Getting through wine o’clock

Late in the afternoon is often the hardest time. How do you get through the witching hours without drinking?

1,087 Comments
  1. Ladyhawke 11 months ago

Very hard when driving home – I tell myself I’ve done a good job and I deserve a drink and then it begins…

• salshak 9 months ago

The drive home is difficult for me too at day 10. On the way home yesterday, after an especially stressful day, I felt this sudden urge out of nowhere while sitting at a stop light. I thought to myself, “Where did that come from?” It was like a flutter in my stomach, a hunger. Noticing and analyzing this feeling helped me shake it.

2. Chris 11 months ago

I go through a similar thing. That drive home…I’ll be telling myself okay…not gonna drink tonight…one night, you can do it…not tonight. Sure enough I swing in and get a box of wine and now, I’m set for the next couple days. If I’m full…I’m way less likely to drink. I always start before I eat…get that quick easy buzz then thrown in the towel as the evening rolls along, glass after glass finally waking up pissed at myself telling myself…okay, this is going to stop…stop today. Then…same thing over and over…it hasn’t stopped. 🙁

3. Jennifer Dammon 11 months ago

Omg, i need to do this! Thanks for your post. I am struggling with kicking wine at night. Im tired of waking up PO’d at myself for drinking wine.

4. Winner 11 months ago

Reading lotta books and several other books recommended by her in her books. Refer back to sections in these books at tough times.

5. Amanda-lea Clohesy 11 months ago

I have found eating something at 4pm, which is just before I knock off work helps.

I always struggle when driving home from work, it is the time when I am at my weakest and most likely to stop into the bottle shop or have my addicted personality (Serena) try and convince me I deserve a drink. If I am full in my belly I do not have a desire to drink, ever, which is great for me.

Unsure if this will help anyone else.

6. Mscat 11 months ago

After 60 days drinking again. Worst than ever. Like, 4 bottles a day. Can’t stop. Need help.

7. Anonymous 11 months ago

At my worst moment I wrote truths about how I am when I drink (now past tense)onto post it notes.
    I stuck them on my dresser so that I saw them when I first woke up. I stuck them in the kitchen right where I cooked dinner (where my trigger spot was) I put them in my car…everywhere I could think…bathroom…toilet. ..etc etc.
    They said
    1 drink is not enough ever for you.
    You always speak trash to yourself in the mornings.
    It’s just not fun anymore.
    You are better than this.
    Its only a thought and I can change that.
    I don’t like you when you drink.
    I want my feelings back as truth.

You get the idea

Xx

8. sobergirl 11 months ago

They said
    1 drink is not enough ever for you.
    You always speak trash to yourself in the mornings.
    It’s just not fun anymore.
    You are better than this.
    Its only a thought and I can change that.
    I don’t like you when you drink.
    I want my feelings back as truth.

You get the idea

Xx

9. Anonymous 11 months ago

What is the book called Tiki

10. Anonymous 11 months ago

By reading telly helpful mindfulness books and going for a walk

11. Tom 11 months ago

How was your experience with the hypnotherapy? Am booking a session myself this week.

12. sober@sixty 11 months ago

First off, not having any temptations in the house is key! Changing up the routine also helps. I used to pour my first after work and then start preparing dinner. I try to do prep in stages – the night before, in the morning before work, so I’m not in the kitchen in that same routine being assailed by the witch!

13. sober@sixty 11 months ago

I always enjoyed having a glass of wine while preparing dinner too! Pouring that first drink after the work day was the transition from work to personal time for me. It’s been a struggle, I admit, but I’ve soldiered through and do what so many of you also do, have a nice mocktail in a fancy glass. I do find I’m always ‘preparing’ for what I’m going to drink! It takes a lot of preparation to stay on the sober road.

14. Differentlovely 11 months ago

It is hard! But like Mrs. D wrote in her book, I just imagine myself going to bed sober and getting a great night sleep.

15. morgan 11 months ago
  16. Anonymous 11 months ago

Know what you mean. I’m 64 and have been drinking since teens. So sick of it. Have just done 35 AF days then caved. Very disappointing. Travelling overseas in 3 weeks for 6 weeks and don’t want to mess it all up. It’s such an evil curse. Physical changes when sober are good -sleep better, less bloating so why is it so hard?

17. Anonymous 12 months ago

why is it always late afternoon??

18. Anonymous 12 months ago

Yeah, I noticed since I turned 61 that drinking makes me age faster. Now I am 66 and it shows under the my eyes and on my lids the most. Hard to sleep as well. I have to stop with my glasses of wine each night. I did that b/c everyone says how red wine is good for you, and then one glass went to two glasses and now more. Now that I noticed a physical change, that is what made me want to give it up completely.

19. Anonymous 12 months ago

Looking for ideas to keep me busy

20. Anonymous 12 months ago

For me waking bright eyed makes for a long day to stay occupied. Open to all ideas to harness positive thoughts and keep myself out of trouble.

21. Michelle 12 months ago

Hiya it is bloody hard i have begun my journey of booze free haven’t been too successful keep falling off but I keep coming back because i want to stop boozing every night. I want to feel the feelings of being sober every day and deal with raw emotions that mrs d writes about in her book. I haven’t had the greatest of sleep I’ve only been sober 2 nights. But hey what the hell 2 nights without a hangover the next morning. Bloody bladder working overtime during the night probably cleaning out toxins. Stay strong lets keep the lines of communication open.

22. Anonymous 12 months ago

You can do it!

23. Anonymous 12 months ago

Day 1 again oh how many times i have been here. I’m really tired of fighting booze. How come its so hard its only booze and yet i let it control me. I drink i don’t have a good sleep tired all day headache as by 4pm I’m fine again. The cycle begins. Love this site

24. RenaissanceLady74 12 months ago

Organic Kumbucha…fizzy, little to no sugar and kind of looks like beer!

25. Bead 12 months ago

Whatever it takes! I’m on the sparkling water also, in the past when I’ve quit I tried na Beer and honestly that’s not the answer for me, heck I’d drink 12 of them. I’ve made it 6 months before and let it back in but for me it doesn’t change, only gets worse. I’m going to battle this demon, I will win and I hope you do too

26. Anonymous 12 months ago

Looking for a supportive place while I try again to give up my nightly bottle of wine.

27. Anonymous 12 months ago

Day one…your stories are inspirational

28. quail 12 months ago

Whaaha ! ‘ wine o’clock ‘ perfect terminology. I’ve got something to giggle about when I catch myself doing the wine-dream at 5:30. Y’all are great.

29. Anonymous 12 months ago

So I’m not alone… I have a grand baby coming soon and I want to be there for him

• MOG 12 months ago

Grand babies are a wonderful joy, and also a stress. Being sober is a good way to be more present for your wee one. Good for you!

30. Anonymous 12 months ago

Want to give up my nightly wine

31. Mary Grenier 12 months ago

Want to give up my nightly wine

32. Brad 12 months ago

Tomorrow will be day 30 for me also. Will be my 4th time quitting. I have to do this to better my life for me and my kids. The ups and downs are manic. Feels so good then 4pm hits then it’s a struggle until late evening

• Jasmaine 12 months ago

Me too Brad, I gotta do this for my kids as well. I don’t want them to use alcohol to enjoy or get through life like me. Day 30 is awesome. I’m day 22. Try to remember why your doing this and like Mrs d says visualise the next day and how good you’ll feel. I’m tryna do that. But yeah evenings are hard specially when my hubbys having a few and I’m bored and irritated. I drink sparkly grapetise in a new wine glass I bought specially. Drink something similar in a similar vessel see how that works. I hear ya mate!!

33. Teri64 12 months ago

Day 1 & I feel ok. Have had 2 weeks off work – had terrible symptoms, could not eat for 8 days, dryretching etc. have never felt so bad. Went to a dr a few days ago & told the truth. I was drinking one to 2 bottles every night & more on the weekend…drinking during the day & also scotch on the rocks. I have been pushing friends away & lost my zest for life. I’m trying all the help I can get & will try hypnotherapy tomorrow. I have a few times to quit before, but this is it.

• Anonymous 12 months ago

I hear you, at my worst that is me too – at my best a week or two off but the detox is like having the flu plus exhaustion plus mood swings… hard to understand why we go back for more! I’m trying to attack the beast from all angles…life coach, naturopath, meditation courses, yoga – whatever it takes…I try not to beat myself up when I slip backwards but it’s is hard.
      Stay strong and focused. I’m interested to hear how the hypnotherapy goes…

34. Poppy88 12 months ago

I have a 7 year old! But seriously that works both ways, need a release have wine, need to be present, don’t have wine. I usually have a snack, I know replacing one with another and all that but at least I don’t want a drink. Sunny afternoons are the trigger though. Man what’s with sun and booze? Sun comes out, that already makes you happy vitamin d and all that jazz then we want another hit of the fun buzz. I’m actually looking forward to beating that and just enjoying my soda water with flavoured syrup. Pretty sure I’d choose better music too without the booze in me, at our summer party’s. Win-win I say

• Jasmaine 12 months ago

I’m afraid of summer too. Good vibes plus alcohol equals better good vibes doesn’t it??….no not really. Fir me it means drinking way too much, my kids seeing me pissed, not being present with them on that fine day, waking up feeling like shit and the biggest fir me is bloody guilt, guilt, regret and you know the rest…isn’t that why we’re tryna stop??…..for me anyway. Well done on your journey….your winning!!!!!!!!! Bring on summer?? Lol…we can do it!!!

35. Anonymous 1 year ago

It’s a struggle but quite frankly I’m tired of being sick and making an ass out of myself.

• Poppy88 12 months ago

I’m using this for my explanation if anyone asks why I’m not drinking. Love it!

36. Horsehead 1 year ago

Me too! We can do it!

37. Horsehead 1 year ago

I love seltzer water too! I appreciate yr post lots. Makes sense!

38. Jmom90 1 year ago

Going on day 4 after breaking a 2 week streak.

39. NinaR 1 year ago

I live in New York and am always in a busy and also affluent part of the city around the witching hour. So I daily find myself walking past window after window through which I see handsome people chatting and smiling over that first full glass of wine. And even after 4 and a half terrific sober years, I still find myself thinking “Poor me!! Why can’t I do that any more?” And I find it best to remind myself that feeling like this is normal for an ex-drunk, and it’s familiar to me–and it WON’T corrupt my sobriety. It’s a feeling I know and I know it won’t weaken me. And I like seltzer water, and you can buy a bottle of seltzer every 10 feet in NY. Just knowing I’ve had these witching hour feelings for 4.5 years, and knowing I can probably expect them forever, and knowing I”m already used to them, helps a lot. So I hope this helps any new sober people who think the witching hour is just for newbies–it’s not at all, and it will be a nuisance you will get used to. And look at all the people who are ready to help you get through it!

40. Anonymous 1 year ago

Except for special non-alcoholic kombucha, most contain 0.5 to 2.0% alcohol.

• kitten 12 months ago

i love kombucha. i did not know i needed special non-alcoholic kombucha… how do i know if it is the special kind?

41. TAS 1 year ago

Late afternoon is REALLY tough…I try to stay busy. I will lift weights. Go for a walk. Clean my car. Water my garden. Meditate. Focus on whats st stake if I drink even 1 drink…

42. Anonymous 1 year ago

29 days ago i quit alcohol for good.

43. Blessed 1 year ago

I’m 13 days sober, and I’ve found knitting to be my help. Unfortunately the voice is still there, but knitting and keeping my hands busy helps to squelch my voice. When the urge is really strong, I keep thinking of how hard the last 13 days have been, and ask myself if I really want to go back to day one? If I can keep the voice to a murmur, I can get past those first couple of hours…then I celebrate when I realize I’m going to bed sober.

44. Tikigirl 1 year ago

Day 6 and first post. Started out as ‘dry July’ but having just finished ‘Mrs D is going without’ I’ve realised my problem is bigger than I liked to admit. I scarily related to too much in that book.
    Now feeling a bit emotional and overwhelmed by it all 🙁

• Blackbird72 12 months ago

I really relate to that book too. There’s a quote I heard somewhere. Something like ‘every journey starts with a single step ‘ you get the idea. Keep on!

• Lakeview 1 year ago

Hi @Tikigirl, I going to get book and read it, Im day 4, at lest you started dry july, i didnt even make that, i had to have an accicent to stop. Its really sobering to see how unsober we actually are I agree. Im overwhelmed and scared as well, we can do this, we will make it, 6 days is great , lets not drink together today eh

• NinaR 1 year ago

Hi, this is my first day at this site, and even though I haven’t read this book, I know what being overwhelmed and emotional can feel like. You did the very best thing for yourself by reaching out: you need to know that other people have felt this too. I’ve been sober since Jan 2014 and I can realize on any day that “my problem is bigger than I liked to admit.” You may not feel it right now, but you have incredible gifts waiting for you in sobriety: you will make true and stronger friendships than you may have made in the past; you won’t be ashamed any more! (that’s a big one); you’ll find interested in something and you can really dig into it, pursue it, and make connections through your interest–without booze lubricating everything into the swamp that booze turns good stuff into. And your relationships will change, and that can be extremely hard, and there is help for those challenges. People have been where you are–and wondered how the hell we’ll get to the next week or month like this. And the truth holds fast, as truth tends to do: every sober moment is better than every drunk moment. People will help. Always always reach out is some way when you feel yourself teetering, or darkening.

• Jasmaine 1 year ago

Hi @tikigirl….isn’t it a great book? I’m on my second time….and it’s pushed me to the end!! Mrs D is someone whom I related to heaps with booze just being a part of ‘life’….but realising how utterly unhappy I was/am made me tired and sick or sick and tired lol….are you from NZ?….keep going tikigirl…I will fight this with you as I’m only on day 6 but your on day 14!!!!One day at a time….no one minute st a time………….I hear you xo

45. Anonymous 1 year ago

Day 21 it is scary when i dont have urges because i know they are hiding in the shadows. Urges seem to pop up when least expected, at times tiring to keep guard up. However, a chamomile tea with carbonated water seema to help.

46. Anonymous 1 year ago

Day 3 … wine o’clock …English breakfast ice tea, macadamia honey for sweetness, with strawberries & mint …yum a great substitute…made a litre to get me through the day to replace my wine consumption ….starting to feel clear headed and excited to get to day 7… then the next day/week thereafter…sleeping still under par but will be looking at some meditation options in the next few days….

47. Anonymous 1 year ago

I also found a old game of housie that I pulled out and started playing during wine o’clock time. It was fun and kept my mind occupied. I downloaded the app and it automatically calls the housie numbers at random.

I had my peach and mango tea with ice in my trusted wine glass and waited with anticipation for my numbers to be called.(You’re also playing with against others around the world). Before I knew it, it was time for bed.

Sleep wasn’t great but I woke with no hangover.

48. Anonymous 1 year ago

I did it i did it made it thru day 1 now gotta make it thru today. Glass of mocktails at wine o’clock

49. Mscat 1 year ago

Day 8. Kept myself distracted by cooking, cleaning, taking a walk, baths, and positive thinking. It was going fine, until I started to feel a lot of pain in my stomach. It looks like I’m 6 months pregnant. While reading about conditions like that online, it’s some kind of organ disfuncion due to alcohol abuse. Going to doctors tomorow. I’m never drinking again. It took me 4 yrs, but it’s over now. Fucking poison.

50. Anonymous 1 year ago

day 1 ….tossed out temptations this morning feeling guilty about the wine going down the drain… will be buying groceries from another location not near the bottle shop! In fact it’s a better grocery store so that’s a positive! I’m a regular gym user so it will be interesting to see how I go. I found this great tasting cordial (lime, cucumber) a dash of cordial and soda water with fresh basil ….similar colour to Chardonnay… joined this site for support….Thanks!

Living Sober by NZ Drug Foundation is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Built with love by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel. 2019.