This post follows on from the "Saying Goodbye to 2018' post from @suek I published last week. Here she is sharing another ritual she has developed, this one for welcoming in the new year. Again - feel free to adjust as necessary depending on what time and space you have available. Any little formal process you can go through to mark the start of a new year would be helpful I think.
Once again decide on where you want to carry out your ritual. It could be a whole room in your home, a special chair, desk at the library or at a local cafe. Wherever you can get some time to yourself.
Set up mat, cushion, blankets, candle, music—whatever you need for meditation/yoga/writing.
Use a brand new journal or writing notebook. (Or digital file!)
Prepare some drinks/food for the writing session. Tea, chocolate, fruit… small nourishing things.
Cleanse your body. Take a shower, bath, or swim—a ritual cleanse to start the new year.
Dress in clean clothes – your favourites!
Light a candle, to shine the way into the unknown.
Meditate however you usually do it, for as long as you like.
Do some yoga/movement if you feel like it. Use one of these free videos if you like.
Now it's time for some writing. Use a brand new journal, notebook or digital file. Use these questions to help set your intentions and focus for 2019.
- What new things would you like to learn in 2019?
- What dreams or longings would you like to pursue in 2019?
- What personal qualities do you want to grow and strengthen in 2019?
- Do you anticipate major challenges in 2019? How would you like to face them?
- What could you do this year that would make you proud of yourself?
- What could you do to increase your health and vitality? Physical, mental and spiritual.
- What habits would you like to pick up in 2019? What habits would you like to drop?
- What relationships do you want to make a priority in 2019?
- What could you do to support and nourish yourself in 2019?
- What could you do to delight yourself? On a daily basis… and anything big, one-off.
Read over your responses. Are there any recurring words or themes? Note them down.
Write a note of encouragement for yourself. Imagine you’re a close friend, about to embark on a journey of a new year. What would you tell her? What advice would you give? What cautions and what encouragements?
Now, write a heartfelt welcome note to 2019. Tell it what your heart desires, and how you plan to honour this time of your life.
Keep the journal going! Refer to these writings often during 2019.
Move your body!Do some yoga, dance, bounce, shake, got for a walk or run - any kind of movement you feel like, for as
long as you like.
Sit still. Say “Welcome 2019! May I live you to the full.”
Look yourself in the eye in the mirror and smile!
The new year welcome ritual is over. (Please don’t forget to blow out the candle!)
Wishing you a year of love and light and power.