Inspirational Quotes

Many of us draw great comfort and strength from inspirational quotes and sayings. Please share here if you have a favourite saying that lifts your spirits or know some motivational words that offer encouragement and support.

1. soberorbust 3 years ago

“I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday. One step can make all the difference.”
    -Unknown

2. soberorbust 3 years ago

“You’ve seen my descent. Now watch my rising.”
    -No clue…

• Lillyby 2 years ago

That is awesome, love it!!

3. soberorbust 3 years ago

I am a huge quotes guy so here’s one I really liked and I think relates to what we all are going through:

“If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.”
    -Benjamin Alire Saenz

Course won’t be easy but we can do it.

4. Wvlheel 3 years ago

“I find I’m so excited that I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at a start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.”

-The Shawshank Redemption

• soberorbust 3 years ago

@Wvlheel Classic movie, incredible quote.

5. soberorbust 3 years ago

This one I found in a book called Twelfth Angel. Not about alcohol or recovery but still inspirational.

“Every day, in every way, I’m getting better and better.”
    -Emile Coue

I saw another one I really liked while I was looking for the first quote:
    “Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light.”
    -Albert Schweitzer

I’ve only been on this site for a day but you all have rekindled my light.

6. Sharon 3 years ago

I read tis on a recovery site, I wish I could credit the source. “When it comes to my addiction, I think genetics loaded the gun, but the decisions I made, my behavior, pulled the trigger.”

7. Colin 3 years ago

I will be as happy today as I make up my mind to be.

8. Colin 3 years ago

If we live with one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow we are pi**ing all over today.

9. Allan 3 years ago

i would say I found this page by fate as i was looking locally,im in NZ.i could do with ALOT of advice and guidence/abuse and hard words if needed.im hitting 40 in nov,have been a drinker and heavy smoker since about the age of 12 (smoking) 14-15(drinking)..i gave up tobacco 12mths ago now have a vapour they are just as bad!!but still tend to hide behind the booze…and as a result another relationship is starting to suffer…..if this site is the real deal and someone/people want to offer there words of wisdom/guidence or advice i will go into more detail on my situtation..thank you.

10. Daisy2 3 years ago

Wanted to share this with you all this morning…
    Nourish beginnings, let us nourish beginnings.
    Not all things are blessed,
    but the seeds of all things are blessed.
    The blessing is in the seed.
    – Muriel Rukeyser

11. JessB 3 years ago

What motivates most of us far more than material success or recognition is our desire to be true to ourselves and live our lives in ways that demonstrate our personal values and beliefs

12. gemini1986 3 years ago

Hi everyone just checking in!

13. Ziza 3 years ago

Sometimes what you’re most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free. – anonymous

14. PinkFlamingo 3 years ago

Thought I would share, this was on the wall in the room I was in while detoxing :

Serenity means that I no longer recoil from the past, live in jeopardy because of my behaviour now or worry about the unknown future. I seek regular times to re-create myself and I avoid those times of depletion which make me vulnerable to despair and to old self-destructive patterns.
    Accepting change means that I do not cause suffering for myself by clinging to that which no longer exists. All that I can count on is that nothing will be stable – except how I respond to the transforming cycles in my life of birth, growth and death.
    Which means remembering that to give up my attempts to control outcomes does not require I give up my boundaries or my best efforts. It does mean my most honest approach of the limits of what I can do.
    Wisdom becomes the never forgotten recognition of all those times when it seemed there was no way out, and new paths opened up like miracles in my life.

And how did you get on?

Illegitimi non carborundum – Don’t let the bastards grind you down

I am in my 60’s and my sister gave me this quote when I was at school 45+ years ago. It has always been a great tool to recite when someone has said something that has upset me. I have said it to myself on many occasions and passed it on to others.

17. TheDuchess2508 3 years ago

Life is too short, and too beautiful, so spend another day at war with yourself.

18. TheDuchess2508 3 years ago

Want to find out who your true friends are? Get sober…

19. Wendys 3 years ago

I can get through this!!!

20. StephanieD 3 years ago

I am enough.

21. david wilkie 3 years ago

please forward quotes my way. i will use alot in our discussions at our meetings

22. Stopthatsnotme 3 years ago

The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves.

23. remembermenot 3 years ago

“Drunkiness reveals what soberness conceals”

24. Mwdebbie 3 years ago

‘However hard the evenings, the mornings never are’

25. Lily 3 years ago

I have never woken up sober and hangover-free wishing I’d been drunk the night before.

• Jynx 2 years ago

Thank you! I need to keep that in mind as I begin my journey. – Day one/.

• Sister#6 2 years ago

So true. While I’ve done the reverse many, many times. Day 78 for me.

26. Radhaprem 3 years ago

saying yes or saying no can change the trajectory of everything

27. Cookie 3 years ago

One day at a time is my inspiration. Even after more than 14 years sober.

28. Andy 4 years ago

If I do not change my way of thinking, my actions will not change.

If your not working on recovery, you’re working on a relapse.

If you remember today the mistakes from yesterday then you won’t repeat them tomorrow.

29. sophie 4 years ago

Nothing is more important than reconnecting with your bliss. Nothing is as rich. Nothing is more real. – Deepak Chopra

30. Tonia Polk 4 years ago

Hello my new frenz. Looking foward to sharing & learning experiences about living sober. Happy dayz are here again…one day at a time…

31. 1,000milejourney 4 years ago

Courage doesn’t always ROAR.
    Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying.. “I will try again tomorrow”
    -Mary Anne Radmacher

32. dogmama48 4 years ago

One of my favorites when I am on the fence about something is “Do or do not, there is no try” – YODA from Starwars

33. Authenticated 4 years ago

Lorax – “which way does a tree fall?”
    Onceler “down!”
    Lorax – “a tree falls the way it leans, be careful which way you lean.”

Dr Seuss ROCKS!

• Radhaprem 3 years ago

yes he is brilliant

34. Fitzie 4 years ago

Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation!

35. Zentient 4 years ago

“Let’s have tea. Let’s have galaxies, let’s have earthworms, let’s have sorrow and tenderness, and let us pour and receive the bottomless mercy that life has for us in our foolishness, our failures, and our most secret longings. In return, let us forgive the world for being the world, let us allow all things to be forgiven, to be blessed, just for a moment, just for the duration of a cup of tea.” – Joan Sutherland, Zen teacher

36. Zentient 4 years ago

“Let’s have tea. Let’s have galaxies, let’s have earthworms, let’s have sorrow and tenderness, and let us pour and receive the bottomless mercy that life has for us in our foolishness, our failures, and our most secret longings. In return, let us forgive the world for being the world, let us allow all things to be forgiven, to be blessed, just for a moment, just for the duration of a cup of tea.” – Joan Sutherland,Zen teacher

37. nolongerlivinginfear 4 years ago

When going uphill seems hard, think about the view from the top

I want to get sober for my kids

39. jo14 4 years ago

“You are only 1 decision away from a totally different life.”

40. Achilles 4 years ago

Just want to share this today….

A 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud lady, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o’clock, with her hair fashionably coifed and makeup perfectly applied, even though she is legally blind, moved to a nursing home today. Her husband of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary.

After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, she smiled sweetly when told her room was ready. As she maneuvered her walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of her tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on her window. “I love it,” she stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

“Mrs. Jones, you haven’t seen the room …. just wait.”

“That doesn’t have anything to do with it,” she replied. “Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn’t depend on how the furniture is arranged, it’s how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it. It’s a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open I’ll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I’ve stored away, just for this time in my life.”

She went on to explain, “Old age is like a bank account, you withdraw from what you’ve put in. So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories Thank you for your part in filling my Memory bank. I am still depositing.”

And with a smile, she said: “Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred.
    2. Free your mind from worries.
    3. Live simply.
    4. Give more.
    5. Expect less

41. jo14 4 years ago

“You only have control over 3 things in your life:
    1. The thoughts you think
    2. The images you visualize
    3. And the actions you take.”

Change your thoughts = change your life.

42. Chief87 4 years ago

You have a brain in your head and feet in your shoes you can steer yourself in any direction you choose. your on your own and you know what you know and you are the one who’ll deside where you go – Dr Seuss

• robbz 4 years ago

Good post. You can do this @Chief87
      You are at an age where you can take the world on and win. Thoughts are with you 🙂

43. Chief87 4 years ago

The best day of your life is the day on which you decide your life is your own.

• robbz 4 years ago

Yep and at age 56 I left it a bit too long but now on that journey and it feels good 🙂

44. Jessi 4 years ago

The tragedy of life is not death but what we let die inside of us while we live.
    For TOO LONG you have allowed the past to affect you!
    For TOO LONG you have taken personally what others say about you!
    For TOO LONG you have stood on the sidelines watching others thrive!
    For TOO MANY NIGHTS you have gone to bed worrying about what may be.
    For TOO LONG you have held a fear in your heart.
    For TOO LONG you have settled for second best!!
    NOW is the time to awaken!
    NOW is the time to shine!
    NOW is the time to ACCEPT that you are DIVINE!!
    ~ Lee-Anne Peters ~
    Temple of Balance

45. Brummiebird 4 years ago

@ExDrunk posted this on my feed the other day and i think it is lovely thing to quote, and very relevant to all of us.

“If you hadn’t been where you were, you couldn’t appreciate where you are now”

• RSW 3 years ago

Really love that, not that I actually appreciate struggling at the mo but the sentiment is great.

46. Frankie17416 4 years ago

When asked on a talk show how he, a recovering alcoholic, handled the pressure of creating the hugely popular US TV show House of Cards, the creator Beau Willimon laughed and told the interviewer, “What you don’t realize is being an alcoholic is a full-time job!” He went on to say that now that he was freed of the burden of drinking/lying/being hung over/covering for his behavior (my paraphrase), he had energy to create something.

This quote had a big impact–now sober for 7 months I found the first 3 exhilarating–it felt so good to feel good! But now that phase I is over I am restless, plateau’d, looking for what comes next. This comment made me realize why: now that closets are cleaned, bills are paid, and I’ve got my evenings back, I need an outlet for energy I used to devote to drinking. Wish me luck.

• t1ler81 4 years ago

Powerful. .I loved every word !

• Anonymous 4 years ago

Set goals for yourself. Ones that you would never say out loud because they scare you. Go accomplish them and make new ones. Never get too comfortable, continue to challenge yourself daily! 🙂

• Puddles 4 years ago

Macklemore has a great line in a lyric from his song Neon Cathedral in which he refers to his addiction as the “thief at night.” So much time in my life was stolen by my own thief at night.

• hummingbird 4 years ago

o yeah I heard that interview and was struck by that as well. It is like a 2nd job – with all the hours spent drinking and recovering

47. Grant 4 years ago

“Decree now, and say it meaningly: “From this moment forward, I will admit to my mind for mental consumption only those ideas and thoughts that heal, bless, inspire, and strengthen”
    ― Joseph Murphy, Believe In Yourself

48. Grant 4 years ago

“If you have indulged in fear, worry, and other destructive forms of thinking, the remedy is to recognize the omnipotence of your subconscious mind and decree freedom, happiness, and perfect health. Your subconscious mind, being creative and one with your divine source, will proceed to create the freedom and happiness, which you have earnestly decreed.”
    ― Joseph Murphy, The Power of Your Subconscious Mind –

49. Grant 4 years ago

“Deep down within the heart there is a stillness which is healing, a trust in the universal laws which is unwavering, and a strength which is rock-like. But because it is so deep we need both patience and perseverance when digging for it.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton