Socialising Sober

What do we say to people who ask why we’re not drinking? What are some clever ways we deal with social events?

1. Kiwigirl33 2 years ago

I’m on Day 2, and have a big social event every weekend for the next 2 months. My go to is going to be one of the following depending who is asking,
    1. “I’m the sober driver”
    2. “I don’t feel like it tonight”
    3.”If you had my hangovers…you wouldn’t drink either”

I’ll see how I go, I’m sure I will get shit as my family are big drinkers and don’ like non drinkers lol

• Pollyonthewagon 2 years ago

Great list of responses
      You will be fine
      Xx

2. Marc 2 years ago

When they ask why don’t you drink I just tell them alcoholism

3. Belladonna 2 years ago

Just joined the group today..getting some really good advice and tips..thanks!

4. ajmgrm430 2 years ago

I have not had a drink in 2-1/2 years and I’m still having issues with anything we do that I had previously drank. Which I guess is almost everything! Vacations, dinners, picnics, weddings, etc! I keep thinking maybe I could just drink on special occasions, but a few days later I realize I wouldn’t stop. I have tried N/A beer and mock margaritas (beer and margaritas were my go to drinks), but it seems that alcohol gives me satisfaction and the virgin drinks just add calories. I miss socializing. I explain how hard this is to my husband, but he doesn’t understand, he thinks just quit and there should be no issues. It usually starts an argument since he just doesn’t understand. So I don’t talk to him anymore about it. Since I quit drinking our invitations have dropped too. People you thought were friends were actually only alcohol buddies. When asked why I quit I’m truthful, I had a problem just having a few!

• Teazy 2 years ago

I’m struggling with this too, hate having to explain myself and being made to feel like a party pooper, I recent drank again after visitors convinced me I was being anti social and that anyone can have a couple…well couple of bottles of wine maybe, yikes, hope we will figure this out. I hate social I occasions now where there’s lots of drinking and I used to love them, well we all know why ..

5. Vic 2 years ago

I can get the same way in hay fever season with white wine. It can also be a reaction to 221. But that’s not gonna bother me anymore because there will be no more white wines for me!!!

6. Vic 2 years ago

I normally say that I’ve done a lot of exercise that day and need to hydrate first. Then I get a water in a wine glass and no one asks me again.

No thanks! drink takes more from me than it gives these days!

Day 1 for me ,have to do this ,sick of the wasted weekends when I’m to hung over to enjoy anything really .Tired of continuing bargaining with myself . Last night drank wine then moved on to my sons expensive gin .Shameful

9. Thesobersalesman 2 years ago

https://thesobersalesman.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/youre-at-the-wrong-table/ – Dealing with people who question your sobriety.

10. Maggie Meiklejohn 2 years ago

Hey team,

I’m 120 days sober today and an Honours design student in Wellington. I’m thinking of designing a platform or group where people can connect and make friends with other people who’ve decided to stop drinking. From my experience and talking to others at uni, it can be a bit lonely on a Friday or Saturday night when all of your friends are out drinking and you don’t feeling like being a sober driver or explaining why you’re not drinking… Have you found this to be an issue? And would you be interested in meeting sober buddies in your area and having sober activities to do? This website has a few suggestions like potluck dinners and stuff (http://www.narconon.org/blog/sobriety/twenty-drug-free-sober-activities/).

Would love any suggestions or input you can offer šŸ™‚

Thanks,
    Maggie

• Eschia 2 years ago

I’ve been having feelings of loneliness leading to resentments about choosing to not drink. I would be interested in meeting sober people in my area and having sober activities. Thanks for the link.

11. Shebe 2 years ago

I tell them the truth! My drinking was getting the best of me so I quit! I will go to the bar once a week to test myself and have a soda instead of a beer. I socialize for a brief time and go home. I have a lot of friends that still drink and they admire my self control thus far. They are drinking friends that know I have made my limits and do not ever push me. These are true people in my book. People who are supportive, yet they choose to sit and drink but are understanding of my delicate condition and my choices.

Hi,
    I have a big family event today and I plan on not drinking. I am nervous about this and trying to build myself up before I start my day. I only drink at weekends but I’m trying to stop that because of the way alcohol has been making me feel recently- anxious, depressed, lethargic, moody, shameful etc. I can’t stand these feelings anymore. I want to feel good and in a way I do feel good right now but I just know if I take that one drink, I will drink all day at the party and will feel like hell tomorrow. The house I’m going to is going to be full of people drinking. As long as certain people don’t push me and question why I’m not drinking I know there’s a good chance I can do this. I can enjoy conversations, enjoy the food, play with the kids, tidy up and then leave after a decent amount of time without being rude.
    I just had to get this out. I don’t really have anyone to talk to about this because they are all drinkers. They can handle it though. I can’t.
    Thanks.

13. Thesobersalesman 2 years ago

https://thesobersalesman.wordpress.com/2017/05/09/my-top-5-answers-to-the-why/ – Some ideas for when you get asked why you quit drinking

14. Debi 2 years ago

My go to response is “Life is more fun without it.” This one does get a conversation going with my fellow Flight Attendant friends who’ve known me for years.

15. cheyennemarie 2 years ago

I have tried to quit a few times and every time I have said that I was getting sick from it, or that I am a better me when I don’t drink.

I am not sure how to deal with social events, which is one of the reasons I am here.

16. patty1955 2 years ago

Sometimes I say “I’m not drinking today/tonight” or “I’m on medication” or “I may have an allergy to alcohol” Or I just say “I don’t drink”. It really depends on the situation. I use the “I don’t drink any more” around people who have known me for a long time. If they know me well enough, they know how I was when I was drinking and won’t say anything else. There are the ones of course who would like it if you kept drinking who will ask more questions or try to get you to drink.

17. Stella-Mari 2 years ago

My best line… “No thanks! Alcohol dulls my shine!”

18. morgan 2 years ago

http://soberman365.blogspot.co.nz/2017/03/holiday-mode.html – Holidaying: A positive light beamed on the sober life

Trying to stay right with God.

I don’t drink because I want a better tomorrow

21. Maddie1 2 years ago

I feel a huge sense of relief that I haven’t got to come home and have a wine anymore (79 days sober). I feel like the pressure is off and half the anxiety and stress that I had has gone. It gets easier every day and I feel so much happier without it. Good luck everyone!

Hi,
    I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right section here but I felt the need to get this out and this section (socialising sober) seemed fitting enough.
    I am in my late 30s and have drank all my life in “social” situations like “normal” folk. What no one realises (except my husband) is the guilt, angst and depression I go through in the 3 days after a drinking occasion. I have just woken up and finally come out of that horrible time after a drinking session on Saturday night there (it’s now Wednesday morning)…..and I am so relieved to be back in the real world.
    Before my drink on sat night, I had been sober for 35 days, I stopped on Friday the 6th of Jan, and I was feeling great, making progress in my life with regards to dealing with my feelings about things from the past, etc. However on Saturday I did a complete u-turn in my thinking and started to think “well, it’s the long February weekend, everyone’s treating themselves, I can rest all day Sunday, why not have a good drink and then that’s it done and I can go back to my nice sober life”. But it doesn’t work like that. I’ve lost 3 whole days and I hate that. That’s not what I want for my life. So I’m back to being sober and I’m so relieved about that however what do I do when the next holiday comes up? How do I get through family parties without drinking? My family are big drinkers and they don’t seem to suffer like I do.
    Thanks for reading/listening, it’s good to get it out.

• patty1955 2 years ago

I just recently started drinking after six years of sobriety. I can relate to the guilt, angst and depression. It is awful! My problem is I stopped working the program about a year ago. I don’t remember it being a conscious decision, I just stopped. I can’t even remember the day I stopped. But I regret it more than anything. You seem like you are truly committed. It is so hard, but it can be done. Good luck and God bless.

23. HMR 2 years ago

Watching the pennies watching my waistline or I find it an interesting social experiment to watch people look like while l remain sharp as a bell

24. Tom4500 2 years ago

I had fun with “Can’t. My hemorrhoids are acting up.” I found that no further embellishment was needed. It was end of discussion. Of course, not everyone will feel comfortable using that one, and it should be used with discretion. But I had fun with it a few times.

25. morgan 2 years ago

https://offdry.com/author/dearmrsdalloway/ – A satirical blogger offers lots of suggestions as to getting through events

26. Mrs D 3 years ago

http://sanfordhousegr.com/sober-strategy-boozy-events/ – This piece describes how I make mental lists in my mind when faced with a boozy event..

27. Ingrid 3 years ago

Preparing myself for this:
    Husband “I want to be healthier. Wanna join me?”
    Friends “Sober is the new black.”
    Colleagues “Wanna play a game of questions?” followed by more questions by me. Distraction! lol

Back up for any occasion- I’ll follow Charlie Gilbert’s post. “I feel better when I don’t drink.”

I posted the exact same thought earlier today and am also looking for advice. Have you learned anything in the last few months since your post that you can share?

I don’t worry so much about what to say to people at social events about why I am not drinking, but rather how to handle the absence of the social lubricant that a glass of wine or two (or more!) provides. I am often at large events with lots of people, with lots of mingling and small talk…All of which I find difficult.
    Any advice?

30. Janet 3 years ago
  31. NeverTooLateKate 3 years ago

I have a very common autoimmune disorder called Hashimoto’s. Apparantely, people with this condition are very sensitive to the effects of alcohol. Alcohol also suppresses thryroid function. That explains a lot in my case. So many of us women have thyroid issues and this is a great reason to give up alcohol.

32. Jason 3 years ago

I havnt tried yet but my answer will be. 1 is not enough and 2 is to many.

33. morgan 3 years ago

http://www.nextactcoaching.com.au/ – Good article about how to survive in an industry where drinking seems compulsory.

I haven’t stopped yet butI have to. New Years reaolution.
    I need help with the pre dinner time

My issue is that I am nervous attending social events and having a few drinks relaxs me so I am not a bundle of nerves and can talk and laugh normally. Any suggestions or advice from anyone else who feels this way?

Does anyone else ever log in here after an absence of a while, look at their counter and think ‘is that all?’

Sometimes I feel like this sobriety thing is going on, and on, and on, and on….which of course is the point but sometimes it’s just so bloody hard and it feels so bloody boring. I have had to take a valium on a couple of occasions, my doctor gave me a row as she is worried I may come to depend on them. Who me?!

Anyway, just wanted to check in really, see how others are tracking, always helps in numbers it seems.

Love and strength, Julia xx

37. Torontosoberina 3 years ago

I don’t drink because I’ve got better things to do.

38. Parkercherry 3 years ago

I like, I feel better when I don’t drink. I’m amazed how many people look at me like i have 3 heads when you say it to them.:)

39. SuperCath 3 years ago

I say any of the following:-
    “I’m giving everyone else a chance to catch up”
    “No, it stops me being awesome”
    “Its no longer my GO GO juice”
    – people laugh everytime and we all carry on

40. Corso 3 years ago

Saying ” I am on sabbatical ” usually works, with no questions šŸ™‚

41. Donnie 3 years ago

I’ve just started on my journey but am thinking of saying I’m not drinking anymore because I’m on a health kick and can’t deal with waking up with hangovers anymore.

42. Rhallia 3 years ago

I’m just honest… I don’t drink!! I find it better to be upfront and assertive. If asked why? I reply because I choose not to. It generally cuts the conversation right there. Unless they are extremely nosey that is!

43. Diane 3 years ago

I say that I’m on a strict diet.

44. JuliaC 3 years ago

Hello, I’m new here and have loved reading through some posts and comments. I have had a few goes at stopping, this time feels different. Back in Feb when out for dinner I ordered a mocktail – one friend asked if I was pregnant which almost caused me to spit out my delicious drink! She couldn’t think of any other reason not to drink…

A dad on my son’s rugby team told us he hadn’t had a hangover in 5.5 years, following it with “I had management issues with it so I quit.” I thought that said it perfectly and meant no-one probed deeper.

I have a weekend away (rugby tour, our first one!) next weekend and know my husband and I have been asked to go because we are ‘party people’. We hardly know the other parents so I’m pretty nervous about the attention I’m likely to receive. Thank you for all these suggestions, I’m looking forward to trying something out…determined to own this and be proud.

45. kirsty 3 years ago

does anyone have any tips for my problem coming up next week? I’m 16 days sober, but travelling on a six week holiday (from OZ) to Italy and the UK. I’m going with my partner, who’s extremely supportive, but then we are meeting up with friends and family over there about half way through the trip. I’m so so scared firstly of the pane ride (Alcohol has always been my way to calm my anxiety on a plane) and being “in holiday mode” over there with social occasions galore. I really want to stay sober over there as this is the absolute BEST and CLEAREST i’ve felt in my life. Thanks by the way to Mrs D and to all you guys out there…this blog is really helping me X

46. Mrs.T 3 years ago

Thanks so much for these great ideas. I’ve only been out twice since I’ve stopped drinking. the first time, when offered a wine and I said “No thanks, I’m giving it a miss”, the reply was “Oh God, what are you going to do for fun”. The second time, the comment upon declining a wine – “Boooring!”. I really need some of these strategies.
    Thanks again.

• Rhallia 3 years ago

I’m early in my sobriety too. 3 weeks to be exact but before I chose to quit, I told all of the important people in my life what my plan was and what I would like from them in terms of support. I explained that for a while I will not be putting myself in situations were I may be triggered and as far as I was concerned anyone that did not understand or were not willing to accept the new/real me, was not worth having in my life.
      It was time for me to discover who I was and what I liked and sometimes it’s a case of out with the old in with the new!!!
      Time to start thinking of you!! Speaking for myself I neglected myself for too long!!

47. Crowley 3 years ago

“i’ll just watch you.”

Living Sober by NZ Drug Foundation is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Built with love by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel. 2019.