Getting through wine o’clock

Late in the afternoon is often the hardest time. How do you get through the witching hours without drinking?

1,087 Comments

You just described me.

2. Patch 2 years ago

Everyone thought I was mad for “trying” to give up drinking at a crazy time but actually it hasn’t been as hard as I thought it was going. I have been 46 days sober and loving it! The first week, I was at a loss, so I did a jigsaw puzzle which took my mind of wine time and now I take one day at a time.

3. jupiterverse 2 years ago

I was Invited to dinner at a 5 star hotel that I had always to go to by a wealthy friend I knew as a student. I got to the hotel before he did and ordered myself freshly squeezed lemon juice topped with sparkling water and a sprig of mint in a large wine glass. He thought I was having an alcoholic cocktail. It was hard to sit through dinner while he had simply the best Bordeaux that I would have loved to have shared in my previous life. When he asked as to why I was not drinking, I told him the truth. I simply could not lie. He tried to tempt me but I held firm. This week, I am going to a fancy champagne and cocktail Christmas party. It is going to be another battle but I shall dream up a non-alcoholic cocktail for the evening.

4. Millicent 2 years ago

I found buying myself my favourite chocolate bar and a fizzy drink worked – felt a bit naughty but I knew I was not addicted to either and wa simply a treat

5. Tania 2 years ago

I think about wine, I can go days without it due to work commitments or maybe I’m thinking I don’t need it today. But I think about the next glass/bottle. I am a bottle a night drinker, no halves or one glass, if its there I have to have it. I am over weight, high blood pressure, have a double chin, gainers 20kgs …. yet wine wins

Day 3. Monday after work. Was so craving a drink and cigarettes. Bought some grapetiser instead. Looks like champagne with the bubbles but Alcohols free. Then went for my first summer swim. The feel of the sea water, the sun and sand. Forgot about the craving for a drink. The cigarettes don’t taste as good without the alcohol. Today was a good day.

7. Hotqui 2 years ago

Hi everyone,Im back again looking for support,my drinking has consumed me lately,I find I can only control my drinking for about 3 days,and feel fantastic on those alcohol free days but then the urge to drink takes over,I know even when I’m pouring the wine it’s no good for me but can’t seem to stop,I woke up this morning and poured a nearly full bottle of red and a half bottle of white down the sink, have done that a few times before but Im just so fed up of feeling shame and regret every day, basically I’m fed up of living my life like this.so no more feeling sorry for myself,I have to find the strength to overcome this addiction.day by day now.wish me. luck.

• Kit 2 years ago

Hi. Today is Day 3 for me. Again. I heard something about the craving that I repeat as a mantra:
      1. the craving will pass
      2. the craving won’t harm you
      3. the craving won’t make you drink
      Well, one of my mantras now, anyway.
      I wish us all luck!

• unicornin5018 2 years ago

i know that urge so well i did the best i ever have for 4 months then 6 days ago drank pretty much 3 bottles of wine in a very short amount of time … oh i was ill ! I wasn’t even enjoying it just getting as much in me … yuck yuck yuck ! i had never admitted to being an alcoholic until this year and that really helped with my commitment …. i know itl always be lingering waiting to pounce on me in a weak moment for the rest of my life but thats ok its part of me know and my journey

8. Darrell Evans 2 years ago

I want to have a ;look through your website so I know what I am talking about when working with others in our service

Darrell

9. Darrell Evans 2 years ago

Darrell

I’ve read through the first page of the comments and to be honest was shocked…because this is my life too. I’m very concerned about my health. Is my liver failing??, my kidneys perhaps?? Anyone got any experience with this??

Hi, well day 1 for me. Your stories of waking up at 1am and not getting back to sleep and the self doubt and hate are all so formula. For me also the battle not to pick up that drink is 5pm… walking in the door after work which is also about the time the kids start fighting, and there is dinner to cook and a days house work to do. My plan is to find healthier coping techniques other then wine.

12. Choosewisely 2 years ago

I am on day #7, again, I guess. My longest sober period has been three months, last year. But this isn’t as awful as the first time. I guess if anything, through the relapses and periods of trying to control it, and tricking myself into thinking I was, i kept going to meetings and reaching out. This is a huge journey and we don’t always get it at first, but try and stick with it. I kept wondering, how would my life and career be after a year sober? I really want to find out, one day at a time. Soda water and nice sparkly fruit drinks mixed with ice, lemon and mint – like macs range are good for the witching hour(s)!
    Just started liste I g to Russell brands book recovery that’s pretty cool . X

Hi this is my first visit to this site. quitting the boze has been on my mind for a long time- I am constantly fighting with the part of myself that pretends I have an ‘off’ switch. Found out at a social event with different friends that the accepted behaviour that I was used to isn’t really ‘normal’. I am really functional..just worry about what could happen. Want to control my drinking but not sure if I am ready to just stop.. m husband and current friends would not be able to understand.. we only stop drinking when we are pregnant..etc etc . trying to negotiate this site- any tips/advice/experience is much appreciated

• Anonymous 2 years ago

Hi. Bring your thoughts over to the community area of the site. This is where we are all talking about these issues. I think you will like it over there. Good luck on this journey. We are all with you.

14. hopefuldot 2 years ago

I understand exactly what you mean about coworkers detecting the smell. I started heavy drinking a tear before I retired and was always concerned about how I went into work. I think knowing when I wake up sober means all those anxieties are gone. It is a beautiful thing. Hang in there, and keep reaching out to others who are going thru the same issues. It helps a lot. I post on another board who has a page for pledging sobriety today. Found it keeps my Alcohol brain in check. Good luck and keep trying . Hugs to you.

Spin class, Yoga, Hiking. Anything that could be described as a work out!

16. Hopefuldot 2 years ago

I too go thru anxiety issues of failing. I have tried many times over the last few years to stop. This time I have made 2 commitments to myself. First I hit several boards a few times a day. Second I started a journal. So far these have been helping me keep the reasons I want to quit very much in the forefront of my alcohol brain. Thank you so much to all who share on these boards. It helps me to know that you too have gone before and come out on the other side. Helps me to keep telling myself NEVER AGAIN.

17. Eschia 2 years ago

https://sobercourage.com/2017/06/16/100-fun-things-to-do-sober/ – Podcasts, sober mags, all kinds of sober stuff to listen & do!

This is me. Almost exactly except…and I am so ashamed of this, I would hide alcohol in my closet. My husband would see me with my “one or two” glassses of wine or mixed drinks but her would not know about the two bottles I would consume in secret over the course of the evening. And for most of this year he has been working evenings and doesn’t get home until after I’m in bed so he would have no idea how much I’m consuming. I would wait until he was gone somewhere to take the bottles from my closet and hide them at the bottom of her trash bin. The hardest decision I ever made was to not replenish my stock and really, without it being there I don’t have a choice but to not drink so it has been 2 days and I already feel on top of the world. I joined this community to make sure I have resources to help me keep it going when triggers hit. But all man, the worst thing for me was the fear of my coworkers being able to smell alcohol on my breath from the night before. I never drink through the day, I would never drink and drive, but I’m sure it was detectable. Right now I feel the most hope I have felt in years.

• unicornin5018 2 years ago

i started hiding this year that was at the end and my worst … does your husband no you have been hiding it ? mine did i no idea i felt awful doing it as he’s my best friend ! i asked why he didn’t call me out on it and he told me it was my journey to go through ! i feel so bad when i think back about it he stands by and supports me no matter what !
      even when relapse or feel ashamed of what i did being honest to him would give me strength

• Anonymous 2 years ago

Sounds like a keeper that one šŸ™‚

• TipsyToeGal 2 years ago

I’m not sure if you are still here or not but I wanted to say I REALLY relate to your post. I did exactly everything you wrote. You will find that so many of us did!! You are not alone and I hope you are still with us kicking butt on being alcohol free!!

Hello everyone. Reading your stories is like looking in a mirror. Wine is my thing and I have ‘enjoyed’ this crutch for many years. Scared I’m not going to be able to reduce or stop as I have tried on my own to address this for some time with no success. The shame I feel is enormous! Really related to your patten of daily drinking maryisnotafairy. Trying to function through the day in a job while hoping I ‘don’t get caught’. Which just brings more stress and shame and more of a reason for me to drink at the end of the day. I really want to address my drinking and would value any ideas and support other members have to offer.

20. berb17 2 years ago

My first night and I plan to keep myself busy, but am worried about getting to sleep. I am determined to feel and be a better person.

• Dibee 2 years ago

How is it going? Are you on Day 11? Hope you are hanging in there. This on line support system is the best thing I’ve come across for a while.

• Dibee 2 years ago

How is it going? Have you got through the last 111 nights OK?

• freedom1025 2 years ago

Good for you @berb17. If you’re not already there, you may want join the community area and post there for support. It’s a great place to get lots of good advice.

In the first few weeks, I noticed when I was hungry I Really really felt like drinking wine especially after a day at the office when I am craving my own space. I made sure I had some sort of reward even if it was chippies and diet coke in the very beginning. The wanting of wine did not last long into the evening.

After 100 days I started to buy 0% alcohol wines and beers as it feels good to have as a reward at the end of the work day instead of soft drinks all the time. I wish bars in NZ would sell these drinks.

It does get easier, it really does. I was used to having a wine hangover most days for the last 20 years in our heavy wine culture. Am on day 152 now. I don’t know what lays ahead, and never use the word forever. Thats too restrictive for me.

The benefits of not drinking are far outweighing the first hit of a glass of wine – not to mention the peace at 2am in the morning and waking feeling the same as when i went to bed instead of tired and foggy.

• Dibee 2 years ago

I quite agree. Here’s a great saying that I learned from AA.
      If you feel like drinking, HALT. Ask yourself,
      Am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired?

22. Dave 2 years ago

I struggle I’m 26 2 kids work 70 hours a week and every night it’s my reward to drink but mines a whole bottle and beers

• Tom4500 2 years ago

So the “reward”, or the morning voice got you here. Looked for your profile and didn’t see it, but I do see you work a lot. Geez, 70 hours a week has to get old after a while. Going “Alcohol Free” does provide replacement rewards, and they are many. Of course two of the best three reasons are running around your home, and the best of all is their mom. If you’re sober for them, then you’re really putting in a full week.

23. Ricky 2 years ago

On day two hear of sobriety. Got stuck in another 3 month bender of daily wine life! Was dry all of June but a July 1 wedding led to this relapse. Able to get sober for 2 months at the longest which was two years ago. Then too, a birthday party did me in and kicked off wine drinking all Spring! Many issues started of course ( many described here). I need to stop!

I feel like such a failure for letting my drinking get to this point. Today is the first day for no drinking and I never want to go back. Taking it hour by hour and want to live a life without alcohol

• MsLil 2 years ago

Welcome to the journey of sobriety – you are very brave for taking the first step.
      Keep checking in daily and you will be amongst people on the same path šŸ™‚

25. Danielle 2 years ago

After many 1st days , I am now on day 2 . So very excited to find this site , ad AA is not for me. I have written a list of the positives of not drinking and can’t wait to feel less toxic so I can be a great mum again and start e housing my job again . For the first time , I don’t feel like I am loosing a friend and Misding the party . I feel relieved and at worst slightly mortified at all the money wastage and close calls when I could have been hurt or hurt some one else . Bring this exciting journey on !!

26. MsLil 2 years ago

The wine witching hour is the worst for me…wine ‘o’ clock or whatever you want to call it. Then there are the happy sad or bad times… basically it’s any time there is a reason to drink such as a reward, a numbing of my emotions, a celebration of some kind, a friend dropping in, a dinner party, a hard days work, a treaty for me!
    I realised non of the above is true…
    I drink because I am an alcoholic. The only remedy for me is abstinence that’s my medicine.
    As soon as it’s nearing the wine ‘o’ clock time I go running or to the gym.
    I cook dinner and make myself a lovely bubbly drink in a stem glass.
    Sometimes I read or watch a movie and treat myself to dessert or hot chocolate. Sometimes I take myself to an AA meeting. Then I take myself off to bed as early as possible to wake early and exercise or meditate or have a leisurely morning with the very best coffee.

Through the day there are glimpses of wine and sunsets and glamourous rendezvous with chamagne. As the day comes to an end I fast forward to the next 12 hours…Do I want an anxiety attack at 4:am with a pounding headache and a full bladder that is about to explode! a racing heart with sweats and dizziness low blood sugar and nausea? It’s insane how this can possibly be a good substitute for sleeping, feeling refreshed on waking, no self loathing or regrets, a memory of what happened the night before and a smile on my face and feeling alive and healthy!
    The definition of insanity – doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

• Drunkenmama 2 years ago

Nice words! Totally agree! That sure helps on day 2

27. grace68 2 years ago

Opps I mean it’s been a month since my last drink. Silly typo.

28. grace68 2 years ago

Hi
    I’m new and its been a month since my first drink. I feed my cats and cook a meal and go to bed early. I would have expected my depression to lift but I am deep in depression at the moment and seeing doctor tomorrow. I feel physically sick as well as miserable and unfocused. I don’t want to cave in and have a drink because I do not see a future with it in my life. It’s temporary. I like a soda with a twist in a a tall glass.

It is so helpful to know that we are not alone. I am on day 3. Thank you everyone for your honesty.

30. kbissone 2 years ago

I am finding that if instead of pouring wine, I take my dogs out for a walk, I can pass up wine o’clock! I still miss it! I have started Gentle Yoga, thinking that helps!

31. KathyE 2 years ago

It’s insane! That’s the built in forgetter that we have.

32. KathyE 2 years ago

Good luck to you and everyone else seeking recovery

33. KathyE 2 years ago

Thank you !!

34. KathyE 2 years ago

I can relate

35. KathyE 2 years ago

Trying to keep a positive attitude!!

36. KathyE 2 years ago

Feel very alone !!! Tried so many times to quit and afraid I will fail again . Prayers for me

37. KathyE 2 years ago

I work pretty late hours .loniness hits hard when I open my door . I found I have to have a plan what I am going to do for the time to fly . I will read books and paint . I shut my phone off when doing these things because I don’t want to get distracted or perhaps week

Day 3 for me..
    I have just finished reading “Mrs D is going without”
    I had a month off in July then my father passed away so slipped back into the old habits just to numb the pain.
    I owe it to myself and my family to be the best person I can.
    We will see.

Day 3 for me..
    I have just finished reading “Mrs D is going without”
    I owe it to myself and my family to be the best person I can.
    We will see.

40. JessicaDiane 2 years ago

A long hot bath after work helps to relax me and keep me away from the wine

41. Supersaloon 2 years ago

How do people get through Wine O’clock? I will drink from 5 pm onwards daily, usually 3 bottles of wine a day… I want to stop this but how to get through Wine O’clock.?

• Anonymous 2 years ago

Change your setting. Take on any activity that starts at 4pm – walking, hiking, yoga, shopping, napping. As long as you are not in the same place where you usually drink it can work. That may mean somebody is going to go without dinner if you are the family cook, but that’s ok. You have to put yourself first.

Well, this web site reinforces what we all know…”you’re not so unique”. Day 3 for , but i don’t allow myself to mark it off until I head to bed. Good luck to you all.

43. D 2 years ago

I have been trawling this site ,it fills me with encouragement ! I like visualising the wine witch but it leaves me with a problem when is she most likely to show up, I have come to the conclusion she never leaves me.
    Today she was with me at breakfast ( I live in Spain and it is socially acceptable to drink at any time of the day) I envy all those people who sit and talk over a glass of beer / glass of wine . they never seem to get drunk, of course I don’t know them maybe their on this site with me. Today the wine witch was particularly alluring and very seductive almost convincing me that I had not had a drink for the last 5 days and surely that proves your not an alcoholic. My mind replied we have been through this before and you keep trying Witch and winning ! no more I know the game by now ,So Witch stay in the shadows I know your there Sexy,Seductive promising the world to me if I will just give in to you, but for now at least i,m not playing ! oh I know you will try again later, you always do. For today though I win.

It has been really refreshing (?) to read so many of these posts today. The last time I went 2 days without a drink was seven years ago. Ever since, I have had at least one (and often two bottles) glass of wine every day. This doesn’t make me happy and I hide it as much as possible. My new husband has expressed concerns a number of times and yet he still married me. I guess I’m lucky.

While yesterday I had a normal amount for me (about a bottle and a half) I woke up in the night feeling more horrible than usual. Vomited even. Then I didn’t go to work today because I felt unwell. Of course earlier today I encountered the usual resolve to cut back and not do it again, but here I am on my second glass of wine.

This is a horrible trap and I recall very clearly the day in my mid 20’s when I realised I love alcohol and became instantly dependent.

Sometimes I imagine all the things I may do if it weren’t for alcohol- socialise more freely, finish projects, genuinely think through decisions, stay awake through a movie, learn new skills, have better skin, remember things… The list goes on.

45. Annabel Nesbitt 2 years ago

I have just joined this site after 11 months sober. I have felt so alone . Reading these posts is like I’ve found a family.

46. pixie1234 2 years ago

loads of sodas and eating unfortunately šŸ™‚

47. pixie1234 2 years ago

Many, many sodas and eating-unfortunately!

This is good adivce. I am trying to keep busy between 5 and 8 and then the craving seems to lessen. It’s true that when I wake in the night I feel a little panic that I’ve got a hangover and then feel so pleased when I don’t. I never wake in the morning wishing I had drunk the night before. But I am thinking all day about whether I need to quit or whether I’m alright to drink. I know I want to give it up because it does seem to dominate everything and yes, I’ve had horrible nights and regretted things the next day. I’ve felt embarrassed and I’ve seen other drunk people and thought, ‘God is that what I’m like?’. I suppose I keep on justifying my need to drink to myself. Is that normal? Sometimes I only have two glasses and sometimes a bottle but I think it that I want to be free to be thinner and fitter and to be free. It would be good to hear what anyone thinks about this……

Have a shower, and while enjoying the flowing aTer, imagine me as a child never thinking about alcohol. Then I spend time looking after my skin, smoothing cream onto myself and then get into my pyjamas. This takes me through witching time. It’s become a ritual.

50. Shebe 2 years ago

One trigger for me is my pool. I have friends over to “float” and catch some rays and in the past we would never float without a drink. It was great just to relax in the pool for the day and slug the beers, not a care in the world right… Well I still have those days floating in the pool with family and friends the only change is they will have a drink or several and I have my infused water. Sometimes I feel like a beer would be great but then push it out of my mind and just float and remember that tomorrow morning I will wake up and be able to function and feel great! Life is good!!!

Living Sober by NZ Drug Foundation is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Built with love by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel. 2019.