Getting through wine o’clock

Late in the afternoon is often the hardest time. How do you get through the witching hours without drinking?

1,052 Comments
  1. Anonymous 9 months ago

Looking for ideas to keep me busy

2. Anonymous 9 months ago

For me waking bright eyed makes for a long day to stay occupied. Open to all ideas to harness positive thoughts and keep myself out of trouble.

3. Michelle 10 months ago

Hiya it is bloody hard i have begun my journey of booze free haven’t been too successful keep falling off but I keep coming back because i want to stop boozing every night. I want to feel the feelings of being sober every day and deal with raw emotions that mrs d writes about in her book. I haven’t had the greatest of sleep I’ve only been sober 2 nights. But hey what the hell 2 nights without a hangover the next morning. Bloody bladder working overtime during the night probably cleaning out toxins. Stay strong lets keep the lines of communication open.

4. Anonymous 10 months ago

You can do it!

5. Anonymous 10 months ago

Day 1 again oh how many times i have been here. I’m really tired of fighting booze. How come its so hard its only booze and yet i let it control me. I drink i don’t have a good sleep tired all day headache as by 4pm I’m fine again. The cycle begins. Love this site

6. RenaissanceLady74 10 months ago

Organic Kumbucha…fizzy, little to no sugar and kind of looks like beer!

7. Bead 10 months ago

Whatever it takes! I’m on the sparkling water also, in the past when I’ve quit I tried na Beer and honestly that’s not the answer for me, heck I’d drink 12 of them. I’ve made it 6 months before and let it back in but for me it doesn’t change, only gets worse. I’m going to battle this demon, I will win and I hope you do too

8. Anonymous 10 months ago

Looking for a supportive place while I try again to give up my nightly bottle of wine.

9. Anonymous 10 months ago

Day one…your stories are inspirational

10. quail 10 months ago

Whaaha ! ‘ wine o’clock ‘ perfect terminology. I’ve got something to giggle about when I catch myself doing the wine-dream at 5:30. Y’all are great.

11. Anonymous 10 months ago

So I’m not alone… I have a grand baby coming soon and I want to be there for him

• MOG 10 months ago

Grand babies are a wonderful joy, and also a stress. Being sober is a good way to be more present for your wee one. Good for you!

12. Anonymous 10 months ago

Want to give up my nightly wine

13. Mary Grenier 10 months ago

Want to give up my nightly wine

14. Brad 10 months ago

Tomorrow will be day 30 for me also. Will be my 4th time quitting. I have to do this to better my life for me and my kids. The ups and downs are manic. Feels so good then 4pm hits then it’s a struggle until late evening

• Jasmaine 10 months ago

Me too Brad, I gotta do this for my kids as well. I don’t want them to use alcohol to enjoy or get through life like me. Day 30 is awesome. I’m day 22. Try to remember why your doing this and like Mrs d says visualise the next day and how good you’ll feel. I’m tryna do that. But yeah evenings are hard specially when my hubbys having a few and I’m bored and irritated. I drink sparkly grapetise in a new wine glass I bought specially. Drink something similar in a similar vessel see how that works. I hear ya mate!!

15. Teri64 10 months ago

Day 1 & I feel ok. Have had 2 weeks off work – had terrible symptoms, could not eat for 8 days, dryretching etc. have never felt so bad. Went to a dr a few days ago & told the truth. I was drinking one to 2 bottles every night & more on the weekend…drinking during the day & also scotch on the rocks. I have been pushing friends away & lost my zest for life. I’m trying all the help I can get & will try hypnotherapy tomorrow. I have a few times to quit before, but this is it.

