Inspirational Quotes

Many of us draw great comfort and strength from inspirational quotes and sayings. This Sober Toolbox is a space for sharing any favourite motivational words that lift your spirits and offer encouragement and support. If you're looking for more discussion, interactions and feedback, head inside our Members Feed. That's where the real-time conversations take place.

1. Pippin 2 years ago

Kia Ora, Day 11 AF after many years of trying. I’m now on antabuse which does work!
    My favourite quote is from Rumi: The wound is the place where the light gets in.

2. jennyallan 2 years ago

Hi everyone. I just joined this community today, at 38 days AF. My favourite quote and the one that convinced me that moderation really wasn’t going to work for me was this one from F. Scott Fitzgerald (author of the Great Gatsby) and quoted in Annie Grace’s book, This Naked Mind:
    “First you have a drink, then the drink has a drink, then the drink has you”.

• LiveLifeNow 2 years ago

Love that! Thanks for sharing.

• ironjan 2 years ago

that’s a good one. i’ve seen that one before. i’m here for the same reason. there is no moderation for me with alcohol. welcome to the family. i love it here and find
      a lot of strength here and hope you do to.

3. ironjan 2 years ago

“you just can’t beat the person who never gives up” babe ruth. i am going to be that guy.

4. Peter 2 years ago

I think I read this here. The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The 2nd best time is now.

5. SarahD 2 years ago

“This too shall pass” when you get cravings

6. highersource 2 years ago

after 755 days of sobriety,the long dark nights and blurry mornings seemed to have changed to clean clear mornings,a tidy house and clean car,organised paperwork,bit cant help the issue of being a rarity in a alcohol centred culture,a drive to a beach with clean water for a long swim seems to work wonders to calm the mind from the `raw living`mentioned this morning.

7. DaveH 2 years ago

“It’s OK to look at the past, but don’t stare.”

• AprilsFool 2 years ago

Oh I like that one!

• Nitanoo72 2 years ago

Love this and will remember it regularly 😁

8. Nancy 2 years ago

A quote I really like, and think about when I find myself wanting to have a drink: the pain of caving (ie as in ‘caving in and having a drink) is greater than the pain of craving’. In other words – take great pride in what you’ve achieved by making the decision to give up alcohol and whatever number of days it is you have been sober – and don’t make yourself have to start all over again! 🙂

• erinb 2 years ago

This is a great quote thank you. I am on day one and looking for something as a quick reminder. This is perfect!!!

9. Lizard 2 years ago

I’m on day 22 sober after drinking about a bottle and a half of wine most nights, more in the weekend and none on AF days. I was not remembering the last few hours of each night and
    being rude on occasion to friends when drunk, not the kind of person I wanna be. Listening and reading people’s stories has been so helpful, I can’t believe how many people experience what I’ve experienced and learning more about the damage alcohol and the industry is causing is also very motivating and helped me change my mind set about alcohol which has made being sober easier. Lots of great books out there I’m working through. My whanau and friends have also been super supportive. Ive found non alcoholic wine has been good to help with wine o’clock and when going out with friends who drink although I m not sure if this is regarded as a ‘good’ strategy, it does cost too so not saving as much money. I’m doing dry July so not sure what happens after July, still figuring that out, i can’t go back to how I was drinking and given safe levels of drinking is not alot of wine and now they’re saying there’s no safe amount I’m guessing I’m best not to drink at all, I don’t seem to have an off button like other people, it’s all or nothing! Not drinking again seems very scary even though I know how damaging alcohol is, so I try and focus on one day at a time. Good luck everyone with your journies and thank you all for helping me with mine.

• notreallyliving 2 years ago

hi there. brand new here, just joined today. related all too well to your post. just wondering if you’ve had any luck. I, too, am and “all or nothing with no ‘stop” sensor” kinda drinker. I am realizing the moderation trigger is simply somehow missing from my brain. if I have one, im having the full bottle, or two. hoping you’re doing well. xx

• Anonymous 2 years ago

I totally get the all or nothing. 🙁

10. LovelyGram 2 years ago

“Don’t look back, we’re not going that way” I sometimes feel discouraged, then I remember this. It helps.

• kitkat123 2 years ago

This is a favourite quote of mine too.

11. AuntyJ 2 years ago

“To sober up seems to many like making life “so serious,” as if seriousness precluded joy, warmth, spontaneity, and fun. But there can be a delusional, blind quality to non-sober festivities. To have our eyes open soberly with all our senses and memory intact allows some of the most rewarding, soul-nourishing, and long-lasting pleasures possible.”
    – Alexandra Katehakis

12. Jenn 2 years ago

On day six, no wine! Feeling tired, a bit of a headache. Other than that, feeling good and proud. I was drinking a bottle sometimes bottle 1/2 of wine a night.
    Have even had some black out moments…. this scares me. Not putting a time frame on quitting… Going day by day, changing up my routine, asking for support when I feel I need it. Asking for support is the hard part for me as I was/am embarrassed by how much I was drinking.

• Andit 2 years ago

I was so embarrassed and ashamed every morning as I scrubbed at my stale alcohol smelling mouth! yet would get right back on it the same evening… I made every alcohol is brilliant joke going and turned everything into a reason to drink yet was so desparate to be free of the hell ish routine I was trapped in… Day 18 today and do feel different than when I was drinking but happier and can look in the mirror and feel proud.

• SeekingChange 2 years ago

me too, this is day 1

• Andit 2 years ago

I hope it goes well and keep reminding yourself why you are doing this! I feel so good about myself despite withdrawal headaches and being myself (not pished). I am getting used to the sober social me and am quite liking her so far!

• happi2020 2 years ago

Congrats! Day 6 for me too. I had the same bottle of wine a night habit. Today’s the first day I’ve felt really tired! Although I haven’t eaten very healthy….given in to some sugar cravings. Looking forward to making it an official sober week tomorrow. Go us!

13. Nelly 2 years ago

Hello everybody
    Very new to this.
    I have been drinking a bottle of wine every night for almost 3 years. I am going on my 3rd day of being sober. I am loving the inspiration here and I look forward to reading about everyone’s different journeys. It’s a good feeling not feeling alone.

14. Minesawater 2 years ago

Day of sobriety – I recently heard this quote in a Michael Jordan documentary -“Never project your past in to your future”. I think i’ve been doing those most of my adult live – hence my drink problem

15. Minesawater 2 years ago

Day of sobriety – I recently heard this quote in a Micheal Jordan documentary -“Never project your past in to your future”. I think i’ve been doing those most of my adult live – hence my drink problem

16. chardy 2 years ago

Hi. New to this. 3 days not drinking.
    Been through a lot.
    But my fog that have been in has lost a partner & family that means the world to me & now has come the time to sort my shit out!!

• Coen81 2 years ago

I’m not at day 1 yet but at risk of losing my husband and family. I hide it. I cant tell him. He knows its something but not what it is. I dont know how to stop but I dont want to lose everything.

• LaBush 2 years ago

Are you still here, Coen81?

17. Cindy9176 2 years ago

The sea breeze is soothing my soul, to cleanse away the toxicity of my alcohol scream.

18. SLMS 2 years ago

First day here and 0 days sober. Today should be the first day of the rest of my life

• Scolon 2 years ago

How are you going? It is my first day on here too although have not had a drink for 2 days. Pretty nervous about the journey ahead.

• Peter 2 years ago

Nice. I wish I knew about dt’s ahead of them happening. For me it was horrible hallucinations. It lasted about a month or more but I think that uncommon. Looking back I wish I had checked in somewhere. So wish you the best. I don’t know how you feel about prayer but I pray God will help you and any who suffer. Even if we bring it on ourselves. Peaceful thoughts

19. travelgal 3 years ago

Hi from Sydney. Day 33 for us and we are hopeful this is for life.?

20. Sunshinydays 3 years ago

I Am Not Defined By My Relapses, But By My Decision To Remain In Recovery Despite Them.

21. Dee Mac 3 years ago

Looking at life with a clear view …
    Instead of through a fog …
    Makes human emotion a beautiful experience, in pain or pleasure, a lesson to be valued and memories to be cherished.

22. roxy22 3 years ago

Hi I’m new I’m back to my old drinking pattern hiding the wine topping the bottle up so it looks I have had one glass instead of a bottle and half.. I feel frightened not to have wine in my life…But I don’t want it in my life..

• Sunshinydays 2 years ago

It is a very addictive. You are not weak.

23. Delta007 3 years ago

Welcome to my sober and clean day 56 ! I am so grateful for my friends and the clinic family that have saved my life!

24. Gojugirl75 3 years ago

If I have just one I’ll be back where I started. Where I started is wishing I was where I am today.

25. ozzie 3 years ago

From another post (apologies, I didn’t note down the original poster):
    “No one regrets being sober”.

• mysoberself 2 years ago

This is so good and just what I needed today. Thank you.

• travelgal 3 years ago

So true! Nothing to regret!?

• houghton2020 2 years ago

LOVE this!

26. kristen2321 3 years ago

Hi all. Brand new and 2 days sober. Scared and trying to be strong. A work in progress!!

• Sunshinydays 2 years ago

How did you go?

27. swp 3 years ago

Sixty days sober is a great day to say if I can do 60 then lets go for 90 but remember one day at a time matters most.

28. Delta007 3 years ago

Good morning world… today is day 18 of my brand new clean life ! My morning anthem is from Frankie goes to Hollywood… Relax don’t do it, when you wanna go do it… the rest of the words I can’t even admit to knowing !

29. Linda 3 years ago

This is one of my favorite quotes that reminds me how precious life is.
    THE PRESENT
    Yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery,
    life is a gift that’s why it’s called the present!

30. KateA 3 years ago

My favourite saying at the moment is a Chinese proverb: ‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.’ It makes me feel really positive about changes that I am making at the moment in my life and not regret the past.

• Picklepod 3 years ago

I love your Inspirational Quote! So true… Thank you for posting 🙂

31. Lynn 3 years ago

From Jason Vale’s book “Kick the Drink… Easily”:
    “A craving is nothing more than an internal expression of they way you perceive a product; perceive it [alcohol] for what it really is and you won’t have the craving.”

• Lynn 3 years ago

*the* not *they*

32. RB2019 3 years ago

Just read this in the Sober Stories:

Matt: Be kind to yourself. You might slip up. You might question yourself. But remember why you made the decision to quit and keep going towards your goal. Be patient. It takes time but gradually things get easier. You can do it!

33. dswilson1209@yahoo.com 3 years ago

You cannot control others but you can control whether or not you drink. This was said at a recent AA meeting and I say it every day!

34. Saoirse 3 years ago

From “Taking the Leap” Pema Chodron.
    “There was a story widely circulated a few days after the attacks of Sep. 11 2001, that illustrates our dilemma. A Native American grandfather was speaking to his grandson about violence and cruelty in the world and how it comes about.He said it was a if two wolves were fighting in his heart. One wolf was vengeful and angry and the other wolf was understanding and kind. The young man asked his grandfather which wolf would win the fight in his heart. The grandfather answered “the one that wins will be the one I choose to feed”

I so love that because it is so true of every situation we can come across, ultimately we choose how we will be. What we foster and nurture grows whether it is good or bad.

35. memejacobs 3 years ago

“You don’t lose if you get knocked down. You lose when you stay down”.
    Muhammad Ali

• noboozeanymore 3 years ago

Love this!!!!!

• joaninha 3 years ago

This was just what I needed to read today after a setback after two weeks to day one again. I will not give up on giving up! thanks for the inspiration ?

36. Noora 3 years ago

“Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.”

• Tara Felker 3 years ago

I love this! I’m sober going on 8 days now and I feel so great for the first time in 10 years without a bottle in my hand can I mean hard liquor. I feel wonderful already I know it could have been longer I relapsed. Thank you for sharing this and if you don’t mind I am sharing this.

37. Noora 3 years ago

Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light

• sarahjd1973 3 years ago

I like this – thank you

• zodiacdebra 3 years ago

How you act reveals who you are

In my current distress that is helping me be honest with….myself.

38. Rachieroo1984 3 years ago

Shame is a soul eating emotion

39. Firefly13 3 years ago

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
    Phillipians 4:13

40. DaveH 3 years ago

The grass appears greener on the other side because it is fertilized by bullshit.

41. LauraLi 3 years ago

From a book I finish a couple of days ago. It’s a good reminder for me.
    “Alcohol gives you wings, then takes away the sky.”
    ~Clare Pooley

• wendyd 3 years ago

That’s a great one thanks

• Karin11 3 years ago

Amazing and so true!

42. JulieK 3 years ago

“A beautiful day begins with a beautiful mindset.
    When you wake up, take a second to think about what a privilege it is to simply be alive and healthy.
    The moment you start acting like life is a blessing ,I assure you it will start to feel like one”

• JM_be 2 years ago

Yes so true, spend your morning focusing on the good and the beautiful, be kind to yourself and get through another day.

• TinaPai 3 years ago

Yes!!! I love this. Every morning I say how grateful am for waking up, to have another day and every day I actually hear the birdsong and smell the trees.

43. suzkep 3 years ago

Quotes from a book I’m currently reading.

” So it must be imagined. For it is in our imagination that we can dream across boundaries, deepen the narrative, and design alternative outcomes.”

“Anger is a poison you mix for your friend but drink yourself”

Eve Ensler – The Apology

44. fasteddie 3 years ago

The purpose of life is to be restored back to Love, moment to moment. To fulfill this purpose, the individual
    must acknowledge that he is 100 percent responsible for creating his life the way it is. He must come to see that it
    is his thoughts that create his life the way it is moment to moment.The problems are not people, places, and situations
    but rather the thoughts (interpretation) of them. He must come to appreciate that there is no such thing as “out there.”
    (It is all within)
    —Dr. Ihaleakala Hew Len

45. fasteddie 3 years ago

Recovery is a Journey about the discovery of “Who Am I”. In that sense everybody shares that journey, irrespective of whether they have ever had problems with alcohol or drugs. Having abused alcohol and drugs is almost an advantage, as it forces one on that journey.

46. E S BARNETT 3 years ago

Physical sobriety is relatively easy — Emotional sobriety takes a good deal longer, and is very much the road to happiness, even though it takes a lot of forgiveness.

47. ditchick 3 years ago

Someone once told me..
    “I heard you finally got rid of your addiction”

I smiled and said
    “NO addiction doesn’t work like that”
    “once you have it .. you will always have it”
    “i just choose not to feed it!”

• Lucy 3 years ago

Very true

• Chaves 3 years ago

Oh my. That does seem to be so.

48. reallytrying 3 years ago

You never fail until you stop trying

It is better to believe than to disbelieve; in so doing you bring everything to the realm of possibility.

Albert Einstein

49. docherjo 3 years ago

I have been drinking 2 bottles of wine a night. Is it possible to manage your drinking as a social thing, maybe just drinking at weekends and only having 2-3 drinks a night at the most.

• Sunshinydays 2 years ago

Hi there
      Can you be honest with yourself and truely say you will only have a glass or 2. Even though you know that amount won’t give you the buzz you want. You will just frustrate yourself and feel weak. It’s like torturing yourself. Alcohol is addictive and your body and brain will crave more to reach the level you have created that it needs to reach before you get the feeling you crave. That level is not the bodies natural state and all your organs are suffering to maintain that false, unhealthy level you have created. You are poisoning yourself. That is a fact. If you could only have a glass or 2, don’t you think you would have already.

• E S BARNETT 3 years ago

I think you need at least a month of sobriety first before deciding if you can manage drinking, or even want to manage it ever again!

• brendab 3 years ago

Hi Some people can but for me once I crossed the line to drinking up to two bottles of wine couldn’t just have one or two occasionally, I just had no off switch once I put alcohol in my system, I find it so much easier to just not have it…its not an option for me because once I have one I just don’t know who will happen, the only time I can predict the outcome and feel at peace is with zero alcohol in my system, good luck I hope you find what works for you

• ditchick 3 years ago

Hi docherjo, i drink every weekend for 15 years can not stop blackouts, ect even though it is only one day of the week, i still do enough damage for a week lol. i know it’s so hard i went to AA and told everyone “hello my name is Shona i dont think im a alcoholic” they all just stared at me lol. i didn’t want to believe it because i only drink weekends but like i said i still do the damage of a week’s worth of drinking, I even told my alcohol counselor i just want to be a part time alcoholic… lol doesnt work ALL or NOTHING! Hate it as i love drinking its like a kid going to the Zoo.. All the best hun thoughts and prayers are with you. 🙂

50. Phantom309 3 years ago

It takes more than one human brain to create a human mind – Lisa Feldman Barrett

Licensed by NZ Drug Foundation under Creative Commons 4.0 2022. Built by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel.