- Negative emotions suck and cause discomfort, but sitting with them and feeling them 100% in the raw helps immensley in understanding them and getting over them quicker.
- I am a very watery person and used to say that sadness was my least favourite emotion. But nowdays I find sadness intimate and tender and a good excuse to be kind to myself.
- Powerful positive emotions like pure elation or overwhelming joy don't come often, but when they do it feels soooo good (way better than drunk happy emotions).
- It's really important to recognise when things aren't particularly bad or good but just trucking along nicely. Notice the ordinary.
- Life is not a party all of the time nor should it be. Parites and energetic times are great, but we need the quiet times in between as well.
- Uplifting music can brighten any day. Remember to play it when you're feeling stuck, bonus points if you do a kitchen boogie!
- Speaking of moving your body, it's vital. If I let too many days go when I'm doing nothing but sitting around I feel blah. Pick your movement - gentle, vigorous, slow, fast, indoors, outdoors, whatever you like. It helps.
- Yoga is not overrated. It's very, very lovely.
- I love dancing! Particularly with props (e.g. glow sticks, ribbons).
- Owning a dog changes your life for the better in numerous ways. I'm sure cats to the same thing. Pets are good for humans.
- Getting 8 uninterrupted hours of sleep most nights is FREAKING AMAZING!! I regularly wake up after a monster night's sleep and marvel at how good it feels.
- Owning your truth is empowering and brave and no-one judges you harshly for admitting your struggles.
- It is entirely possible to live a full, fun life without touching alcohol ever. Believe it.
Alcohol Drug Helpline: 0800 787 797
13 things I have discovered in sobriety
Recovery video…Mrs D | | Mrs D's Blog, community, video | 17
Crying Out Now is another awesome recovery blog everyone should know about. It was one of the first I discovered...
Call for Community ModeratorsMrs D | | Mrs D's Blog, sitenews | 3
As outlined in this recent post by @nathanb, we’re planning some changes to set up Living Sober for the next...
A different gratitude technique…Mrs D | | Mrs D's Blog, gratitude, self-help | 8
The fabulous sober blogger Mr Sponsorpants wrote a post the other day called ‘Drop The Rock‘ and in it...
Big Dinner Party!Mrs D | | Mrs D's Blog, brain re-training, fun, happy, socialising | 12
We’re hosting a big dinner party here on Saturday night. A 10th Anniversary Dinner Party Extravaganza! for our Antenatal...
The Fire Within…Mrs D | | Mrs D's Blog, emotions, self-help | 14
A lot of the time I'm just chugging on in my sober life feeling fair-to-middling. Worrying about my studies,...
Silly Season InspirationsMrs D | | Mrs D's Blog | 21
The end of the year can be a particularly tricky time for those of us who don't drink alcohol. It seems like...
4 tips to help you stay soberMrs D | | Mrs D's Blog | 24
I know the process of quitting alcohol is incredibly complex and different for everyone, but here are four steps...
A powerful update from member ‘bingerwhinger’Mrs D | | Mrs D's Blog, emotions, shame | 11
Happy Sunday morning everyone. Our dinner party was lovely, chatty and fun with lots of delicious food and drink. I...
I l❤️Ve this list! It would be interesting to create a reader generated list of joyful discoveries/epiphanies we have unearthed during our awakenings!!
What a beautiful truthful list. Thanks for sharing it, such a good reminder of all the positive elements contained in an alcohol free life.
The beautiful confident calm in this post is lovely. Makes me want to take up yoga again. : ) Thank-you Mrs. D for being such an inspiring and down-to-earth guide and friend to all here! xo