• Anonymous 10 months ago

I hear you, at my worst that is me too – at my best a week or two off but the detox is like having the flu plus exhaustion plus mood swings… hard to understand why we go back for more! I’m trying to attack the beast from all angles…life coach, naturopath, meditation courses, yoga – whatever it takes…I try not to beat myself up when I slip backwards but it’s is hard.
      Stay strong and focused. I’m interested to hear how the hypnotherapy goes…

16. Poppy88 10 months ago

I have a 7 year old! But seriously that works both ways, need a release have wine, need to be present, don’t have wine. I usually have a snack, I know replacing one with another and all that but at least I don’t want a drink. Sunny afternoons are the trigger though. Man what’s with sun and booze? Sun comes out, that already makes you happy vitamin d and all that jazz then we want another hit of the fun buzz. I’m actually looking forward to beating that and just enjoying my soda water with flavoured syrup. Pretty sure I’d choose better music too without the booze in me, at our summer party’s. Win-win I say

• Jasmaine 10 months ago

I’m afraid of summer too. Good vibes plus alcohol equals better good vibes doesn’t it??….no not really. Fir me it means drinking way too much, my kids seeing me pissed, not being present with them on that fine day, waking up feeling like shit and the biggest fir me is bloody guilt, guilt, regret and you know the rest…isn’t that why we’re tryna stop??…..for me anyway. Well done on your journey….your winning!!!!!!!!! Bring on summer?? Lol…we can do it!!!

17. Anonymous 10 months ago

It’s a struggle but quite frankly I’m tired of being sick and making an ass out of myself.

• Poppy88 10 months ago

I’m using this for my explanation if anyone asks why I’m not drinking. Love it!

18. Horsehead 10 months ago

Me too! We can do it!

19. Horsehead 10 months ago

I love seltzer water too! I appreciate yr post lots. Makes sense!

20. Jmom90 10 months ago

Going on day 4 after breaking a 2 week streak.

21. NinaR 10 months ago

I live in New York and am always in a busy and also affluent part of the city around the witching hour. So I daily find myself walking past window after window through which I see handsome people chatting and smiling over that first full glass of wine. And even after 4 and a half terrific sober years, I still find myself thinking “Poor me!! Why can’t I do that any more?” And I find it best to remind myself that feeling like this is normal for an ex-drunk, and it’s familiar to me–and it WON’T corrupt my sobriety. It’s a feeling I know and I know it won’t weaken me. And I like seltzer water, and you can buy a bottle of seltzer every 10 feet in NY. Just knowing I’ve had these witching hour feelings for 4.5 years, and knowing I can probably expect them forever, and knowing I”m already used to them, helps a lot. So I hope this helps any new sober people who think the witching hour is just for newbies–it’s not at all, and it will be a nuisance you will get used to. And look at all the people who are ready to help you get through it!

22. Anonymous 10 months ago

Except for special non-alcoholic kombucha, most contain 0.5 to 2.0% alcohol.

• kitten 10 months ago

i love kombucha. i did not know i needed special non-alcoholic kombucha… how do i know if it is the special kind?

23. TAS 10 months ago

Late afternoon is REALLY tough…I try to stay busy. I will lift weights. Go for a walk. Clean my car. Water my garden. Meditate. Focus on whats st stake if I drink even 1 drink…

24. Anonymous 10 months ago

29 days ago i quit alcohol for good.

25. Blessed 10 months ago

I’m 13 days sober, and I’ve found knitting to be my help. Unfortunately the voice is still there, but knitting and keeping my hands busy helps to squelch my voice. When the urge is really strong, I keep thinking of how hard the last 13 days have been, and ask myself if I really want to go back to day one? If I can keep the voice to a murmur, I can get past those first couple of hours…then I celebrate when I realize I’m going to bed sober.

26. Tikigirl 11 months ago

Day 6 and first post. Started out as ‘dry July’ but having just finished ‘Mrs D is going without’ I’ve realised my problem is bigger than I liked to admit. I scarily related to too much in that book.
    Now feeling a bit emotional and overwhelmed by it all 🙁

• Blackbird72 10 months ago

I really relate to that book too. There’s a quote I heard somewhere. Something like ‘every journey starts with a single step ‘ you get the idea. Keep on!

