Inspirational Quotes

Many of us draw great comfort and strength from inspirational quotes and sayings. This Sober Toolbox is a space for sharing any favourite motivational words that lift your spirits and offer encouragement and support. If you're looking for more discussion, interactions and feedback, head inside our Members Feed. That's where the real-time conversations take place.

1. mindful mama 3 years ago

I would rather go through life sober, believing I am an alcoholic, than go through life drunk, trying to convince myself I’m not.

• NinaR 2 years ago

Rock on!! This one really resonates with me, because everyone in my life wants to see me as having quit drinking because it didn’t agree with me, or it was just a bad habit, or as though I finally lost those 5 pounds: I’ve kept the magnitude of my sobriety to myself for four years and I want to kind of scream: I HAVE TO BE SOBER. SOBER IS WHAT I AM. IT’S NOT LIKE GIVING UP SALT OR STOPPING BITING MY NAILS. MY SOBRIETY IS SO BIG THAT I ACTUALLY WANT TO CALL MYSELF AN ALCOHOLIC, TO GET ACROSS THE VASTNESS OF HOW IT FEELS TO GO TO SLEEP AND WAKE UP SOBER EVERY DAY!!!
      Ok, thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.

• macy 2 years ago

Love this quote

• Jynx 2 years ago

Love it!

• CarolB 2 years ago

Excellent quote

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says, “Oh Crap! She’s up.”

• mareej 1 year ago

I love it

• IslandOne 1 year ago

Love this one.

• SummerCruise 2 years ago

Love this! Thanks for posting

• Iowadawn 2 years ago

3. Slm169 3 years ago

The devil once whispered in my ear, “your not strong enough to withstand this storm” today I whispered back in the devils ear I AM THE F@&KN STORM!

Stay strong out there!

• sainty 2 years ago

I LOVE THIS!

4. ireallywantto 3 years ago

When no one else believed in me, I did. -ziglar.com

I’m feeling very alone but very positive. This will be my first sober weekend since Nov 2003, the month I quit breastfeeding my son.

NEVER give up

6. Maryboo 3 years ago

OBSERVE YOURSELF WITH CURIOSITY NOT JUDGEMENT

• Alysaght 2 years ago

OBSERVE YOURSELF WITH CURIOSITY NOT JUDGEMENT; I just had to repeat this, it hit home

7. morgan 3 years ago
  8. Shebe 3 years ago

This is the first day of the rest of your .

9. Laurel Herndon 3 years ago

This is so very true, someone has walked in my shoes. Thank you

10. morgan 3 years ago

https://youtu.be/ZfvS2LYbZLQ – Rest in these beautiful words.

11. Kendal 3 years ago

In early recovery I was told to….

“Take the cotton wool out my ears and put it in my mouth.”

“Don’t pick up the first drink, then I cant pick up the second”

“One drink is too many and 1000 never enough”

After I took action on the first suggestion I was able to listen to hundreds more sayings that would arm me with strength and hope. But the best thing I continue to hear is…..

“Keep coming back, it works when you work at it!”.

12. monica 3 years ago

TODAY I LIVE WITH GRATITUDE FOR MENDED RELATIONSHIPS AND RECOGNIZE WHEN SOMEONE IS SHOWING LOVE TO THIS SELFISH ADDICT THEY DON’T HAVE TO FORGIVE OR LOVE ME BUT THEY DO AND ITS AN AWESOME FEELING

13. Tshoene 3 years ago

Triying to quit alcohol

14. Fanoel 3 years ago

Good morning, all going well today, keep up the good work everyone. Thanks

15. JanB 3 years ago

“Sign on to a process and see where it takes you. You don’t have to invent the wheel every day. Today you’ll do what you did yesterday, tomorrrow you’ll do what you did today. Eventually you’ll get somewhere”

Chuck Close, “Note to Self”

16. booklover 3 years ago

“I am stronger than my addiction” this quote really helps me cope with difficult times.

17. Rangerdanger 3 years ago

Aloha Switchedon
    Thank you for this! It allows me to see my slip need not be a total slide back down into the the daily numbing that turns into daily remorse which turns into…….

18. Gary 3 years ago

In the end it has always come down to one single thing. Choice. When we talk to ourselves with our inner voice, someone in that conversation has to be strong, honest and compassionate. We can be loved by many, provided so much support in so many ways. But it will always come down to yourself. You are the only one that can give you a victory over your addiction. It is hard. Hard emotionally, hard spiritually, and for me it was and is lonely. Each day was my fight, my honest conversation with myself. I had to be my best disciplinarian as well as my best friend. Part of what made my struggle so hard and twisted was how much I would browbeat myself when I relapsed. And I relapsed often. I would then begin again a slow but steady spiral into my darker self. In feeling bad, I would pour in more beer trying to feel better, only to feel worse. With time, and much older, my journeys with my drinking became progressively longer, darker, sadder, and it took so much more effort and mental gymnastics to climb out.

19. Lillyby 3 years ago

Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny. – C.S. Lewis

• sophia2 2 years ago

Great quote !!

• kew 3 years ago

wow! thank you for sharing this

20. Jellybaby 3 years ago

Early days for me but this hit home…

I am sorry for the
    person I became.
    I am sorry it took me
    so long for me to change.
    I am ready to be sure,
    that I never become
    that way again,
    ‘Cos who I am hates
    who I’ve been.

21. MsM 3 years ago

If you don’t like the road you’re on, start paving a new one

22. Vann Dassing 3 years ago

I don’t know Who, or What, put the question. I don’t know when it was put. I don’t even remember answering. But, at some moment, I did answer Yes to Someone, or Something, and from that hour I was certain that existence is meaningful and that, therefore, my life, in self-surrender had a goal.

23. morgan 3 years ago

With That Moon Language
    Admit something:
    Everyone yo see, you say to them,
    “Love me.”
    Of course you do not do this out loud;
    Otherwise,
    Someone would call the cops.
    Still though, think about this,
    this great pull in us to connect.
    Why not become the one
    Who lives with a full moon in each eye
    that is always saying
    With that sweet moon
    Language
    What every other eye in this world
    Is dying to
    Hear.
    -Hafez

24. Catherine39 4 years ago

I love my children more than I love my bottle

• Lillyby 3 years ago

Love that!

25. bob.k 4 years ago

Being happy does not mean every thing is perfect it means I have decided to see beyond the imperfections

26. anna Bowman 4 years ago

You were GIVEN this life, because you are strong enough to live it!

Love the story

28. Awip 4 years ago

I feel like an eagle flying in the sky
    Floating on the current soaring up on high

The power within me rushes through my veins
    So I fly on even higher
    My feathers wet with rain

My heart pumps louder
    I feel like a new me
    No more drinking
    I feel I am set free

29. Prudence 4 years ago

RUMI
    I prayed for change, so I changed my mind
    I prayed for guidance and learned to trust myself
    I prayed for happiness and realised I am not my ego
    I prayed for peace and learned to accept others unconditionally
    I prayed for abundance and realised my doubt kept it out
    I prayed for wealth and realised it is my health
    I prayed for a miracle and realised I am the miracle
    I prayed for a sole mate and realised I an the ONE
    I prayed for love and realised it’s always knocking, but I have to allow it in

30. SeedsOfTitanium 4 years ago

At a meeting the other night, I was 3 days out of rehab and afraid of a future where I might drink again. I was sat there, listening to the share, all feared up and drowning inside. Then, as if it was meant to be, the guy ended his share with this;

“Your attitude to recovery really depends on your relationship with fear. How do you define FEAR? Is it ‘F*** Everything And Run’, or ‘Face Everything And Recover’? Because the attitude you choose is the game-changer.”

This is not my work. It’s just something I really liked so I want 2 share it with ya’ll.
    I drank for joy and became miserable.

I drank to be outgoing and became self centered.

I drank to be sociable and became lonely.

I drank for friendship and made enemies.

I drank to soften sorrow and wallowed in self-pity.

I drank for sleep and awakened without rest.

I drank for strength and felt weak.

I drank for relaxation and got the shakes.

I drank for confidence and felt unsure

I drank for courage and became afraid

I drank for assurance and became doubtful

I drank to forget thoughts and had blackouts

I drank for conversation and tied my tongue

I drank to be in heaven and I came to know hell

I drank to forget and became haunted

I drank for freedom and became a slave (of alcohol)

I drank to ease problems and saw them multiply

I drank to cope with life and invited death.

I drank because I had the ‘right’ to and everything turned out wrong.

Said this fellow, ‘It must have taken a bunch of booze to get you in this shape?

I said, ‘Just one. For me one is too many and a thousand isn’t enough.’

by Ruby Mae Heard

32. BackwoodsGal 4 years ago

“To whom do I owe my greatest apology? No one has been crueler than I’ve been to me.”
    Alanis Morissette

• soberorbust 4 years ago

I like that one. So much truth to it.

33. soberorbust 4 years ago

“Do not wait; the time will never be ‘just right’. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.”
    -Napoleon Hill

34. soberorbust 4 years ago

“No one is ever too broken, too scarred, or too far-gone to create change. Never stop fighting. Never lose faith.”

35. soberorbust 4 years ago

“I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday. One step can make all the difference.”
    -Unknown

36. soberorbust 4 years ago

“You’ve seen my descent. Now watch my rising.”
    -No clue…

• Lillyby 3 years ago

That is awesome, love it!!

37. soberorbust 4 years ago

I am a huge quotes guy so here’s one I really liked and I think relates to what we all are going through:

“If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.”
    -Benjamin Alire Saenz

Course won’t be easy but we can do it.

38. Wvlheel 4 years ago

“I find I’m so excited that I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at a start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.”

-The Shawshank Redemption

• soberorbust 4 years ago

@Wvlheel Classic movie, incredible quote.

39. soberorbust 4 years ago

This one I found in a book called Twelfth Angel. Not about alcohol or recovery but still inspirational.

“Every day, in every way, I’m getting better and better.”
    -Emile Coue

I saw another one I really liked while I was looking for the first quote:
    “Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light.”
    -Albert Schweitzer

I’ve only been on this site for a day but you all have rekindled my light.

40. Sharon 4 years ago

I read tis on a recovery site, I wish I could credit the source. “When it comes to my addiction, I think genetics loaded the gun, but the decisions I made, my behavior, pulled the trigger.”

41. Colin 4 years ago

I will be as happy today as I make up my mind to be.

42. Colin 4 years ago

If we live with one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow we are pi**ing all over today.

43. Allan 4 years ago

i would say I found this page by fate as i was looking locally,im in NZ.i could do with ALOT of advice and guidence/abuse and hard words if needed.im hitting 40 in nov,have been a drinker and heavy smoker since about the age of 12 (smoking) 14-15(drinking)..i gave up tobacco 12mths ago now have a vapour they are just as bad!!but still tend to hide behind the booze…and as a result another relationship is starting to suffer…..if this site is the real deal and someone/people want to offer there words of wisdom/guidence or advice i will go into more detail on my situtation..thank you.

44. Daisy2 4 years ago

Wanted to share this with you all this morning…
    Nourish beginnings, let us nourish beginnings.
    Not all things are blessed,
    but the seeds of all things are blessed.
    The blessing is in the seed.
    – Muriel Rukeyser

45. JessB 4 years ago

What motivates most of us far more than material success or recognition is our desire to be true to ourselves and live our lives in ways that demonstrate our personal values and beliefs

46. gemini1986 4 years ago

Hi everyone just checking in!

47. Ziza 4 years ago

Sometimes what you’re most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free. – anonymous

48. PinkFlamingo 4 years ago

Thought I would share, this was on the wall in the room I was in while detoxing :

Serenity means that I no longer recoil from the past, live in jeopardy because of my behaviour now or worry about the unknown future. I seek regular times to re-create myself and I avoid those times of depletion which make me vulnerable to despair and to old self-destructive patterns.
    Accepting change means that I do not cause suffering for myself by clinging to that which no longer exists. All that I can count on is that nothing will be stable – except how I respond to the transforming cycles in my life of birth, growth and death.
    Which means remembering that to give up my attempts to control outcomes does not require I give up my boundaries or my best efforts. It does mean my most honest approach of the limits of what I can do.
    Wisdom becomes the never forgotten recognition of all those times when it seemed there was no way out, and new paths opened up like miracles in my life.

And how did you get on?

Illegitimi non carborundum – Don’t let the bastards grind you down

I am in my 60’s and my sister gave me this quote when I was at school 45+ years ago. It has always been a great tool to recite when someone has said something that has upset me. I have said it to myself on many occasions and passed it on to others.

Licensed by NZ Drug Foundation under Creative Commons 4.0 2020. Built by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel.