Managing Feelings

A big part of getting sober is learning how to deal with our emotions. This Sober Toolbox is a space for sharing tips and techniques for how to deal with emotional pain or stress. If you're looking for more discussion, interactions and feedback, head inside our Members Feed. That's where the real-time conversations take place.

1. Sunshinydays 3 years ago

do I think I’m inferior?
    I read the other day that a massive part of mental wellness is having high self esteem. I was like, what??!! To me this meant thinking you are better than everyone else. Giving yourself a kiss in the mirror every morning. Being smug and up yourself. Turns out, it’s not. If you imagine you are your own best friend. If you really liked the qualities of your best friend. If you thought they were a good person. If you enjoyed their company. If you were proud of them. If you knew they had their faults, but that didn’t make them a bad person or someone who society should reject. They may not be the smartest, maybe not even that attractive on the outside. They may have had some bad past issues they have overcome. You encourage them to grow, to try new things, do do things they enjoy and make them happy and you take the time to listen to them when they are not. You love them to bits and would do anything to help them and you don’t judge them. If you think of yourself like your very best friend, then you have good self esteem.

Most of us are not very nice best friends to ourselves. We judge ourselves all the time. Focus on our not so good qualities. Let ourselves believe mean things people say. Just because someone says something, it doesn’t make it true. We don’t speak very nicely to ourselves. Are very hard on ourselves and unforgiving. We put ourselves in boxes and don’t let ourselves grow because we probably will fail anyway. I’m a shy person. People think I’m odd. What’s the point of trying to work on not being shy. Everyone will just think I’m even weirder. How about ditching that mean best friend of yourself for a positive one that tells the truth. They may say, “ look, I know you are shy and feel like everyone is focused on judging you, but how about ignoring that thought and in a social setting, focus on listening to the other person you are talking to. Be interested in them. Ask them questions. You may even find common interest or find them interesting. You may even enjoy yourself!

People have good and bad in them. You don’t have to believe what they say. Good self esteem is knowing yourself and not letting that bad stuff in. On being your own best friend and saying… “hell no girlfriend, that is not who you are, ignore that poo head” ( my son said this once and I think it’s the best insult!).

You know what you need to work on. My mum has this little message in her bathroom that I always remember…

• greenfinger 2 years ago

❤️?What was the message in your mum’s bathroom?

• Sunshinydays 2 years ago

If you cannot be kind to people, at least don’t hurt them.

2. Sunshinydays 3 years ago

trauma
    So I learnt today that flashbacks which are thoughts of trauma can come at you from nowhere and believe me they do or they can be triggered by something. When this happens your fight or flight takes over and your brain shuts down, not allowing rational thoughts.

Think of the old caveman who had a wholly mammoth barreling down on him. He didn’t stop and think “gosh, I wonder how many snug rugs I would get out of him and the missus would be really please with those tusks”. His core body took over and his brain shut down. Fight or flight. He either ran like hell or fought for his life. So in today’s world we see this as anxiety. We simply cannot think rationally. So what to do? You have the bring yourself down to earth. Ground yourself. Be in the world and your body. The way to do this is by the senses. Things that make you happy. For me it is those soft chewy lollies. The smell of lavender. Soft things to touch. Listening to the radio. Think of your 5 senses and what makes you happy and gives you joy and comfort. Chewing gum is a good one, like a baby sucking their thumb. Having something like a heavy blanket or animal on your lap. These are things you can do in that moment to stop the fight or flight and allow you to think rationally.

Long term things are building on doing things you enjoy doing. Not things you have to do, but making time to heal your brain by moving it from the negative to the positive. Be aware of your surroundings and what gives you pleasure. Be aware of your thoughts. Make them positive ones. Your brain believes what you tell it. We cannot change the past, but we can acknowledge it, forgive, understand and sometimes just let go of the things that hurt us. Understand that you can only control your own actions. Acknowledge that you went through tragedy. This means that you don’t compare your tragedy to anyone else’s. Let’s say someone was bullied at school compared to someone who was at in a concentration camp. Would you say that persons trauma was insignificant in comparison? No you wouldn’t. It would deserve the same acknowledgment, understanding, love and support to heal. This acknowledgment, understanding, love and support needs to come from you. From within.

Now let’s look at the other side. What if you were the mean bully, the uncaring parent, the abusive person, the person who told lies, the manipulator and so on. Do you have the right to forgive yourself if you recognise and accept you did these things. Yes you absolutely do if you change. Not for a while, but for the rest of your life. You however cannot expect the people you have hurt to forgive you. That is their decision. If they choose not too or simply can’t, then this is something you will have to live with. These are the implications of your actions. You can ask for forgiveness and tell them how sorry you are, you may even need to prove over a very long time you have changed, but you have no control over their decision to forgive you or even accept you in their lives again. This does not mean you can’t live a happy and rich new life going forward, you just must know you cannot change the past.

3. HTT1993 3 years ago

Hi all, not usually one for this kind of thing but I’ve finally hit a point where change needs to happen. I can happily go to the pub for a couple of beers and it be controlled and I can be absolutely fine. But every 4-6 months or so, I binge drink to the point where once I’ve had one, I keep going and theres no going back. I feel like it is clear now that I dont do moderation when it comes to drinking, and ultimately, if I cant moderate, then I just need to stop. Everytime I’ve binge drank throughout the past 6 years since I have been with my partner, something negative has happened, whether it be an argument, rubbing someone up the wrong way, being overly affectionate with people and putting myself in dangerous situations purely because I am so incapacitated that I dont know what I’m doing. It turns me into someone I am not. I even had a few drinks at my sisters wedding and the following day it caused me an anxiety attack. Yet even with all these negative experiences, why havent I just put a stop to it? Why can’t I moderate it? Why does drinking always slip back into my routine one way or another?

I have a respectable career, a great relationship, good friends and a great family, why do I threaten my long term happiness by getting stupidly drunk and doing things that arent me and risk jeopardising my relationship and even my job? Its almost a self destructive thing, like, things are great, let’s just go and mess it all up because I can. I just need to know where it stems from so I can work on it because I cannot go on feeling like this. I feel so low because I’ve put myself in this position again. Excuse my language, but I cant keep fucking up because I’m going to end up losing everything that’s good in my life. Maybe ultimately I dont believe I deserve the good stuff, I just dont know.

• dorothyparker 3 years ago

Hello @HTT1993, have you posted on the members feed? I don’t know how often people look under the sober toolbox and if you posted there, you would get lots of replies and support. Best, Dorothy

4. Derek 3 years ago

Hi everyone.
    First. Let me say that after reading some of the stories I don’t feel so alone and wanted to congratulate you all for your candidness.

I’ve been using alcohol to hide my feelings for a while now. My brain was working against me and my decision to take control not only is about not drinking but remapping my brain so that I make better decisions.
    I realise that I have been in a cycle of negative patterns and the impact has been good so far.

I don’t crave a drink now and it will take time to remap and find strategies to work for me.

I am keen to know about anyone’s experience with a discussion group where you are able to talk and communicate about issues. I tired AA but found that it wasn’t really what I was looking for.

I’m a communicator so constructive dialogue is what I am looking for.

Any ideas?

• Sunshinydays 3 years ago

Hi @Derek you still here

5. Tamara S 3 years ago

31 days working on my overall health.

6. Dora 3 years ago

Managing feelings is the area I need to work on, as I am in a loop of relapsing into the pattern of using wine to numb my difficult feelings and it is happening every few weeks. That’s just way too often. I stopped being a regular drinker 2 years ago, and I have come to love my life without drinking. So I have done the hardest stuff – the first 6 months or so – and it is SO frustrating that I still grab for wine as soon as I am in a difficult emotional situation. I have an idea is might relate to my habit of not speaking up about my own needs and feelings. The last two times I have had a relapse were situations where the bottom line of the situation was that I felt I hadn’t been heard and my feelings were all locked up and hidden while I “manage” on the surface. I’m just posting this because after having to spend the whole day in bed yesterday feeling awful with a hangover, I joined here as a strategy for the next time I want to open a bottle of wine. I find I don’t even like wine any more, I am purely using it as a sort of tranquilliser.

7. kitts2020 3 years ago

I’m not sure anyone can offer me advice but I gave up drinking earlier this year and have relapsed a number of times. Every time my husband had found out and supported me. We have been together since I was 16, and married 35 years. 4 kids. I went fir counselling but the negative thoughts crept back and then I’d make the decision fir quick relief. I don’t have a problem not drinking socially but I do drink to numb my negative thoughts and frustration. I have let my husband down one last time and he has told me via message that he can’t see a way back and hasn’t spoken a word to me since. I need to do this in my own I can’t drown my sorrows now I can’t hurt anyone else. But I’m hurting so badly and frightened

• JACHALK 3 years ago

Oh sweetie I’m so sorry

• Lucille10 3 years ago

reading through many other peoples experiences has helped me- you realise that it is not just you, alcohol is very sneaky at taking control & can happen to anyone. Reading the posts also helps you realise it is possible to get through the fog & false promises of alcohol.
      Don’t beat yourself up for relapsing, get back up & try again, do it for you first of all- I have found it helpful to write down what the perceived benefits are of this behaviour & then think what it is actually doing to my life- this gives me something to reach for when I am weak- & clears my mind of all the crap the addiction will feed you so you can make a rational & not reactive decision.
      I am currently day 16- I also tried numerous times before & failed, it’s early days- but I feel more confident with this platform to come to for advice, encouragement or just a chat.
      I am a single Mother of 4, falling into alcohol as “my time out”, or a “way to relax”- which in reality it has become neither!!
      I too could socialise without alcohol, but at home in the evenings it became my “escape” I thought- don’t listen- alcohol lies
      I attended many counsellors & drug & alcohol services-they all told me I did not have a problem( still held a job, didn’t want a drink until evening) & should be allowed a wine now & then as my life was stressful- they were wrong, I knew I was using it in a very unhealthy way & it was taking over my life, the issue continued to escalate
      You have started your journey, you have attempted to quit, it’s like smoking, sometimes you are not always successful first time- keep trying, journal, talk to people, schedule some exercise outside each day if you can- keep on keeping on – you will be so proud of yourself for getting back up & trying again- in my thoughts, keep writing on here- there are many here to help & encourage you

• Bella79 2 years ago

Hi Lucille10, I can totally relate to you.

I am a solo mother of 4. Go to work each weekday, have my time in the evening with my wine. Trying to hold it together when I’m mentally and emotionally falling apart…alcohol has been used to numb pain and stress.

I have a nonexistent relationship with my ex husband. I poured years into our relationship, putting him first and not receiving it back. I was always wrong, he was always right, on a power trip that wore down my self esteem, which I need to build again.

Drinking has gone from enjoying a wine with a meal, to drinking a bottle, last night, 2 bottles. I read texts I didn’t remember sending on messenger and have got to the point that I know what I saw as my friend in a bottle, is no longer doing me any favors. Got to find a healthier way to cope.

I’ve tried Mindfulness apps, reading Brene Brown and podcasts about embracing vulnerability. Have stopped (hiding from the kids and workmates) smoking, have cut down drinking lots of coffee throughout the day. Will try more meditation and anything that can get me to sleep at night.

• JACHALK 3 years ago

?? Lovely

• JACHALK 3 years ago

??

8. RitaMae 3 years ago

I usually go running, either alone or with a close friend. Other strategies include reading AF/sobriety blogs or books or meeting up with friends to do anything but drink. I am interested in learning more about mindfulness strategies. I just finished the second LD book and several things in there resonated with me in a way the whole mindfulness movement previously has not. However, today I find myself super pissed off at my partner about a holiday situation that requires some skillful, compassionate handling and I can’t quite get my head around how not to blow up which is what I want to do before I get to problem solving mode. My irritation and frustration are legitimate but my desire to act like a jerk really isn’t. How do you mindfully handle the desire for a righteous temper tantrum?

9. kays 3 years ago

I get in the car and drive to the beach. Sit in the car and read or do a crossword.

10. kate.rhodes377 3 years ago

I have only been sober for a week but I have started reading my book, which is a great distraction

11. amandez 3 years ago

as my drinking progresses i disgust myself more and more.i drink at work at home even in my car.i really need to be done with it completely.i am at a point where i am afraid of what i might do when i am drunk.i know i cant have just one drink.i have gone periods of time without drinking.but always go back.i even drink when i dont want one.i am really hoping this is it.i know i have said it before.but shit..i am a fucking mess and dont need to be.i find that sharing makes me feel like this is a new tool and gives me a hope that this time might be it.so i promise myself i will share daily.

• Leenz07 3 years ago

I’m hearing you loud and clear! I do so many great things but get so wasted that I can’t remember lots of things. Then when it’s all being talked about the next day I feel so embarrassed. This weekend has been yet another drunken debacle. I’m going to do my best to quit my weekend binge drinking! I just don’t know moderation…I have one or two drinks and just keep going till I’m a drunken mess! I hope I can get my shit together and make the positive changes needed.

12. cantdothisalone 3 years ago

I’m day 23 and I’m finding I’m not into sex as much and my partner thinks I’m rejecting him is it me self sabbotage or is it I really hate myself that much

13. IrishMan 3 years ago

I gave into my cravings, told myself, “it’s just a pint of Vodka, not a fifth” … I was telling myself, “Don’t do it” but it was like I was on autopilot and just had to have that drink. The first several shots were … ah … relief, then …. oh no, I’ve done it again. What the heck?

14. Wizzy 3 years ago

I go running and sometimes

15. Jonas1116 3 years ago

A surprisingly good way to appease cravings is to sit in the sauna or steam room at the gym. I find after 20 /30 mins or so I get to a point where mental chatter shuts down. It’s kind of cathartic like you are sweating out the negativity and toxins. I need to step out for air during this process but there seems to be a point where you body core heats up and it just resets your psyche. A fresh shower and icy water after replenishes like nothing else.

16. funtimes 3 years ago

People think extreme emotional pain or stress happens when someone dies, or a job is lost. But actually, for people giving up alcohol, extreme emotional pain and stress can be found in things that outwardly seem harmless. For example, when my friend invites me to her house for dinner, I now know that other people will be there who I don’t enjoy talking to, that I am relied on to keep small talk going because they are a bit boring, and that dinner won’t be put on until very late and that I will therefore be stuck there for longer than I want. I have had to accept the fact that I have let friends chose me, rather than chasing who I want to be friends with. I make no apologies now, I avoid situations which will cause me to consider drinking again in the lead up to it. I protect myself from possible stress as much as possible.

With the situations that can’t be predicted I have found a hot bath to be very useful. We can’t pour ourselves a wine, or drive to the shops, when we are in the bath. We are taking time out.

17. cookiecrumbles 3 years ago

I eat sweet things instead of turning to drink. It’s not a good thing as I am a diabetic. The problem I know have is I am addicted to sweet instead of booze x

18. MareeB 3 years ago

I’m new here – I treasure my privacy but have found so much inspiration from your stories that I feel a need to contribute – Day 4 for me – got through Fri and Sat nights – yay!!

• Angel1 3 years ago

Good on you well done. How have you been progressing?

19. manda7080 3 years ago

Hi I’m new here. Everyone’s journey is so humbling. I’m a functioning alcoholic. Meaning, I can down a bottle and still be ok. But I know that’s not ok. I have two kids and my husband is away a lot. Sometimes I just want to reach for the bottle at 3.30 or 4, after school. Its an escape. I don’t want to do that anymore. I am fit and active, but I know I could loose more weight if I just stopped drinking too. Today is the first day – i am taking small steps but I’m not going to drink at all this week! And it’s my birthday week too!!!

• Charming 3 years ago

Manda, there is a saying I first saw on a poster in the 1970’s: “To be good is not enough when you dream of being great!” I would suggest that if someone is a “functioning alcoholic”, imagine how much better they would “function” if sober!

• mybestself 3 years ago

I can relate to you although my partner isn’t away a lot. I hide my drinking and then get too drunk and we have an argument. I get verbally mean and he finally left me today. I so badly want to turn back time. I have asked him to attend an AA meeting with me today but he won’t return my calls or texts. I was so excited about Xmas and then camping on the 27th with his kids and mine but yet again I have ruined it for us all. Today is day one.

• Jojo0802 3 years ago

That’s sounds much like me except for the extra child and I’m single!!
      How are you going with your change? I’m only day 2! Eekk

• Seabass 3 years ago

How’d it go, your week sober?

• JoanneAlbrecht 3 years ago

Go you, a good decision

20. memejacobs 3 years ago

Saturday was a battlefield. We woke up, had a nice breakfast. I made poached eggs for the first time and it was very stressful. I am a marvelous cook but I felt such pressure it was crazy! My former Saturday’s would start with a beer, because of the multitude of drinks that Friday night, I would need to mellow out. My body wanted it so badly but I didn’t cave.

We went shopping and I found a lot of what I wanted. Over the past three years I have lost 100 lbs so I’ve been rebuilding my wardrobe. On the way home I suggest we get Chinese at a restaurant I’ve always liked. I raved about it to my husband. We get home and BLAH it was not good. Of course that sent me into battle again. Part of me said “bump it you might as well get drunk and don’t worry about it”. But the real me reminded me “but I don’t want to feel like crap. I’m not doing it!” So I went up to my husband and put my arms around him and cried. Afterwards I told him about the battle. He said “You got this. I see you. I’m proud of you.”

How do you deal with these types of battles?

• Struggling 3 years ago

Wow that is so inspirational and strong that you managed not to give in! I haven’t managed to get that point yet, wine for breakfast it was today:(

• scot 3 years ago

Hi Struggling, i used to have wine for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea – all the time. I started to think that there was absolutely nothing that could change that but something just clicked inside of me and I told myself it had to change. I had tried to kill myself a total of 6 times, but I’m still here and now I almost ready to celebrate 12 months of sobriety. I think what I’m trying to say is that everything else aside you have to really, really, really want to change, nothing else will work unless you know that what is on the other side of this is worth fighting for. I fought for my life. what will you fight for?
        Hope something in this rings a bell with you.
        Good luck.

21. Kelley46 3 years ago

I am struggling with how to cope with emotions. I told myself I was going to not drink for 30 days before my birthday in October. I lasted three days. And then when I felt bad I had a beer. Just one. And the next day I had a beer and 1/2 a bottle of wine. And the next day a bottle. Felt ashamed and took another night without drinking. Then the past two nights I drank until I “fell asleep”. I know I need to quit drinking. Moderation doesn’t work for me but I’m struggling with giving it up completely.

• Memebird 3 years ago

I started and stopped the road of sobriety many many times the key was to keep starting over and over until it finally stuck and I finally reached the point where I am clearheaded in my thinking and I am in control alcohol free so don’t ever stop starting over

• kate.rhodes377 3 years ago

I find myself in this same pattern. It’s so hard but we can do it.

• alyoop 3 years ago

hi kelly i am also stuck on this i drink as soon as i sm idle and this is every 2/3 dsys i am lonely and scared.each time i drink i hurt people then hide away for days then do it again.i understand your pain.

• Noora 3 years ago

Maybe make babysteps, so instead of 30 Days start with 1 Week and then two weeks and then 4 weeks. It worked for me. But at the Moment im at 30 Days easy but around 30 Days i struggle and feel like i Need a fun night out which never seems to end in fun…

• khema 3 years ago

So feel you Noora!! I’m the same.

22. alyoop 3 years ago

i have just joined and i want to say thankyou all for your honesty and humanity?

• Noora 3 years ago

Hello 🙂

23. Hartypants 3 years ago

I know yoga & meditation work for me but when I drink I can’t seem to be motivated to do either. I’m an all or nothing type of person. When I’m drinking….I’m drinking. When I’m sober the feeling of wellness encourages me to live a healthier life. Moderation & balance, except I now realise I can’t moderate so there’s no balance. Day 1. Again!

24. Ellie7 3 years ago

Try mindfulness. I try and sit with the feelings of pain, regret, anger, resentment etc. Acknowledge them.

• Anonymous 3 years ago

How do you acknowledge those feelings and move on? I just feel depressed and like a fool for relying again on alcohol and then end up drinking more and saying I’ll sort my life out tomorrow.. which doesn’t come

• Choosewisely 3 years ago

Yes that’s what I found getting sober was dealing with these big scary emotions as I had poured wine on them for so long. Also I was getting off anti anxiety meds which meant a real rawness.
      Meditation apps, especially breathing ones and Jody scan I find good. Breathe in name of one .

25. fasteddie 3 years ago

Simplicity / Faith / Service to others ……. offer the best emotional chance of recovery imho

26. lynnellis 3 years ago

I write. I journal everyday but I write about my feelings, it resolves stress for me, I sort things out, I survive. I think of ways I can re-adjuct my life to make it less stressful.

27. Trudi 3 years ago

Firstly i try to keep myself away from stressfull and emotional situations if i can . I know it’s not always that easy , but anything that brings me down i avoid , i don’t need to put myself and my sobriety at risk , its not worth it in the long term . If i do need to deal with any stress or anxiety i just remember how far i have come in my sobriety and what it was like before i stopped drinking , IT WAS HELL !!!! I don’t want to ever go back there , so i sit with myself for a time and deal with the issues head on and straight away , don’t let them fester in your head , they will only escalate out of control and become bigger than they are .

28. meano 3 years ago

I guess I would still drink. Try to keep the stress away. When it comes I am not sure what to do or if I recognize the stress.

29. mollyroxanne 3 years ago

Going for a walk. journalling. meditation app.

30. Deester 3 years ago

I get very quiet, journal if possible. I do not have close friends, so going to an Al-Anon meeting to get out of my head helps. I am blessed with a very supportive husband. I read positive literature and watch positive videos. Maybe a comedy on Netflix. Exercise, if it is not too hot, I will walk the dogs. Action – take some action to release the emotional hounds.

31. morgan 3 years ago

Dr Mark William’s- brilliant

• ClearRainbow 3 years ago

Hi Morgan – after I read his book a few years ago I sent him and email thanking him. He wrote back! So nice.

• Deester 3 years ago

Thanks Morgan – I will check this out.

32. Nemo 3 years ago

Mystic Mamma, thank you. I read your message and tears just started flooding out. Its day 29 for me and I’ve started to realise how numb I’ve been all these years. So many emotions and feelings are bubbling to the surface now and they are raw, intense and very very uncomfortable and inconvenient. Your message has encouraged me to face them instead of brushing them off or hiding from them. I can see this is part of a healing journey. I’m scared though and I don’t like how I’m feeling.

33. Nemo 3 years ago

Ignore my family and go do something. Like watch Netflix in bed with tea.

• dswilson1209@yahoo.com 3 years ago

I need quiet time. 100 days sober and sometimes I just need to go upstairs and read. My nerves are numb. When I come home and see my stepson laying on the coach and not working at 20 years old I want to scream! Then I think – hey that is normal whether or not I have an “alcoholic” brain!

34. freedomfrombooze 3 years ago

I have only managed 8 days alcohol free and now I’m back on it and in such a state I always think I can moderate but I cant. Feeling ill, depressed and out of control . Oh and sleep deprived. Totally addicted.

• JoanneAlbrecht 3 years ago

Hang in there, this awful time will pass.

• Itsnowornever 3 years ago

Hey, Just read your post. I hope you managed to find your way back. Im only day 1. Totally get what your short post said, but dont let it define you. Hope youre all good.

• Nemo 3 years ago

Can you get some proper help?

35. AggieRed 3 years ago

Problems are not our own to battle. We need each other for support and encouragement. Being a hermit is what led me to my life long battle with alcohol. Thinking I could control something, knowing if I took one drink, I would be back at square one. Yet countless times I did it anyway. I can’t do this alone anymore, with my friends and family and all of you this is more realistic. Time to be honest and accountable every day.

• whichisnice 3 years ago

And from what I hear, one doesn’t go back to square one. Were it only that easy. It is often worse and you wish you only felt that bad. I’m hoping I won’t ever find out. I am 32 days af and ready to continue ever onward. Wishing you all well, with love.

36. Neverenough 3 years ago

Given myself 100 days AF. Went surprisingly easy, no cravings, no counting days, feeling great!
    Now, day 106 and I’m really struggling. I given myself another 40 days AF to catch up on Lent ( excuse good enough for me to stick to) and hoping longer I’m no drinking easier will it be not to drink again.
    Seems harder. At least today. Didn’t help just spent long weekend at relatives house who is total alcoholic and basically all happens there is accompanied by wine. Got home today and hubby went out to get himself some booze. Brought home my favourite wine and just sitting with me drinking away…I know he doesn’t mean to do it as a temptation but I’m really struggling not to pour a glass for me. Feeling really weak, angry, disappointed, scared…I don’t want to drink again but with the rain outside, all cosy in the call of red wine is just so strong! Help! Give me something to think of to make the idea unappealing!!!!

• SarahD 2 years ago

106 days is absolutely awesome. Look how far you’ve came and look at the temptation you over came even not drinking when others are. You should be very proud. Well done 👍

• Jojogo 2 years ago

Well done on 106 days – that is a great achievement.

Your husband is probably just trying to be kind but I’d recommend you ask him (or set him a challenge!) to find you a really nice, interesting, different drink that’s non-alcoholic. I too would find it very difficult to sit across from a bottle of wine. And spending time with relatives who drink – that’s always a challenge.

You are not weak. You are doing really, really well. Keep posting so we know how you are getting on. Sending love.

• Teazy 3 years ago

I drank recently, the drinking part was fine, had a 3 day hangover, felt depressed, sick, no energy for a week, it zapped the natural high i had, took away my joy, was it worth it ? definitely not, you will be so happy if you don’t and so miserable if you do!

• Tom4500 3 years ago

Sounds to me like you don’t want to go back to drinking. I had that feeling once when I was on an antibiotic, and was planning to go back to drinking when I got off of it. Part of me wanted to stay sober. When I did go back to drinking, I drank more than ever. Five months later, I quit for good. I say ask yourself if you’re a good drinker, one who doesn’t have those awful moments. If the answer is no, then consider the joy of being free from alcohol forever. It helps offset those annoying cravings, those false feelings of missing out on a substance that, if you aren’t a good drinker, damages you.

• tgrim 3 years ago

Tom, I’m going to find your advise very helpful on the long days ahead. I’m only at Day 2. Thank you

• Izzy 3 years ago

You’ve come so far!! The taste wont be worth starting back at day 1 tomorrow. That’s all I got

• Neverenough 3 years ago

Thank you Izzy. I didn’t. I’m strong and reasonable throughout the day and the witching hours come and last two days been hard! However, I sort of worked out in my head what it is making me weak now- as long I have set plan i.e 100 days I’m fine. Since I’m over the 100 and was just a bit indecisive in my mind what to do next I start to feel divided. It is my mind which needs to have a concrete plan to follow to succeed. So. 40 days now. Another 100 after. I’m so so hoping after that I will not feel like alcohol at all, surely, habits change over 7 months!!!

37. CConway 3 years ago

Meditation is my go to tool.

• Lucky44 3 years ago

Do you use an App or is there some other guide you use?

38. TheBee 3 years ago

Don’t know yet as I’m just starting out again. The really deep stress usually makes me reach out for a glass of wine – even if I’ve managed to ‘feel’ my feelings through meditation. It’s as if I then feel I deserve the wine!

39. mysticmama 3 years ago

Hi Everyone, I am slogging through another day of de-cluttering the mess in my head space that alcohol used to get me to avoid temporarily. When lots of negative emotions are coming up, I reach for my spiritual tool box! The first tool I reached for today I’ll call: IDENTIFY and ACKNOWLEDGE the EMOTIONAL GUEST: Today, I’m dealing with a member of my inner landscape I somewhat affectionately call “Death Wish” because s/he would rather give up or give in, cares nothing for anyone and is in a ton of pain all the time. When this part of me comes up, the IDENTIFY tool really helps, but it can work for less complicated emotions as well. It goes something like this. I first Identify and speak out loud to the emotion/or “part” of me: “I see you Death Wish. I Feel you and I Acknowledge you.” This allows me to get a little space from that part of my experience. Then there’s room for it to transform. Sometimes that’s enough.
    If it’s still feeling awful or intense, (like today with Death Wish) I use another tool I’ll call DROP THE STORY and FEEL the EMOTION IN THE BODY. That might go like this: “Okay Death Wish, where are you in this body?” Then I put my full attention on my physicality. I notice it feels like a ball of energy just now, right at my heart center- whoop- now it starts moving up to my throat, it feels like a big ball I’m holding down, like a kid fighting back tears, oop- now I feel it at the back of my throat, it’s softening, i think it’s leaving with my breathing out. I feel my shoulders softening as I breath it out. Yup, a few more breaths and it’s gone. Transmuted. Message received. Feelings just want to be felt, and once they’re felt, they’ve done their job. If we can drop the negative stories they bring up, we stop feeding and replenishing the energy it takes to keep them active and they usually are willing to release. I know it’s hard and reaching for a drink feels easier. But I think we can all honestly say that if we’re going to continue to hoard these negative feelings and use alcohol to keep the door shut on the closet, eventually we will have to deal with the pile up in that closet. No time like the present. Be a warrior of spirit, know you are more powerful and real than anything you put in that closet and any part of yourself that thought it was necessary, or that alcohol was your friend. You are your own best friend when you’re willing to be with every part of yourself, even if it’s messy, even if it’s something you need to put in the “bin” (that’s what you NZ’s call the trash can, right? I love it!). Anyway, that’s how we eventually sort it out and find much more space for good feelings and new experiences! And we don’t have to go through aaaaaaaaaall the negative feelings at once, or find their root causes today. We can just take them as they come up. And in my experience, after a hard day of sorting, next day I feel like a million $! Well, I’m out here sober family, doing the inner work, knowing it’s not always easy or pretty, but it is always worth it! Yours in Freedom, -mm

• Nemo 3 years ago

• mysticmama 3 years ago

@Nemo…Fear is a big one. I think because sadness gets tears to release…but fear has this habit of making us freeze or shut down and yeah, we’re not taught to respect fear. Or really any of the “negative” emotions. But being aware of it is soooooo incredibly brave! You are being so brave!! The “not liking” your feelings makes me think of how we have these internal parts that want to help us survive. It’s just a false alarm that is used to getting its way, either by numbing or shaming you for feeling! Haha, that part doesn’t get to be in the driver’s seat! Anyway, I think a big part of riding out any emotion it is knowing that you are going to survive it. You’re bigger and wider and deeper- it’s just a wave but you’re the ocean itself. That wisdom came to me as i was riding a big wave, laid out on my yoga mat in my room, tears just streaming down and no “known” cause I could track. I just felt that answer “you will survive this emotion” as I thought in my mind that it might just go on forever. It felt insane to really stay present for the darkness of it, but after it passed, I was clear, peaceful…and I felt emptied in a way, but also strong and more clear in myself. Very present and like a storm had actually passed through me. And when I saw myself in the mirror later that night, I felt compassion for this person that had worked so hard to not feel all that stuff.
        We aren’t doomed to re-live everything that hurt or scarred us, frightened or freaked us out just because we’re brave enough to be facing the present wholeheartedly and alcohol-free. We are being invited to take hands with the brave part of ourselves that survived it all and is still here, ready to make room for new experiences that fill us up at a soul level, every place we’re willing to do the clearing out of old patterns, emotions and stories! And in my experience, we can go at our own pace. A big clearing out is going to take time to integrate, and be more disruptive to the status quo- but the shift will be seismic, whereas little ups and downs may not rock the boat as fiercely- but we could be at it for years. One way or the other (and sometimes a little of both) we are on the road to a bright future, and one that we are building with awareness and heaps of courage!
        I salute you, Nemo and I send you support and company on your journey. Here’s a little R.M. Rilke for your path: “Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.” -From “Letters to a Young Poet”

• Coxy107triesagain 3 years ago

Really like your example, am going to try this . Thank you.

• shellbee 3 years ago

Thanks for the mind map

• Chaves 3 years ago

Whoa. What a lesson. I will remember and apply this.

• WhippetZ 3 years ago

Love it, really helpful, thanks for sharing that strategy.

• truthangel 3 years ago

This is really powerful and inspiring.
      Thank you.

40. spring64 4 years ago

Went grocery shopping today and ignored the wine aisle. On my way out the door there was a big poster on a stand. It had a picture of a wine bottle on it and a full wine glass of Chardonnay beside it. The caption: “Sometimes you have to go to the ends of the earth to find heaven”. I got out of there, but it occurred to me that that statement could also apply to attaining sobriety.

• AprilsFool 3 years ago

Yup. I was pretty damned close to the end of the earth before I discovered that heaven was definitely NOT at the bottom of a wine bottle.

41. jnb51692 4 years ago

I’m on day 3 and I’m already thinking of the boring life without alcohol

• Jojogo 2 years ago

Yes, I thought the same. I completed 6 weeks yesterday and I’m anything but bored.
      I’m not waking up with a hangover so I’ve got more motivation to do stuff anyway.
      More interested in exercise, so doing more of that each day.
      Treat myself (massage) or chocolate (over-treating myself actually but that’s another story).
      Netflix – unsure whether that’s a win or a lose in terms of how much I watch but I enjoy it.
      Going to a movie on my own – the ultimate treat:-)
      Have been out for dinner and met up with family (heavy drinkers) but found I contributed more to the conversation ….and remembered it the next day.
      Have a project list I’m working my way through at home to sort shit out.
      Went to a gig sober on Saturday night – really enjoyed it. Had a plan in place beforehand to make sure I was happy with AF drinks.
      Yoga
      Next on my list is meditation.

Anyhoo, just to say, I thought exactly the same thing, have been surprised and delighted at sober life and what it holds. Be gentle with yourself and give yourself the gift of time to settle into it. Take care.

• Clowance 3 years ago

Yeh, I thought that, but I’ve just done our regular annual music residential and had a great time, me af, others not, no-one cared and I laughed and joined in as usual.
      But was able to enjoy the early mornings when some clearly could not ?

• SoberHobbit 3 years ago

82 for me. 265 since starting so have had a few slips. I had 71 days on cloud 9. No issues. Nothing hard happened. Life was opening up rapidly. I’m in day 11 of really hard stuff. But am coming out of it. I’ve finally realised all this hard stuff was 100% related to someone and something I had/have zero control over. How crazy. It’s been painful but am finally coming out of it. Now I can see it for what it is it’s so easy to deal with. Hasn’t made me drink. I know that drinking wouldn’t help it. Anyway it’s taught me some valuable lessons and I know what to do next time.
      Good work for another sober day everyone. What a miracle.

• shellbee 3 years ago

What is a pink cloud?

• Danssurfin 4 years ago

Just remember how insane and sick the hangovers leave us all feeling…boring is easier…I try to make myself proud by doing something else rewarding like working out or walking or playing an instrument it’s not easy, you can do it, and it will get better and easier I promise

42. denversmom 4 years ago

Day six here. Emotions are sneaking up on me. Although I have a longtime boyfriend
    who’s mentioned he’s proud of me I don’t feel truly supported. I want to talk about this struggle but feel he’s not interested in listening. I guess I can’t assume others no just how hard sobriety is. Anyone else experience this?

• shellbee 3 years ago

Yes, it is lonley

• Chaves 3 years ago

Emotions are coming up in me too. So are dreams. Sometimes feeling like I am sooooo in love with the world, life, everything… the next like a death wish (@mysticmama) is about to engulf me. There is no-one in my family that could understand such extreme feelings, let alone the deep ache of struggle it is to live without alcohol. Sometimes dear @denversmom … recovery is lonely. BUT that’s why this place is so great, and the people so loveable. A bunch of perfectly imperfect individuals willing and present not only to offer good wisdom and a listening/reading ear (teehee) but who do, I think, truly understand. 🙂

• alyoop 3 years ago

yes its hard and although i am still suffering in the brine i know that just joining was the right choice as the members are real and quietly know x

• SoberHobbit 3 years ago

Yeah you shouldn’t expect anyone to thank you for being sober. There are lots of us on here to say well done though.

• Julielynn 3 years ago

Be proud of yourself! Do it for yourself #1! I don’t think the average person who hasn’t struggled with addiction can truly understand! I also go to a counselor( a licensed Social Worker) to express my emotions. She is not a specialist in alcohol abuse but we connected and she helped me understand my emotions. She helped me realize that I am a highly sensitive person and one of the reasons I was drinking was to numb my emotions).

43. spring64 4 years ago

I am eating too much. Can’t get enough carbs and sugar in me. On day 5.

• Jojogo 2 years ago

Well done on Day 5 @spring64 and @Julielynn.

Yep, I’m hearing you.Based on what I’ve seen on LS, these cravings are pretty normal in the early stages. If you are doing exercise that’s brilliant, just remember to be gentle with yourself as you go through your sobriety journey – it ain’t for sissies – and that includes some treats along the way.

• Julielynn 4 years ago

I am on day 5 too! I have been going to the gym more to keep my mind and body busy! Taking group exercise classes like Yoga and Step Aerobics helps to get me there and not feel alone.

44. chefkbell 4 years ago

I try to keep my mind busy

45. jep9703 4 years ago

I relax and listen to Belleruth Naperstak’s guided imagery and affirmation CDs.

46. Toksez 4 years ago

Hi.
    I’m just beginning this journey. I have had several episodes of drinking lately where I don’t remember, behave like an idiot with no memory and ended up loosing my balance and hitting my head. I’m so lucky I didn’t do some serious damage. I feel ashamed of myself and my behaviour and I realise that I can’t just have one drink. I binge. I use alcohol for all the wrong reasons, emotionally ones. I need to stop this, and search for other ways of coping.
    I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s posts. I don’t feel so alone, just knowing other professionals are out there like me trying to do better in their life!

• stopnow7 4 years ago

That’s how I feel, too. Thank you for sharing. I just joined today.

• Danssurfin 4 years ago

I feel the same and had the same experience. The reality that alcohol abuse disorder is progressive has finally sunk in, that is definitely what it was doing to me….getting worse and worse.

47. Mirror 4 years ago

I can relate to so many of these posts!!! Thank you all for sharing. I can’t seem to make it past just a few days before I dive back into the bottle again. But I will keep trying.

48. ProblemDrinker 4 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I’m just beginning my journey towards sobriety (not my first attempt) I have found my triggers to be an inability to deal with emotions properly. For example if I’m really happy and it’s a warm sunny day I almost feel a compulsion to enhance that happiness with alcohol, which would be fine if I wasn’t a problem drinker. One thing leads to another and I end up far more drunk than I’d like to be and this is almost inevitably followed by a deep sense of shame the next day. This is also the case if I’m sad. So my question is what are some tools that could help me process these feelings in a more constructive manner? Would counselling be helpful?

• denversmom 4 years ago

Hi
      Our thoughts are exactly the same. I’m on day six, third time trying this year . I just finished the book, the naked mind. It helped a little and kept me focused. I’m going to try to keep telling myself life will be happier once the alcohol is completely out of my system. And when I look at alcohol ( which is available at my fingertips in the house) I remind myself I’ll have to start the day count all over again. For me, I’m proud of reaching six days…and I would be so disappointed in myself if I break…so I just turn away and find something to keep busy. It’s soooooooo hard. I’m an adult and should be able to drink if I want ?. But as I laugh at myself…it’s running my life. I think about it constantly and that’s a very bad sign. That just cannot be how people are supposed to live. We both realize this hence why were on this site. I’m going to see if I can find a “meetup group “ in my area for sobriety. I definitely need people in my life who have been through this struggle. Also, every time I think about my beloved red wine I make a cranberry and ginger ale drink…I’m trying to trick my mind ???. Gotta have humor with this struggle…I keep telling myself I’m going to get through this if it kills me. Haha. Last night I thought…what if I suddenly die next week, then damn it I missed out on my last days of wine!! Mind plays some serious tricks on us. Stay strong…I’ll be routing for you!

• Sandybeach 4 years ago

about to start day 3. not sure if i’ll make it. trying at least

49. RoRo76 4 years ago

Day 2…I used to run in the hills to clear my head when I was upset or emotional.
    For the last several years I just reach for that bottle of beer, wine, or vodka. It’s 9.30am on a Saturday morning & I’m already wondering what the hell am I doing and what’s wrong with just having that one glass this afternoon!

50. Sonic 4 years ago

Light a candle.play spa music…drink liquorice and peppermint tea…

Licensed by NZ Drug Foundation under Creative Commons 4.0 2022. Built by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel.