Getting through wine o’clock

Late afternoon is often the hardest time to avoid drinking. This Sober Toolbox is a space for sharing tips on how to beat cravings, and for discovering new techniques that have worked for others. If you're looking for more discussion, interactions and feedback, head inside our Members Feed. That's where the real-time conversations take place.

1,328 Comments
  1. kellymariachapman1 7 months ago

Hello, just over six months sober and cranberry juice heated up is quite nice as well as lemon and lime in hot water, it is a struggle sometimes especially when something goes wrong for example your shopping bag breaks with shopping in it or your washing machine doesn’t spin all the water out of your clothes and you have to lug your washing to the local launderette looking and feeling like shit but as the temptation to drink try’s to lure its way in you have to keep trying and pushing it away as far away as possible and maybe reach for a bar of chocolate instead if needed or a few press ups

2. Leanne 7 months ago

Hi, I’m 47, a mum to a beautiful 6 year old, I have a loving partner, and I have a love of wine 6 out of days, wine o’clock is after work. Today I want to stop, had a bit more than intended to last night, feeling fresh after a good night’s sleep but the guilt of my habit is hitting me again. I don’t want my daughter to remember me a “the mum who always had a wine in her hand each night”, plus the snaking while drinking is putting some weight around the middle. I need to stop, I want to stop, I want to be able to come home with my daughter put our sneakers on each night and head out for walks

• BeautifulChaos 7 months ago

Hi Leanne,
      Welcome to Living Sober. This Community changed my life 54 days ago when I was in a similar position to where you sound like you are right now.
      Good on you for reaching out x
      I’m 42, and have 3 beautiful children (4, 8, 10) and was also drinking way too much more than was comfortable for me. I tried moderating over the past 2 years, and gave up a couple of times last year – only to revert back to the wine again, until Dec 27th 2019 when I woke up and knew that I had to go Alcohol Free to save my life, relationships and sanity!
      I’m really happy to chat, share ideas and be there for you if you want..
      My 10 year old son used to say that I always had a glass of wine in my hand when I read them bedtime stories (it’s been a slippery slope for a while I realise!), and tonight – after 54 days sober – he gave me a great big hug after our bedtime chat, and called out ‘Night Mum’ as I walked down the hallway. I feel like we are back on the same page again, and as much as I am doing this for me. I’m also doing it for my kids and my marriage.
      Take care, and keep putting one foot in front of the other.
      BC x

• Leanne 7 months ago

Oops should read 6 out of 7 days

3. Mary's Wake-up call 8 months ago

I am ashamed and disgusted with myself and really needed this wake-up call. Think I was deluding myself for years that I didn’t have a problem with wine. When staying in houses where they don’t have a wine routine, I would have my own bottle, or two small bottles which I would secretly drink in the bedroom. Getting rid of these bottles the next day was a difficulty of course. How did I not realise I had a drinking problem?

Last night was a bit different. I was staying with a friend and was being treated with lovely food and of course wine. She was having cans of cider and kept filling my glass with wine so that I drank more than I usually do. At some point I realised my speech was slurry. That was when I should have stopped but I carried on as we were deep in conversation and I suppose I didn’t take notice how empty the bottle was getting. When I finally got up to go to bed I could hardly walk and by the time I reached top of the stairs I actually fell on the landing. I hurt my back and grazed my elbow. My friend shouted up “are you ok?” and I answered that I was. I didn’t want her to know how drunk I was. She didn’t know either that a short time later I was getting sick in her toilet.

I felt terrible all night and the next morning as I am not used to hangovers. All I want to have now is a cup of tea and plain bread and butter.

This had to happen. I am glad to have found this forum and have read so many other testimonials from others who are struggling. I really want to stop drinking wine and I actually feel positive and excited about changing my life.

Thank you all who have contributed your stories and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out for all.

• PippaB 7 months ago

Hi Mary
      I am 38 days sober and it took me about two years of “do I have a drinking problem? No I don’t have a drinking problem” thinking to do something. It want the social drinking that was the problem; it was the drinking at home starting at ‘wine o’clock’ until bed. It crept up on me to the point I realised I was functioning but poorly. The last couple of days have been hard for some reason but I keep coming back to how much better I am coping with all that I juggle as a working mother and COO of a household…
      Good luck with it all; this forum and Mrs D have been a real turning point for me

4. Mary's Wake-up call 8 months ago

I never get drunk – but last night I did. I am a social drinker but also a secret drinker. I didn’t think I had a problem as I don’t drink
    much at one time. Except last night.

5. lookingforchange 8 months ago

Looking at starting this journey soon, I’m just not 100% sure I can do it or want too (although I know I need to).

Having grown up with a Mum in AA I appreciate the organisation but don’t think it is for me – so am hoping this board will be the support I need.

6. Bored 8 months ago

Hi team
    Thanks for being just as (F@c*ed) up as me! Swearing is a new addiction well that’s a lie as I was fairly good at that too.
    I’m 5 weeks sober and every day dream of throwing back numerous delicious alcoholic beverages. Like most of you I work, run a family and at the moment feel like I’ve been stripped of all pleasure. Drink SO much water my pee is like crystal clear. Keep keeping off the bottle.

7. jor1968 8 months ago

Hi there,
    I am new to this site and Am Looking forward to reading about how others managed to become
    Wine free. Definitely my goal but have yet to achieve it. I Need all the tips I can get right now. I start each week of positively but inevitably fall over midweek. I really really want to stop. All tips greatly appreciated ?

• bestlife 7 months ago

I listen to the bubble hour podcast daily. Somehow hearing other people’s stories of quitting drinking helps me.

8. Catfarmer 8 months ago

Hi everyone, I’m new here. Looks like a really great community. Getting through wine o’clock is also my hardest challenge. And I mean really, really hard. I can be fine all day, start the day with a long run, eat well, play with the kids, work hard–all of it–till about four or five in the afternoon. Making matters worse I live across the street from a high end wine store in a country in Europe that has fabulous wines. Problem, of course, is that I polish off a bottle a day at this point and see myself at a crossroads. Either go all in and ruin my life or pull out and let it go forever. Sometimes I get a day or two under my belt but then some stress comes along–I have four kids, recently quit my job (am still on the payroll till the fall but working less), am transitioning to a new career, have a mother with dementia who lives near me, manage her affairs in the US (house, bank, insurance, taxes, etc.) as well as my own, one of the kids is a baby (I am remarried)…..so the chances of some crazy, maddening, expensive thing happening on any given day is pretty high. The day before yesterday, for instance, I was pick pocketed and lost my wallet and passport. After leaving the policy station with a friend we headed to a cafe and I proceeded to drink more than half a bottle of wine. Upon returning home consumed about another bottle’s worth. Last night drank a bit less but nevertheless…. I have to stop and have to find the strength somewhere, though so far it’s eluded me.

• fellow wine-lover 6 months ago

Dear Catfarmer: I’m sorry to hear about your struggle and hope you are doing OK these last few weeks. I want you to know that I’m coming up on 6 weeks sober and it took a good hard look at my relationship with alcohol to make the change. I have listened to tons of podcasts, read Hello Sunday Morning, read Mrs. D is Going Without, reached out to a few naturally sober people (aka my friends who have somehow just never drank… fascinating!). I recommend listening to Recovery Elevator and all the stories there. A recent one with the interviewee named ‘Tara’ is particularly full of meaningful revelations. I’m no expert by any means but I feel really good after just 6 weeks, and more capable of dealing with stress. One of the first things I noticed is that in the morning I am able to get my shit together and not forget little things like the field trip authorization form or bringing snacks for the Valentine’s party, etc. All those little things that previously I forgot and made me feel like crap. Then I noticed there was a cumulative effect with these things and bigger results started to come. I was able to manage a significant interview with 8 jurors without major anxiety, then enjoy the rest of my weekend after I found out I didn’t get the job. That wouldn’t have been possible before with a few big glasses of wine clouding the picture. Anyway sending you strength and just want you to know it really is worth it.

9. Yoda19 8 months ago

Wine o’ clock is my trigger too. Incredibly helpful to read all the comments of you amazing people! Day 1 hasn’t started for me yet. I need to see my health professional first as I already experience periodic tremors (in the drinking arm, of course) and I am frightened about de-toxing on my own. Add to which I am not young and that feels like adding a further health risk. So, plan is first-health professional for assessment and advice, then AA and counselling. I also need to fess up to friends and colleagues which feels super scary.

• LexiSmith 7 months ago

Hi Yoda19
      How are you doing? What did the health professional say, and were you able to detox safely? I too am desperate to be AF but also feels the effects of withdrawal. I’m trying to wean my self off alcohol but its really hard.

10. My name is... 8 months ago

Day 17 here. I thought I was the only one. (Middle-aged, college-educated, functioning, mother/grandmother, wife, active church/member…who also happens to be a closet drinker for the past seven years.)

• katiemac 7 months ago

You sound so much like me! 49, college educated, professional job, fitness fanatic, avid reader, church goer….and also closet drinker. It’s my dirty little secret (or I think it’s secret but I’ve taken quite a few risks with people knowing). I feel so ashamed and like such a fraud. Thank you for sharing – we can stop this if we want to!

• JACHALK 7 months ago

??

11. Josefina-north 8 months ago

Hi all, new here and this is day one. Getting through wine o’clock is the biggest challenge for me. Will start today.

• Whos-The-Lush 8 months ago

How are you going?

12. Icanbefree 8 months ago

Feeling guilty for a night of guilty pleasure. Sick of feeling sad, bad, mad – longterm effects of drugs and alcohol. I can do 3 days without too much effort so bring on day 4 and get this journey started.
    Day 1 :/

13. Michelle 8 months ago

Day 2 nearly over. Fighting that voice in my head trying to encourage me to drink again. No, I don’t want to drink again, go away voice in my head!

• Heather jones 7 months ago

I feel like I’m two people. In the day I’m in total control. Eating well, exercising. I say to myself everyday, grow a pair and stop drinking every night! It’s making my fitness goals impossible to achieve. No amount of exercise is going to get rid of my wine belly which I hate. It effects all that I do. I feel tired and sick most days from it. I don’t feel really present with my kids. Especially on the weekends when I tend to drink more. That’s when I shouldn’t be drinking so I could feel good on their days off school and have more energy. Then at 5 pm I lose all the will power I had during the day. I say to myself, you look better than most people, one won’t hurt anybody. Lighten up and enjoy life. I’m not drinking to cover up any pain or stress. I just love wine. White in the summer with seafood and red in the winter with a beef stew. I quit once for three weeks. It was the most boring time. I didn’t look forward to anything, like my treat at the end of the day. I look at people who don’t drink and think, they seem to be fine without it. Going to a nice restaurant and not having any wine would be torture. I’d rather not go.

• Karyn76 3 weeks ago

Your post resonated with me because I love wine too! One of my biggest motivators to stop drinking is vanity! I’m getting fat and I feel so wrinkly. Yuck! I also spend way too much time thinking about wine. Some mornings I wake up and think of what I will drink that evening, or I’ll wake up annoyed at myself for drinking when I promised myself I wouldn’t…

• soberup 8 months ago

Hi Michelle
      This is my first day of many days of trying to give up, it really sucks when I fail. I keep asking myself why alcohol has a hold on me, and truthfully I don’t have an answer because I have been drinking for so so many years its a daily habit. Now like so many other times I am ready to quit. I want to feel those good natural feelings people talk about when you give up the drink. Lets keep the communication lines open and be able to support each other.

14. Audi 8 months ago

Day two now and I’m feeling proud of myself.. walked the dogs and stopped for a coffee instead of the usual Glass of wine ..

15. HKR25 9 months ago

wine O’clock happens a few times a week,I’m nearly 26 and finding it difficult manage the after work wine. How do you beat the ‘hard day’ drinks

• Whos-The-Lush 8 months ago

I drink non-alcoholic wine and beer, I still feel like I am having a treat

• PamB 8 months ago

Is there a non alcholic wine you recommend? All of the ones I have tried are positively awful! Think I am going to have to drink soda in a wine glass instead

16. Gemma 9 months ago

I have tried so many times to give up. Always go back to day 1. Alcohol is affecting my marriage and my relationships with my adult children and friends and family. This morning my husband has said it has to stop so today has to be Day 1 for real. No more giving in to the demon that is alcohol

• neensyb 8 months ago

@gemma I know what you mean! Have you read The Sober Diaries. OMG I seriously could have thought the book was written about me. Give it a go, it’s enlightening. How are you doing anyway? No answer is the wrong answer, I am genuinely asking how you are doing. x

17. ozzie 9 months ago

Wow! I feel that I am not alone in this dreadful Wine O’Clock.

• JACHALK 7 months ago

You most definitely are not 🙂

• anonymous 7 months ago

I love how this is so wine-specific! It is really my downfall as well. Even reading about it in this blog is triggering me.

I love whiskey sours too..

18. Princess 9 months ago

Well I’m on day 3! Bloody New Year’s Eve!! My husband and I are both being a bit moody and snappy with each other. Am planning an early night tonight and getting up early in the morning to go for a long walk.

19. donnamarie 9 months ago

Strategy for coasting through wine time today: A gentle yoga class that runs 6:05-7:15. Sending strength and hope to everyone else out there.

20. scottym 9 months ago

Day one. Yay.

21. LDL146 9 months ago

This is day one of many days to come. I need to keep busy after 4pm today and every day from now on.

22. @maryanne 9 months ago

I have decided today is the day. I am 46 years old and have been drinking since I was 14. In the last 3 or 4yrs my drinking habits have changed, as in I dont drink 1-2 bottles of wine most nights any more. I only drink once a week and get drunk or 2 or 3 times a week but not to get drunk. I love the taste but when I do get drunk I always wake the next morning with anxiety so bad that I swear I’m not drinking anymore, but how quickly I forget on a nice hot sunny day. My younger sister has been sober for 4yrs now and when she first got sober eveyone said good on her, and I thought well she needed to because she had major problems caused by the drinking, and to prove I could control it i would stop drinking for months at a time, and start again on nice sunny day because I don’t have a problem. Yea right. The anxiety is horrible, as I lay here thinking about things I can’t change or control, knowing full well it’s in my mind, which by the way will find anything to cause this feeling of dread. It’s worse if I dont remember anything from the night before and then I’m paralysed for a whole day with anxiety about things I may have said or done. In my normal every day life, I am assertive and a very confident and capable leader at worker and I dont like the feeling of anxiety when I’ve been drinking. This has been my drinking for the past 3-4yrs and I am determined to change it today. I know it’s going to be difficult.

23. peanut47 9 months ago

Day one for me… Going to be difficult Im sure..

24. Danale 9 months ago

I have found audio books on sobriety to be very helpful. Day 12 and already listened to two. I listen on my way home from work, a little motivation before walking in the door, and listen while I’m cooking dinner with earplugs, since my husband doesn’t want to hear it and for all he knows, I could be rocking out while I’m cooking. :0

• MollyP 9 months ago

Hey Danale I do this too and it helps a lot! Which ones do you like the best?

• donnamarie 9 months ago

What books do you recommend?

• MollyP 9 months ago

@donnamarie this Naked Mind by Annie Grace

25. morgana 9 months ago

Day 1 for me and my husbands been away all week he changed jobs and now he’s already staying away I’m already lonely with no friends in this town and now he stays away as he’s a truck driver so its had not to have a drink as it was my friend as the craving is there but I’m going to try and be strong

26. freddie 9 months ago

I’m just starting tday I can see it’s gona be tough where can I get the book just need a kick start

27. MaggieM 9 months ago

Third day of no wine o’clock. I’m tired of being tired. I lived in a community that values socialization with happy hours,
    Mom’s Night Out, Bunco, sport parent’s gatherings..etc. It became normal to drink wine all the time. I moved away from
    the community, but continued to drink to cope with stressors. It’s time for a change.

28. sarahjfyfe 9 months ago

Cooking dinner for my horde of 3 kids & 1 International student, I am always armed with a bottle of wine. Chopping onions and leaning over a hot oven becomes much less of an ordeal. Recently, on my quest for an alcohol-free lifestyle, I have started cooking dinner at 7am. What a difference this has made!
    Now, I return from my after work walk, hot tired & hungry, and dinner is ready to be served ?

• vicki1404 9 months ago

I love this! Great problem solving.

29. Sharon123 9 months ago

Changing the routine. Taking the dogs or myself for a walk.

30. Butterfly23 9 months ago

Trying to not drink when my ’tradie’ husband comes home for a cold beer is the most difficult thing. I’ve had a long day at work, I’m organising dinner and things for the kids and all I want is a wine or five to relax and make everything feel easier. Although I know that is only a temporary feeling, always feel worse the next day which then leads to wanting to drink more because i feel bad. Such a cycle!!

31. Buffy2011 9 months ago

Day 1 again for me. I am so tired of being fat, drunk and tired! I’ve gone 30 days before without wine, so I think I can do this. Tonight I had seltzer to drink and found this website!

• Sharon123 9 months ago

I can completely relate. Felt like crap again today. Worried about Xmas just around the corner.

32. LynleyBreeze 10 months ago

Saying hello to each morning (metaphor for being sober) is LIFE. Doing the “urg surfing” and delay and distract action helps me. Continuing to do the things you do and riding the urge is difficult, as we all know, but also necessary.

33. Lyney 10 months ago

Eat well and learn to cook. Buy a good knife and wooden chopping board and figure out how to park your meal at the top of the hill. Use a timer so when to add to the cooking and when to eat.

34. Chelly 10 months ago

So, decided i want to change this unhealthy relationship i have with wine and alcohol. wine mostly. its just become too easy to reach for the wine when a work day has been bad, or life feels too much or overwhelming. Im nearly 48 now and i think its gotten worse over the last 4 years since my sister died. I want to take back some control and navigate my own life. Day 2 today and wine o clock feels easy so far – I can easily do a few days — its usually the 3rd day that is harder, but i am wanting 2020 to be my year. My job is stressful, my home life is crazy and my blood pressure is up! So Im going back to my excercise, back to trying to live healthier and find some inner strength. I usually try to distract myself at wine o cllock so hoping this works this week.

• daddysgirl 9 months ago

Hi chelly thanks for sharing- its very familiar to me too. Hows your week been?

• Kittkatt 9 months ago

Wow! I really resonated with your story. How’s it all going? I’ve just signed up today. Hoping this will help me too

35. Berenice 10 months ago

Hi I start today, for a couple of years I say today I start.. I hope I can do this..
    8:30am where I live and already thinking about how to get through wine hour.. Terrible.

• blueberry 9 months ago

Hi Berenice, how has your week been? I always feel like today is the day. It’s always day one… but I really really feel like today has to be the day!

36. sarahjd1973 10 months ago

46 year old, 33 days sober after an initial hospital detox. Have had severe anorexia for the past 20 years and drinking was a ‘great way’ to get instant energy and relax and well…. just be happy. Anorexia has left me with no family of my own or career etc. etc. – yet. My last 6 months of drinking, I just sort of ‘gave in’ to the alcohol. A few glasses turned into 2 bottles of 15.5% (had to be) red wine from the wine company every day. Started to gain weight and the more I drank, the more I gained and the more I gained the more I drank to cope with the disgust and humiliation I felt. Now I’m sober and my biggest enemy in the afternoon at wine-o-clock is hunger – it would be ‘just so easy and quick and NICE’ to have ‘just one glass’ to take the edge off. But I know that the just one would very very soon turn into ‘just one bottle’ and then two plus and an overpowering obsession every day to get my ‘anaesthetic’. It would start at 5 o’clock, then move to lunch time start, then my ’10-o’clock tickle’ as I so fondly thought of it as and then 9am starts and throughout the day just to ‘cope’. Towards the end I’d be gagging on a fast half bottle just to get the day going – so humiliating going into the wine shop everyday. 3am and I’d have the most terrible ‘drys’. Now that it’s been over a month, it’s really good to finally reach out and talk about how it was when I was drinking – helps to get through the wine-o’clock hours in the early evening to hear others struggling but winning. I’m in this for the long haul – sober life has GOT to get better.

• stef 9 months ago

Wow well done Sarah, inspiring to hear how far you’ve come. I’ve just finally admitted to myself and my loved ones that yes I do have a bad binge drinking problem.. sober days far to far apart between all the heavy drink days in the past month, sick of hurting the most important people in my life and abusing myself with the drink. Things need to change and only o have the power so here’s to day one…. Thinking this is a great tool to seek support/relate and help each other to make good decisions!

• LynleyBreeze 10 months ago

Well done. The most sobering story I have heard. I have just started on my journey after a terrible bustup with my husband. Fortunately he has forgiven me.

• sarahjd1973 10 months ago

Thank you – that little well done has made my morning! The first 8 days for me were the most intense and I was tired for over a month but 36 days sober now and things are beginning to get better so keep going, you are so lucky to have a forgiving husband. Whenever I feel like a wine’o’clock, I just remember what it was like in the late days of drinking and the early days of sobriety and that reminds me of how far I’ve come and I don’t want to throw it all in and go back to day 1. I count the days and the things I can do now I am not drinking – little things like getting up before 8am, studying physics and being present in class, being present in the evenings with my amazing mother, even watching seven sharp sober!, looking at my beautiful golden cocker-spaniel in the sun-light as he wags his tail and prances around the house like he’s a little prince!

37. Gidget99 10 months ago

Day 45, and wine o’clock is getting much easier. I often get to 6:30 without having thought if it at all, and the cravings are not as powerful. I’ve always loved cooking, but it has been a chore for the last 6 weeks whilst going without. But with 3 kids, there was really no choice. A few things that really helped me early on:
    – Easier meals (not committing to a really involved meal like lasagne)
    – Finding a replacement drink I really enjoyed (lime cordial, or lemon lime & bitters soft drink)
    – Having a little pre-dinner snack, like some nice cheese (sliced up into little pieces on the chopping board in the kitchen). This made me feel like I was indulging in some way, which I think sort of tricked my brain into feeling like I wasn’t ‘going without’ something.
    – Also , staying hydrated earlier in the day. I find that if I’m dehydrated when 5pm hits, I’m much more likely to crave alcohol. I’f I’m thirsty at 5pm, the automatic go to was always alcohol (which of course does anything but hydrate you). So whilst exercise definitely helps the process of quitting, I found it was REALLY important to make sure I drank a lot of water after a long workout.
    TOTALLY WORTH IT – Feeling great at 6 weeks 🙂

38. noiseynerd 10 months ago

Day 3 for me.
    It is a beautiful afternoon. Enjoying a fruit juice, and shortly I will go jogging.
    The weekend will be a big test for me. I intend to keep physically active.
    I so dearly want to change my habits and mindset towards something a lot more positive and healthful

39. Anonymous 10 months ago

Day #2. Feeling the 5:00 urge. Staying at work a bit later and going to take a class to break up my pattern. If I really DECIDED to drink, it would be ok, but the drink decides for me. I HATE being a prisoner, besides feeling completely ashamed of myself.

40. Wally 10 months ago

Day 1 not sure how I’m going to go but I’m sick of not knowing how I got to bed and waking up with such a headache and the all the lies and excuses and hiding the bottles etc etc etc. But here’s to courage and a very very strong will

41. maddoglady 10 months ago

Day 1 and already a stress head lol. First dry evening ahead in 20 years arghhhhhh. Armed with books and this web site to help.

42. run30us 10 months ago

It’s hard to get through the afternoon sometimes. It’s almost like a switch goes off. But I know when I want to drink that it’s not really about the drink itself. In that moment, I want connection. It is so hard to fight that urge, though.

43. ColoradoMan 10 months ago

I crave alcohol more in the afternoon if I have had an exceptionally busy day at my part-time post-retirement Job. I always thought I needed a glass of wine to relax but it always turned into a full bottle. Most times recently it turned into a full magnum. That is three regular bottles. Talk about not feeling well the next morning!! OMG!!
    Now, when I have been busy and am tired, I come home, say HI to the pups and go to my room and take a nap. Sometimes I nap for more than an hour. Afterwards, I find the need to have some wine to relax is gone or more easily tollerated with.
    It seems to work for me. That first glass of wine always relaxes me, but then I need more and more to make myself numb. I hate that but it’s part of the addiction.

44. HopeElephante 10 months ago

My first day of joining this group. I can’t even tell my Love as he’d say “Yeah right”. Do I have a drinking problem, or just a habit that I’d like to get rid of? I would normally drink 1/2 btl of wine or 3x drinks (doubles) almost every night at home. We live in the country so we don’t go out…and I’m not that social anyway. I don’t drink to get drunk…just to get a slight buzz…still…I’d like to take a break for awhile. The habit starts at Wine O’clock…what else would I do whilst cooking dinner? This will be an interesting journey.

45. Wildflower 10 months ago

I have a cold glass of of 0% beer
    Then walk my dogs and get into the garden and nature.

46. r51252 10 months ago

I am on Day 5 of being Sober. Travelling alone in Italy (Florence, Naples, now in Rome), I drank a whole bottle of wine one evening (darn, the Italian wine tasted good) and texted All of my siblings in a group chatting and embarrassed myself (and I can’t forgive myself). My family is very important to me so I am going to choose my family over wine. There are 20-30 cozy/beautiful restaurants/bars between my lodging and a museum or Capitoline or Coliseum, etc., very tempting as everyone is holding wine/beer glasses but I am drinking Coffee in the evening.
    I make a Big pot of coffee, but drink just a little with Sugar, it seems this is helpful for me.
    I know I will struggle more when I return home with my hubby, 2 kids, and MIL w Alzheimer.
    I find it that I feel more stress with my own family but reading a book called Emotional Agility has been very helpful .
    Good luck everyone!

47. Nowlearnon 10 months ago

I went drinking yesterday, I went down to my local and borrowed money for alcohol. I wish I hadn’t, I totally regret drinking. I won’t drink today I will keep out of pubs, especially my local. I’ve sent away for a book, from amazon This Naked Mind, by Annie Grace, I’ve heard great feed back about, this book.

• jlamont 10 months ago

Let me know how the book helps thanks

48. Modular 10 months ago

I’m drinking now I’m sorry to say. I didn’t make it through beer o’clock. I’ll come back and go again. Why didn’t I make it? The Voice isn’t a voice, for me it holds my arm in a lock behind back and marches me to the shop. It’s that bad.

• Sally 8 months ago

Wow…
      I am certainly not alone. I swear off drinking in the middle of the night with a headache and desert mouth, wake up determined and by 4:00 am sure just one drink ( and not just wine) would be great. Of course, two is better het. All self control leaves after one. And that goes for food too so my target weight is a joke. Did read this naked mind last year and it was a miracle! No craving. Happy. So happy that while out to dinner with friends I decided ( in my happy wisdom) to have one glass of wine. Moral to this story for me? Been drinking ever since. I cannot stop after one. Crap. So now I join the blog realizing I have to abstain. Loved the 4:00 dog walking schedule change. After two happy dogs and mother nature, a drink may be a lot less appealing. Starting today. Wish me luck.

• Tobeabettermum 10 months ago

Hang in there

49. PermacultureKiwi 11 months ago

yay friday night and got through the supermarket without buying wine and my 3.30 first glass watching peoples court… patterns… i bit bored and looking for things to do… listening to podcasts and making a nice dinner and netflix… tomorrow after the vege market trip will be tough… i have a plan to keep busy… fingers crossed… i am glad today to join this group… fingers crossed 7 days sober
    take care

• Hope5 10 months ago

I am on day 7 too – feeling nervous about tonight though but hopeful too every part of my being is telling me to keep going and that it is the right thing and that some point not too far off in the future I will look back and feel proud of myself for the first time in a long time – let’s get through this …

50. AmazinGrace 11 months ago

First night down!! Yay ? feel so much better today, but it’s sat night and I live alone too. Reading all your posts is so helpful, so over feeling sh*t everyday and not remembering the night or how I got into bed. I have to go to different liquor stores now, so ashamed of how much booze I drink in a week, I rotate around 3 or 4 of them. In between buying the cheapest cask wine I can find and then tell the cashier ‘it’s just for cooking’. The shame. Here’s to night number 2, please please please let me do it ?? X

• JudyB 10 months ago

Well done for getting into it! I hate that not remembering and feeling guilty and shameful too. Sucks. I’m on day three. If I can, you can!

Licensed by NZ Drug Foundation under Creative Commons 4.0 2020. Built by Bamboo Creative and powered by Flywheel.