to strive with love and honesty, why did we feed it with the ephemeral lies of the alcohol? Just some food for thought. x

26. Eola 2 years ago

DR GABOR MATÉ > WHY YOU ARE ADDICTED > LONDON REAL

• DaveH 1 year ago

This lady is a scientist that really understands addiction/alcoholism. It’s always worth listening to what she has to say.

That is truly a wonderful video!! Thank You 4 days sober.

28. morgan 2 years ago

https://www.tarabrach.com/from-human-doing-human-being/ – Tara Brach talk about letting go for a bit. Excellent encouragement if feeling like a failure, a problem.

29. WinterZee 2 years ago

My favourite book on alcoholism at the moment is ‘The Naked Mind’ unlike many others books on this subject, it’s very positive and full of lots of interesting research.

30. Chris C. 2 years ago

I recently read “The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath” by Leslie Jameson. It is part memoir and part biography of famous writers/singers who struggled with addiction. I found Ms. Jameson’s story riveting but I skipped through some of the biographies when they felt tedious to me.. The author also gives an exhaustive account of Bill W. and the founding of AA. Overall a good read.

31. Destyni 2 years ago

Book by John Alaric MY PRISON BECAME A PALACE

32. Author
    Mrs D 2 years ago

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12074238 – Fantastic article with great quotes from Doug Sellman

• Jasmaine 2 years ago

That was a good article Mrs D ….very encouraging when you hear someone who drank 2-3dozen a day stop….those urrrrrrgessss though ….sigh 🙁

33. SisterC 2 years ago

I recently read “Integral Recovery – A Revolutionary Approach to the Treatment of Alcoholism and Addiction” by John Dupuy. It takes a holistic approach to addiction and looks at deeper effects of addiction on the brain and the biological, emotional, cognitive and spiritual factors that may need to be addressed. It’s pretty interesting as it’s an evolving practice, and I was able to pick out what I could manage to do. It just gave me another way to understand what’s been happening to me and how my reptilian brain can kick when I least expect it, talking me into old ways!

34. gingermonkeymind 2 years ago

This article by Amelia Hill in The Guardian really got me thinking about the drinking culture and motherhood. Like the author, I don’t remember anyone in my mother’s generation bragging about drinking, and I never once heard the other mothers in her circle referring to wine as “mommy juice.” Regardless of the current culture, there is no shame in being sober, but there is so much joy!

35. Pdxallie 2 years ago

BLOG: Tired of Thinking about Drinking
    BOOK: This Naked Mind by Annie Grace
    PODCAST: The Bubble Hour

• Bert 2 years ago

Pdxallie, thanks. So glad I found Mrs D courtesy of The Bubble Hour. I consumed the first 2 months of her blog yesterday and really relate to Mrs D’s experience and approach. Thanks Mrs D! I’m also on The Alcohol Experiment with Annie Grace. I treasure the support these communities offer.

36. Carol48 2 years ago

The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray
    Tired of Thinking About Drinking by Belle Robertson
    Unwasted by sasha Z Scoblic
    28 Day Alcohol free challenge by Andy Ramage and Ruari Fairbairns

37. SeaWee 2 years ago

I always find myself back here. Alcohol destroys. I go for very long times ‘normal’ meaning, I can have a few drinks and not overdo it- and then…..BOOM!

I have to much, and act totally 100% stupid.

This just happened Friday night. With my wonderful boyfriend of 3 months.

There has been a lot of stress in my life lately, moving …buying an apartment… dealing with the fact my new BF suffers from ED. Being scared entering a new relationship and etc.

Simply put, i drank to much and said a bunch of terrible things that sober SeaWee never would- including pushing the relationship and all that stupid stuff.

We talked it through and he wants to leave the evening in the past, but I am having trouble believing that, and not thinking the worst…. as in…. he’ll dump me over it. He has reassured me everything is ok and he just wants to move on- saying ‘It’s okay, it’s the past’ and etc.

This is fresh though, and I know if it ends it’s all on me.

Alcohol sneaks up and hurts you. It just does.

And I will have to live with the consequences of my actions if this wonderful man leaves me.

• pinnerp 1 year ago

How are y U going now?

38. Trace 2 years ago
  39. Woolfred 2 years ago

The Alcoholism & Addiction Cure
    (A holistic approach to total recovery)
    By Chris Prentiss

Personal Reflections: On Quitting Alcohol and Quitting “Alcoholic”
    (a blog post on the Inner Compass Initiative website)

41. Kirst 2 years ago

https://amp-smh-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.smh.com.au/national/how-much-booze-can-you-drink-before-it-starts-killing-you-not-much-20180412-p4z9a9.html – How Much Booze Can You Drink Before It Starts Killing You – Not Much! – Sidney Herald article 12/4/2018

42. DaveH 2 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqtZjpI1oVQ – Fabulous recovery story. Specifically focused on women.

Licensed by NZ Drug Foundation under Creative Commons 4.0 2020. Built by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel.