- Negative emotions suck and cause discomfort, but sitting with them and feeling them 100% in the raw helps immensley in understanding them and getting over them quicker.
- I am a very watery person and used to say that sadness was my least favourite emotion. But nowdays I find sadness intimate and tender and a good excuse to be kind to myself.
- Powerful positive emotions like pure elation or overwhelming joy don't come often, but when they do it feels soooo good (way better than drunk happy emotions).
- It's really important to recognise when things aren't particularly bad or good but just trucking along nicely. Notice the ordinary.
- Life is not a party all of the time nor should it be. Parites and energetic times are great, but we need the quiet times in between as well.
- Uplifting music can brighten any day. Remember to play it when you're feeling stuck, bonus points if you do a kitchen boogie!
- Speaking of moving your body, it's vital. If I let too many days go when I'm doing nothing but sitting around I feel blah. Pick your movement - gentle, vigorous, slow, fast, indoors, outdoors, whatever you like. It helps.
- Yoga is not overrated. It's very, very lovely.
- I love dancing! Particularly with props (e.g. glow sticks, ribbons).
- Owning a dog changes your life for the better in numerous ways. I'm sure cats to the same thing. Pets are good for humans.
- Getting 8 uninterrupted hours of sleep most nights is FREAKING AMAZING!! I regularly wake up after a monster night's sleep and marvel at how good it feels.
- Owning your truth is empowering and brave and no-one judges you harshly for admitting your struggles.
- It is entirely possible to live a full, fun life without touching alcohol ever. Believe it.
13 things I have discovered in sobriety