Drink Alternatives

Finding yummy drinks that aren't alcoholic is very important - especially when we first quit drinking. What do you like to drink in place of alcohol? This Sober Toolbox is a space for sharing recipes and ideas for delicious alternative liquids. If you're looking for more discussion, interactions and feedback, head inside our Members Feed. That's where the real-time conversations take place.

1. marnie 3 years ago

Well amazingly to me, yesterday I celebrated 3 full years since becoming alcohol free.
    I can honestly say alcohol rarely crosses my radar these days…(well apart from other people’s problem drinking that is!).
    .I spent most of yesterday returning home from beautiful Cape Verde where I had been on holiday with my husband
    .Sounds idyllic & it was for the first half of the holiday, then, emboldened by the ‘all inclusive’ bar,he turned into Mr Hyde.
    He has had a drink problem for as long as I have known him so this is nothing new ..but still shocking when verbal abuse is thrown at you. We had enjoyed a lovely meal to celebrate Father’s Day ( & incidentally 51 years to the day since we met as 17 year olds). I am unable to make him stop drinking I know but it was certainly a holiday of 2 halves

• Chii 2 years ago

Itโ€™s very hard to make someone stop drinking if they donโ€™t want to. They have to admit to themselves that they have a problem, you just have to be there to support them when they decide that enough is enough.
      I remember my husband trying to get me to quit, the arguments it caused, there was no I was going to quit…..because I didnโ€™t have a problem, or so I tried so desperately to convince myself.
      The more he tried to force me to quit, the more I dug my heels in.
      I saw the Light and I quit…..but only because I finally realised what I was doing to myself.

2. Shebe 3 years ago

Diet Pepsi or infused water

Remember Kombucha is a fermented drink and will have a very low % alcohol. Probably anywhere from 0.5 – 1.0%. Just saying!!

4. SuperCath 3 years ago

I have a bottle of Charlies Raspberry & Lemonade which I mix with L & P. This is a thirst quencher for me. When I get a craving for alcohol I need to check first with myself if perhaps I’m hungry instead. Its usually the case, so I eat, then I have the above drink just before bed.

5. robynb 3 years ago

My current thing is plain water with frozen blueberries. Stay hydrated and get some nice anti oxidants. Love to think of all you alcohol free folks staying well hydrated:).

6. teresa.marie 3 years ago

I like hibiscus tea with organic honey. Or any tea for that matter! Also started drinking hot cocoa mixed with French vanilla cappuccino (from gas stations) lol it has helped me with alcohol cravings… Also tried some v8 juices , carrot/mango was pretty tasty:)

7. Teresa diana 3 years ago

So far I have started to like habiscus tea with honey, Or any tea for that matter! Also enjoy French vanilla cappuccinos mixed with hot chocolate (from gas stations). Lol. Just tried out v8 mango carrot juice it was pretty good too.

8. Eschia 3 years ago

What with all the soda, sparkling water recipes?!? I don’t drink anything carbonated, don’t like fizz. If anyone has any drink recipes that don’t include this (besides smoothies), please post.
    Many thanks!

• Eschia 3 years ago

I wonder if I can just substitute regular water for the fizzy stuff? Hmmmmm……

9. Martine 3 years ago

I like to drink a cordial like raspberry and rose hip with fizzy chi water. You still have the pleasure of pour and mix and it tastes great. The bubbles are like tiny explosions of celebration every sip! Celebration that you can socialise with drinkers of alcohol. They soon forget your not drinking alcohol. (If there are any pushers or people that are threatened by you sobriety).

10. Elizabeth66 4 years ago

Have y’all tried making ‘shrubs’? They are flavored vinegars that are popular with the cocktail mixing crowd, but they are great in club soda or Sprite. Many fruit, herb, vinegar combinations are possible.

I made cranberry shrub for the holidays: 1 cup cider vinegar, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 2 cups fresh cranberries. Boil it all together until sugar is dissolved and the berries pop and start to break up. Cool the mixture overnight in the refrigerator. Strain the liquid and discard the fruit. You can add more sweet or sour to taste at this point. Blend with your favorite fizzy beverage.

11. Gilbert 4 years ago

http://kombucha.co.nz/kombucha-basics/making-kombucha – Learn about making Kombutcha for gut health and yumminess.

Herbal teas, I own so many now .. Every time I’m at supermarket its the tea alsie not the wine alsie.

I was on a kombucha kick for a while but it kickstarted my wine cravings BIG time. Found out that it actually does have an alcohol percentage in it – some low and others high enough that certain brands have the 21 yr + age requirement to buy ๐Ÿ™

14. peacelily 4 years ago

I’m lazy, so I just mixed some pineapple-orange-banana juice with club soda and put in lots of ice. It’s not as sweet as one might expect it to be. It’s delicious! Used just enough juice to give it a flavor and color.

15. Amy 4 years ago

Diet soda (pepsi) and club soda – about half and half

I keep looking at those, but don’t they have aspartame? I can’t stand the way it tastes.

My son smokes and I am glad he does that instead of drinking alcohol. He was telling me the other day that his friends at college now binge drink, and told him that it so normal now to just throw up all the time. He told one guy “that’s really dangerous”! I know he smokes a couple times a week to relax and I’m ok with that. I wish it would become legal everywhere.

18. Stargirl 4 years ago

100% Cranberry juice with ginger ale and a wedge of fresh lime! Pour the cranberry juice over crushed ice in a tall glass, add the ginger ale on top, and then the lime wedge. The layers are pretty, and the lime is so fresh tasting with this combo!

19. Birdturnip 4 years ago

Mango seltzer and orange juice!

20. Sky 4 years ago

Hi

I replaced alcohol with a lot of reading, physical exercise, spending time with my family, being present at my workplace, I quit smoking as well I still felt empty even after I quit drinking. I feed my brain with information as i couldn’t learn anything in my drinking and smoking times. I no longer internalise my thoughts and because of that I see things happening around me, I hear people talk, I think and talk less about the past, I am present and continuously improve myself.

Sky

• r51252 8 months ago

Sky, it seems you are leading a wonderful life. I am excited to get to where you are.

21. EllieJane 4 years ago

San Pellegrino, small bottles. Any flavour. They look cool when you are out and about at a barbecue etc and a lot of bars sell them. Yes expensive but cheaper than wine.

22. MartyB 4 years ago

Had this delicious mocktail at a burger joint on Labor Day – was delicious and not a sugar bomb:
    Joia Sparkling Orange, ginger beer, wedge of orange, sprinkled with cinnamon; served over ice.

23. Diane 4 years ago

Fill glass with ice, add 2/3 Pellegrino sparkling natural mineral water and add 1/3 Raspberry Lemonade, squeeze a wedge of lime into the drink. Voila…..everyone ends up wanting whatever I am drinking. The process of making it is inviting and it taste yummy.

24. Wildchild 4 years ago

Peppermint and licorice tea is delicious. Twinings have one, which is nice, but I prefer pukka organic. Yum.

25. AJB 4 years ago

Kombocha – ancient chinese fermented tea recipe. . It has a tangy zesty flavour and a gentle natural fizz . I make my own with a culture bought from health good shop. A couple of green tea bags, plus some fruit or lemon tea bags, 1/2 cup sugar and the culture are what you need. One week later a gently fizzy, booze free zippy health drink.
    I love all these ideas. Lemon and rosemary are so good for your body on the post booze journey

26. setfree 4 years ago

Coconut mik blended with pineapple juice as Pina Colada.

• Poppy88 2 years ago

Yes yes yes! Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

27. Happygolucky 4 years ago

Non alcoholic sangria, I love this one. Made some tonite but used honey instead of sugar, and I just add sparkling water to half a glass of this when I feel like it, opposed to the whole pitcher. http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-non-alcoholic-sangria-170254

28. GAbby 4 years ago

I found on special a variety of infused soda waters from Scweppes. No sugar and very refreshing. I like the rasberry one. They are a bit expensive, but hey a couple of bucks instead of a $10 + bottle of wine, is looking good!

• Birdturnip 4 years ago

I love Soda water with a splash or two of your favorite juice…hits the spot!

29. delgirl68 4 years ago

KOMBUCHA
    Kombucha Kombucha Kombucha!!!!
    If you’re a fan of the apple cider vinegar drinks then you have to try kombucha!
    It sounds a bit complicated which put me off for a long time but its really easy. All you need is a scoby (thats a fungus type thing – ask at your health food shop), tea bags and sugar and thats it. It ferments – takes 10-14 days to brew – then you have this yummy fizzyish drink that tastes a bit like ginger beer mixed with coconut water and apple cider vinegar. It’s SUPER good for you too – full of probiotics for good gut health

30. delgirl68 4 years ago

Has anyone gotten into Kombucha? I’ve started brewing it, I will let you know how it goes.

31. delgirl68 4 years ago

This is more up my alley I think! I am making this tonight!
    I got this from an amazing website called landsandflavors.com
    I think I just fell in love with the guy who owns this website
    I didn’t put the method cos it was very long but it was just called Non-alcoholic Gluwein

INGREDIENTS
    2 cups grape juice
    1โ…“ cups pomegranate juice
    ยฝ cup fresh orange juice
    ยฝ cup water
    zest of half an orange (use a vegetable peeler to remove strips)
    zest of half a lemon (same process as the orange)
    1 cinnamon stick
    4 cloves
    1 star anise
    1 bay leaf
    4g black tea or green tea, steeped in 1 cup hot water

32. delgirl68 4 years ago

Found this when searching for a warming spicy “Gluwein” recipe.

4 cups apple juice
    2 cups black tea
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 lemon
    1 orange
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 cloves
    Slowly heat the apple juice and tea in a pan.
    Squeeze the juice from the lemon and orange, keeping the peels.
    Add the lemon and orange juices, sugar, peels, and spices to the pan and heat without boiling (about 15-20 minutes).
    Carefully strain the mixture through a sieve and serve.

Hey, did you know that Angosturos Bitters is about 40% proof alcohol?! A friend of mine thought she was doing well going alcohol free, but was Shaking loads of that into her lime & soda. When I read details on the bottle, we were both shocked. “No wonder I like it so much!” she said.

34. michelled 4 years ago

I’m not sure if this drink is here or not, so forgive me if this is a repeat. I bought and electric juicer (I’m lazy) and made grapefruit juice and mixed is with orange flavored Perrier and a couple of lime wedges. It’s tasty! ๐Ÿ™‚

35. Aria_maria 4 years ago

I’m trying to use this phase to visualize my body getting clean. I am going to drink lots of green tea and visualize my body repairing and rejuvenating itself.

• smartguyyetsodumb 4 years ago

I like this idea

• Cmjbp 4 years ago

I like this theory!

36. Rhonda 4 years ago

I drink water mostly. I treat myself to speciality coffees and teas too! If I go to somewhere other than a restaurant, I usually take a bottled water!

37. bondgill007 4 years ago

Enjoying Good Buzz Booch tea/soda though it’s a bit pricey.

38. bobR 4 years ago

With fizzy drinks being the new evil, I have gone back to barley water – chilled and kept in the fridge. At social events I just drink water and tell everyone I am driving.

39. Waverider 4 years ago

A handle or glass full of ice, soda water and Bundaberg lemon lime and bitters. Really refreshing on a hot day. Filled with Ice you’ll get 2 1/2 pints. I like ginger beer (Non alcohol) but I’ve heard it has more sugar than coke. Bitters probably loaded with sugar as well, hence soda water. Sprite Zero not bad.

40. maureen 4 years ago

I like to drink diet ginger beer out of the small bottles because it feels like I’m having a beer

41. Paul Strickland 4 years ago

Pineapple juice with sparkling water (not too much), plenty of ice and deseeded long red chilli cut in half.
    It is very good. Bit of a zing.
    I am big on pineapple at present.

• Ro 3 years ago

Sounds delicious!

• Author
      Mrs D 4 years ago

Love this and am featuring as a ‘Drink of the Week’!!! Thanks x

42. Natalie8 5 years ago

I mix iced herbal tea, a little fresh juice with carbonated water….served for myself in a nice glass.

43. Gilbert 5 years ago

Instant Ginger Beer

4 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp grated ginger
    2 Tbsp lime Juice
    2tsp Stevia
    1 L water or soda water

Nom nom,just like the exploding stuff Mum made.

• CarolN 3 years ago

This sounds beautiful, going to make some today, thanks for the recipe

44. victoria4 5 years ago

Since I have to do sugar free, I have a glass of crystal light…if your stores don’t stock it, amazon.com sells it i several flavors. I used to put vodka in it so having a virgin crystal light helps me to not feel left out.

45. lifeafterbooze 5 years ago

For those that are brave, Zero-alcohol beer. It doesn’t matter how much you drink, you will just find yourself going to relieve the bladder often.

46. Kerrilee 5 years ago

I hosted a German themed dinner last weekend. To go with the sort of winter-y comfort food I mixed up a pot of mulled cranberry juice, and it was super-good:

1.8 litres of cranberry drink
    2 cinnamon quills
    12 whole cloves
    Rind and juice of two oranges
    a teaspoon of vanilla
    half a cup or so of honey

If I hadn’t been using the crockpot already I would have put it in there but I just simmered it away on the stove. It did need straining as I poured it for serving.

47. Brummiebird 5 years ago

I found this via the Soberista’s Facebook page
    ๐Ÿ™‚

48. StarGirl 5 years ago

I like to take a glass, put ice in it, sprinkle on powdered Ginger, then fill with Ginger Ale. Sometimes I also add Blackberry Ginger dark balsamic vinegar (about a teaspoon) to it. It is delicious, and festive, especially when it is hot outside!

49. Emma_J 5 years ago

Lemon & Rosemary Water
    A wide-mouth quart mason jar
    1/2 decently large lemon, cut into round slices – squeeze the juice a bit, dump the slices in the jar, peels and all. (A few lemon seeds never hurt anybody, no worries)
    A medium handful of fresh rosemary sprigs.
    Muddle up and crush up the rosemary and lemon a bit.
    Fill the jar 3/4 with water. Top up to the top with ice.
    Drink this from a beautiful glass. (I have a lovely tumbler, but recently decided to up my luxury and ordered a Waterford Crystal glass…(on sale)…I usually drank my vodka from a cheap little jelly jar, so only the best for my lovely, clean lemon/herb water and me, I think!)
    I don’t mind drinking little bits of rosemary and lemon pulp, but just pour through a little strainer if you do.
    This is so clean and refreshing tasting – lemon and herbs, not at all sweet, just fresh, clean and bracing. To kick it up a little, sometimes I add some ginger (juice or micro-planed).
    It would probably also be very good with basil instead of rosemary, I mean to try that soon, when I can bring myself to use the basil for something other than caprese!
    Many heartfelt thanks to you all for being here.

• SarahJane22 4 years ago

This sounds great. Luckily, I have rosemary and lemons in the fridge, so I’ll try it today!

• morgan 5 years ago

Will do that now as I have been reading about how wonderful rosemary is – for something. And perhaps some lemon balm for relaxation. Have to look up caprese ๐Ÿ™

Licensed by NZ Drug Foundation under Creative Commons 4.0 2020. Built by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel.