I love anything to do with ginger. Any sort of herbal tea with ginger in it, ginger crunch, ginger loaf, ginger in stir-fries, ginger in curries, ginger any which way!! This is a recipe for a ginger nectar that you could use as the basis for a cool fizzy drink, or as a lovely winter warmer. I got out the big machinery (my juicer) to extract the ginger juice - if you don't have one you could finely grate the fresh root and just use it like that or squeeze it tightly in a piece of cloth to extract the juice. The quantities given here make enough nectar for at least 10 drinks and the mixture will store in the fridge for a week.
1 large piece of fresh ginger (approx 100g) - juiced
1/2 cup honey
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
First make the the ginger nectar:
- Stir together the honey and boiling water until the honey has melted
- Add lemon and ginger juice and stir
- Leave to cool
To make individual drinks:
- Put 3-4 tbsp of the nectar into a glass
- Top with fizzy water and ice cubes for a refreshing drink, or...
- Top with boiling water for a hot drink.