• Lakeview 10 months ago

Hi @Tikigirl, I going to get book and read it, Im day 4, at lest you started dry july, i didnt even make that, i had to have an accicent to stop. Its really sobering to see how unsober we actually are I agree. Im overwhelmed and scared as well, we can do this, we will make it, 6 days is great , lets not drink together today eh

• NinaR 10 months ago

Hi, this is my first day at this site, and even though I haven’t read this book, I know what being overwhelmed and emotional can feel like. You did the very best thing for yourself by reaching out: you need to know that other people have felt this too. I’ve been sober since Jan 2014 and I can realize on any day that “my problem is bigger than I liked to admit.” You may not feel it right now, but you have incredible gifts waiting for you in sobriety: you will make true and stronger friendships than you may have made in the past; you won’t be ashamed any more! (that’s a big one); you’ll find interested in something and you can really dig into it, pursue it, and make connections through your interest–without booze lubricating everything into the swamp that booze turns good stuff into. And your relationships will change, and that can be extremely hard, and there is help for those challenges. People have been where you are–and wondered how the hell we’ll get to the next week or month like this. And the truth holds fast, as truth tends to do: every sober moment is better than every drunk moment. People will help. Always always reach out is some way when you feel yourself teetering, or darkening.

• Jasmaine 10 months ago

Hi @tikigirl….isn’t it a great book? I’m on my second time….and it’s pushed me to the end!! Mrs D is someone whom I related to heaps with booze just being a part of ‘life’….but realising how utterly unhappy I was/am made me tired and sick or sick and tired lol….are you from NZ?….keep going tikigirl…I will fight this with you as I’m only on day 6 but your on day 14!!!!One day at a time….no one minute st a time………….I hear you xo

27. Anonymous 11 months ago

Day 21 it is scary when i dont have urges because i know they are hiding in the shadows. Urges seem to pop up when least expected, at times tiring to keep guard up. However, a chamomile tea with carbonated water seema to help.

28. Anonymous 11 months ago

Day 3 … wine o’clock …English breakfast ice tea, macadamia honey for sweetness, with strawberries & mint …yum a great substitute…made a litre to get me through the day to replace my wine consumption ….starting to feel clear headed and excited to get to day 7… then the next day/week thereafter…sleeping still under par but will be looking at some meditation options in the next few days….

29. Anonymous 11 months ago

I also found a old game of housie that I pulled out and started playing during wine o’clock time. It was fun and kept my mind occupied. I downloaded the app and it automatically calls the housie numbers at random.

I had my peach and mango tea with ice in my trusted wine glass and waited with anticipation for my numbers to be called.(You’re also playing with against others around the world). Before I knew it, it was time for bed.

Sleep wasn’t great but I woke with no hangover.

30. Anonymous 11 months ago

I did it i did it made it thru day 1 now gotta make it thru today. Glass of mocktails at wine o’clock

31. Mscat 11 months ago

Day 8. Kept myself distracted by cooking, cleaning, taking a walk, baths, and positive thinking. It was going fine, until I started to feel a lot of pain in my stomach. It looks like I’m 6 months pregnant. While reading about conditions like that online, it’s some kind of organ disfuncion due to alcohol abuse. Going to doctors tomorow. I’m never drinking again. It took me 4 yrs, but it’s over now. Fucking poison.

32. Anonymous 11 months ago

day 1 ….tossed out temptations this morning feeling guilty about the wine going down the drain… will be buying groceries from another location not near the bottle shop! In fact it’s a better grocery store so that’s a positive! I’m a regular gym user so it will be interesting to see how I go. I found this great tasting cordial (lime, cucumber) a dash of cordial and soda water with fresh basil ….similar colour to Chardonnay… joined this site for support….Thanks!

33. Anonymous 11 months ago

Hi
    I have gone with the idea of non alcoholic drink in my wine glass and its fucking working. Peach and mango tea with ice bloody beautiful. I pray this works keep the ideas coming

34. Anonymous 11 months ago

Great job. I’m proud of you.

35. Anonymous 11 months ago

Great job! I’m proud of you 🙂

36. Anonymous 11 months ago

I haven’t had a drink in about 3 years but tonight I’m really stressed and my urge is pretty intense. I miss that escape.

37. otiselden 11 months ago

This is Day 4 for me, and my first weekend. I really enjoyed waking up early and having a whole day in front of me on Saturday, normally I would be terribly hungover, because I always drank a LOT on Friday. It’s nice to feel like I have more time. Last night was really hard, but I made it through, partly with the help of this site. I’m also basically letting myself do whatever I want (within reason) as long as it isn’t drinking. One vice at a time. For the next few weeks I”ll let myself eat whatever I want, watch whatever I want, etc, (again, within reason) to help distract me. Anyway, thanks to everyone for your stories and support. 🙂

38. Anonymous 11 months ago

Does anyone remember why they started drinking in the first place. For me to forget and dull self criticism. I wish i had know that that was so futile. Facing yourself sober is helluva better than shitfaced and stupid cause who do you think will win.

• LeaBra 11 months ago

I started drinking around age 14. My reason was nothing more than to be cool, fit in, & have fun. Apparently, I had so much fun that I kept at it, lol.

39. Anonymous 11 months ago

Day 2 successful. Though if I hadnt screwed the pooch Id be Day 18. Furious with myself but still determined. For those of you who are posting their struggles daily, like me, thank you so much for your support. Without even knowing it, you are with me. For anyone who comments critically, regardless of the title of this post, perhaps you should look elsewhere. I am anonymous & there are a bunch of us that type anonymous. Supporting each other as we struggle each and every day. And will continue the struggle. Preferably without judgement.

40. Momof2 11 months ago

I get through wine o’clock by putting flavored sparkling water in a wine glass. That’s really helped me so far, but I’m also really new to this. Part of the habit for me was/is the comfort of holding that glass in my hands.

• Anonymous 10 months ago

My wine o’clock was always centered around supper meal prep. Working in the kitchen, listening to music or watching tv while fixing supper with my favorite wine glass (full of course) was something I got in the habit of and then it became an addiction. Have hesitated to use the idea of substitute drink in the wine glass because not sure of my confidence level now. But will keep it in mind. Thanks for the idea!

• LeaBra 11 months ago

I totally agree. The glass makes a difference. I don’t know why I haven’t been putting my flavored sparkling water in a wine glass. Great idea!

41. LeaBra 11 months ago

I thought this was supposed to be a place to post tips/tricks to substitute drinking urges. The question asks, “How do you get through the witching hours without drinking?” This feed just seems like a lot of anonymous people posting their feelings/updates. That’s fine, but I’d like to read how people are getting through their urges. That would be helpful. Is this ‘anonymous’ the same or a different person?

I listened to a Recovery Elevator podcast where the guy gave a trick he uses. He “plays the tape forward” in his mind. You think about what will happen if you have 1 drink. In my case 1 drink would lead to multiple, I’d pass out on the couch, & wake up feeling like shit. Of course, that is on a good day. It helps to play out the drinking in your mind. It makes you realize that it’s not worth the consequences.

42. Mscat 11 months ago

Day 6. Feeling a little better, but I still think of drinking. Let’s see how weekend will go. Hope for the best!

43. Anonymous 11 months ago

Keep pushing! Don’t let this take you back to hell.

44. Anonymous 11 months ago

Day 14 and every second is a struggle, but i am doing it inch by inch.

45. Anonymous 11 months ago

Day 16 flopped. Back to day 1. And it was only like 3 shots. Can’t remember anything. Wtf. And I am miserable.

46. Anonymous 11 months ago

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

47. Anonymous 11 months ago

Day 3. I feel awful. I’ve been drinking daily for 4 years now. And a lot. Now, I got tired of hands shaking in public, or feeling like crap every day. But I feel the same now. Insomnia, night sweating, depression. I want a drink so bad, but I know I will wake up passed out not remembering a thing. How do people stay sober for years? It’s the hardest thing ever. 🙁

48. Anonymous 11 months ago

Day 13… I really want 1 drink dammit. But I know 1 will turn into the whole damned bottle. No matter what I tell myself. Trying not to think about it. I’ve been binging on movies/series, dishes & dinners… idle hands make for trouble! Day 10 & up have been the hardest. Headaches…. anxiety. I will make it to day 15. If I can just stay away from the store…

49. Anonymous 11 months ago

Day 10 baby, struggling strong?

50. Anonymous 11 months ago

One thing you must understand, the only thing stronger than you is you.